• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PM Attending Grey Cup, But not the return of PTE Woodfield

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pte_Martin

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm just wondering how many people other than me find it disgraceful that our Prime Minister is attending the grey cup game instead of being the CFB Trenton for the return of PTE Woodfield? I mean if he had something urgent to attend to i could see that but the grey cup.

and why not the Grey Cup? Why does that national, uniquely Canadian event not warrent the attendance of the Prime Minister?

I would rather have him there then at Trenton. The people who need to be there are going to be in attendace, as George mentioned.

call me a cynic but I think it's not a surprise - there are more voters watching the Grey Cup. 

Besides, I prefer not to see his insincere mug in the background on the news coverage.

Does President Bush attend the return of every soldier killed in Iraq?

I think we need to stop thinking ourselves as being special, sure we do something outside the norm, but all of us know the risk. why does one of our own dying warrent such attendance as our head of state, for me If I don't come home alive from a tour as long as my wife and child are there and members of my regiment thats all the honor I need in my return after that the CDS would just be a bonus. I don't need the PM to be there he has a job to do and I already did mine.

IMO of course.

No the President does not meet the bodies of fallen servicemen/women at Dover AFB. I do not believe that the PM needed to be at CFB Trenton. Nor does he need to be at the funeral although it would be a nice touch. I believe that there has been a flag officer at each funeral.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2005/11/27/woodfield-home051127.html

No kidding - I'm not seeing much to this thread except an effort to stir the shitpot....

I see he was booed at the coin toss.  Disgustingly tasteless behaviour.

hamiltongs said:
I see he was booed at the coin toss.   Disgustingly tasteless behaviour.

i was just going to say that but you beat me to the punch.  Sure he may not be well liked right about now but lets have some class.

I'm still at work so I didn't see it, but thats pathetic.......

hamiltongs said:
I see he was booed at the coin toss.   Disgustingly tasteless behaviour.

Typical mob mentality.  About as tasteful as fans at a Vancouver Canucks game booing the American national anthem following the friendly fire incident.  I felt ashamed of my fellow citizens at that point in time.

people want to boo him, let them. Such has been the way of the mob since the founding of Athens. It ain't gonna change any time soon. Besides, nobody complains when they applaud.

And I wouldn't want that sumbitch anywhere near my coffin, so why wish his presence on Pte Woodfield?

The CDS and MND are fine no need for the PM,

As for the boo.....well that is not very classy but when you think about it, he represents the party that stole millions from us, I think that maybe it was frustration, classless but still frustration. Had we been in Brazil and it been soccer he may have been lynched!

Everyone remember the insanity that went with with the friendly fire incident?  While I'm sure it was well intentioned, I personaly thought it was more than a little disturbing.  Funerals are private events held so that the the family and friends of the deceased can have a final chance to say goodbye.  They should not be turned into multi-milion dollar media circuses, nor do they require the presence of politicians.

Infanteer said:
No kidding - I'm not seeing much to this thread except an effort to stir the shitpot....

I really wasn't trying to stir nothing up! I was just curious to see how many people thought i way i did.. but some people had some good points and i would have to say now that i agree with the points of other people and having the MD and CDS there was enough.

on a separate note, Black Eye Peas are definitely rasing CBC's ratings!

he probably would have been better recieved in Trenton, then he was in Vancouver, heh.

Even if I'm not a fan of Mr. Martin, I (obviously) have respect for the institution he represents, as I think any canadian should. All the booing dissapointed me. Considering the event is a symbol of national unity, seeing as people from one coast to the other were probably tuning in, I think it would have been appropriate to put aside all the dirty things the individual could be associated with and for once show a little patriotism and pride in our nation's democratic institutions. 

MP 811 said:
on a separate note, Black Eye Peas are definitely rasing CBC's ratings!

If you mean "razing" as in "completely destroying, burning to the ground", I'd have to agree with you... ;D

Never has a "mute" button came in so handy... :p

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back