• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Police Application and past Youth Criminal record

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Not sure if anyone here can answer this, but here it goes:

A buddy of mine is putting in an application to the local police department (not RCMP).  However, when he was about 14 he got caught stealing from a store and had a record under the youth justice act.  (He is 28 now) 

From what we understand, his record is erased after so many years if there is not further criminal activity (which there wasn't). 

On the police application form, it says one must be clear of any criminal activity for the past three years. No problem there either.

However, later in the application form it asks if you were ever convicted under the youth criminal act. etc.

Why does he has to give that information if the record has been erased?

Second, since he does have to tell them about it, how drastic would this past event have on his application?

The RCMP process is much like the CF's.  If you've done bad stuff in your past, it's okay, provided you fess up to it.  During my selection process, I was in contact with several serving (RCMP) family members, and they said the same thing.  Tell them what you've done.  Tell them what you've learned from it.  The RCMP understand that not all their officers have been saints...  I'm sure a conviction under the YOA from +14 years ago shouldn't be an issue.

The offence would (should) have been expunged from his record upon reaching the age of majority...  This is somewhat different under the new YCJA (iirc) but in his case, it would be the old YOA.  Someone with access to the CPIC would be able to tell you if the RCMP would discover this information during his application process.  I can guarantee that if he doesn't put it down, and they find out, he'll never serve with the RCMP.  Given that they will interview some of his friends and family, all it would take is one slip up...  IMHO.

T

YOA = Young Offender's Act
YCJA = Youth Criminal Justice Act

TORLYN provided some good advice on this subject. Namely be honest and own up to it, they will find out. One incidence of concealing previous involvement in a police investigation, be it in the charged, accused, other category will most likely get you punted from any and all police recruiting programs.

Believe me, the recruiters have heard everything, I know of a young MCpl who had several CF Charges including booting the officers mess doors in whilst drunk, who made it through.

Needless to say, the recruiters want to hear that you have learned from any involvement with the justice system, put it behind you and soldiered on to make yourself a better person/applicant. You also want to put some time and space between your application and the incident/offence before applying.

Cheers
Noneck

I know of a young MCpl who had several CF Charges including booting the officers mess doors in whilst drunk, who made it through. 
Ha! Wonder what one has to do to get a ban from applying again.

I'll let him know he has to fess up...since he got arrested by the same police force he is applying to, I am wondering if he really thinks they wouldn't know anyway. lol

Pieman said:
Not sure if anyone here can answer this, but here it goes:

A buddy of mine is putting in an application to the local police department (not RCMP).  However, when he was about 14 he got caught stealing from a store and had a record under the youth justice act.  (He is 28 now) 

From what we understand, his record is erased after so many years if there is not further criminal activity (which there wasn't). 

On the police application form, it says one must be clear of any criminal activity for the past three years. No problem there either.

However, later in the application form it asks if you were ever convicted under the youth criminal act. etc.

Why does he has to give that information if the record has been erased?

Second, since he does have to tell them about it, how drastic would this past event have on his application?

Yeah, be honest, admit it was wrong, past that part of your life, big mistake, etc. However if there wasn't a pardon, they may consider it when looking at the application. They consider shoplifting to be serious, but at age 14, 14 years ago, they may overlook it. I'd definately look into getting a pardon, as it probably wouldn't be hard to do.

Definately do not try to pass it by, cover it up, or lie. Bring it to their attention voluntarily. Personally, I think they can overlook it... but I'm not them, so you'd have to inquire yourself.

Best of luck.

I'd definitely look into getting a pardon, as it probably wouldn't be hard to do.
But if the youth criminal record has been erased, how could he get a pardon for something that technically no longer exists?  ???

I am going by what I THINK that means,......even though a serious conviction gets erased, the fact that there was a conviction does not if the charge is serious enough.

IE....should we forget about a murder at 15 once someone hits 18?

EDIT: also, if your friend is in doubt, for a small fee he can get his CPIC checked.[ ala a kids soccer/baseball coach]

I am with everyone who says be honest.  A ding for shoplifting at 14 is no big deal.  He just has to cover off why he did it and how he changed his ways.  Tell him to not bother minimizing it as well.  Trying the "I was just holding a bag for a guy, I didn't know what was going on" will not fly and will show a 28 year old to have not leared a lesson in honesty in 14 years.  Not good.
Even though it won't likely be on CPIC, the agency that arrested him will always have the report on file.  The information would only be available to other police agencies.  That is why on your app you have to list all of the addresses you have ever lived at. 
When I applied, one lucky Windsor member got a paid road trip to the GTA to check out my references and previous employers.  As well, I had a negative contact from when I was caught stealing Micronauts from Eaton's when I was 11.  Yes, I was a geek.  (Might still be, haha, beat you to it :blotto:)

zipperhead_cop said:
I am with everyone who says be honest.  A ding for shoplifting at 14 is no big deal.
It is a big deal, despite 15 years ago. I'd still mention it. Shoplifting is a very serious crime in the eyes of the RCMP.

Back