• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Poll: Pay to go to cadets or not

Do you think we should pay to go to cadets?

• Yes.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • No.

Votes: 74 79.6%
  • It depends on the amount of money we have to pay.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I don't care

Votes: 6 6.5%

• Total voters
We must also remember that there was a difference.. To the Hitler Youth hitler was their god.  It appeared that they were winning to them because hitler told them they were winning.  It was their unshakable faith in hitler that eventually brought about their downfall.  The hitler youth committed many attrocities without even knowing like dragging jewish germans into be put to work in "work camps" or so they thought.  It may seem reminiscent of the Hitler youth but I would rather lay my life down for my country than some crazed facist dictator and his retarded set of ideals.

i know but set that aside and think of it as a bunch of young children fighting and dieing for a cause they believe in.

after all that is why the Americas young marines are no longer allowed to use any kind of rifle on ftx's. a reporter took photos of them on an exercise and said could this be the next Hitler youth?

Burrows said:
OOOH WHAT FUN!!! *giggles like school girl and pulls out a plethora of weaponry* .... Is the glider balanced? :p
Should be, my instructor was leaning out his door a few times on final, and there's a window too!

-Hutch- said:
ya i would not trust a glider in cambat. have you ever seen a bridge to far? not what i would like to happan you know crash and have everyone on board die
Our gliders were made in the 60's an 70's. They're still some of the safest out there. It is almost impossible to put them into a spin or spiral dive by mistake. They are so positively stable I flew most of a 14 min flight hands off. From the time I released a t 2200' ASL, till I turned base at 700' ASL the only control I used was the rudder. It kept a constant speed, and course with no other input.

Now for the safety bit to really take hold, look at this site...

http://www.airforce.forces.ca/dfs/docs/Reports/fti_e.asp

Scroll down to cadets, click on any of the reports in which the aircraft was "SZ 2-33". I recommend the one in Debert. None of the pilots involved were killed or even seriously injured. It's been a hell of a long time since anything like that happened. We didn't even have any injuries on the field during the 7 weeks I was there. That's a damn good safety record.

2332Piper said:
I hope to god that never happens. Children (which is what most cadets are, age wise) cannot be trusted in anything remotely close to a combat scenario. Thats why they won't deploy (unless the poo hits the fan) any 16 or 17 year old CF members. Cadets have no place being a 'third line of defence'. Its a youth program. Enjoy it while you can.

Agreed. Not speaking from experience of course, but combat is not a game. You hear about adults having to cope with the effects of what they've witnessed and had to do in combat for years after, imagine what it would do to a 14 year old kid. Running around in the woods yelling "bang bang" is one thing. Firing live ammo at other human beings with the intent to kill them is quite another.

If you'd ever seen the movie "TAPS", you'd understand the degree of seriousness involved with putting kids in a combat situation. The movie is about some cadets at a military school (I assume in the States), an accident happens and a civilian teenager is shot. So all arms are ordered out of the school and the school is to be closed. The kids lockdown the place. Locking themselves inside with no adults. The Cadet Major (like the RSM) is the oldest, he's like 19 years old. These kids can not be expected to be able to defend themselves against "real" soldiers. They end up calling in the real army who basically take the camp over by force but not without 2 kids dying first. I realize it's a movie, but the connection I'm trying to make is in regards to young kids, 12 years old would be helpless and useless in a combat situation.

The way I see it, if defending our country ever comes down to cadets, we're all dead meat anyway.  ;)

I'm a party pooper, but did you really have to revive this thread to tell us about a movie?

Why Should We Have to pay for cadets? Its a great program when its free, and like many others have said, not everyone can afford to pay for it. So why wreck a good thing by making it another costly activity.

On the other hand it may stop some parents from forcing their kids into it against their own wishes. So paying for Cadets could go both ways, but I prefer it be Free.

I believe junior cadet corps around some places in North America, anyway (9-12 years old,) have fees. Any idea why?

WO Saorse said:
I believe junior cadet corps around some places in North America, anyway (9-12 years old,) have fees. Any idea why?

I have never heard of a junior cadet corps but if they do have to pay maybe its because they don't have sponsors like we do (DND and respective leagues).

I believe with Navy league there is a small fee...have to ask my brother to know for sure.

I think that if the fee was small(like $20 for the year) then we should, as long as the money was being put back into the corps through activities, trips etc.

Cadets has changed since when I was in, but it is still an awesome organization.

Pay to go to cadets LOL! That is the funniest thing I have heard so far folks.

Clearly someone had to revive this.  So keep it to a dull roar.

Personally paying to go to cadets is bad.  The ammount of money people have doesn't affect their potential.  Some of my best cadets have had low incomes but they have been the ones who try the hardest a lot of the time.

Kyle Burrows said:
Clearly someone had to revive this.   So keep it to a dull roar.

Personally paying to go to cadets is bad.   The ammount of money people have doesn't affect their potential.   Some of my best cadets have had low incomes but they have been the ones who try the hardest a lot of the time.

I agree with that sentiment. It was the same for me way back when. I figure though, that if they were to charge anything, keep it small and make sure it goes towards the specific unit and a fun activity, say a really fun winter survival weekend at a local mountain etc. If a family could not afford it, then maybe ask if they would be willing to volunteer for something extra to "pay the debt" per say...

One of the main reasons that drew me to Cadets originally was that it was free. I am from a relatively big family, so it was really nice to find an organization I could be a part of finally. My family didn't have money to shell out, so I was constantly left out of various clubs due to this. Cadets turned out to be the most rewarding and worth while experience I have ever had. I think that by making it cost money, people like me, would never get the opportunity to experience such a rewarding program.

No!

Because if it was so in Canada, I wouldn't be able to go to cadets...  :-\

It's bad idea.  Going to cadets is a place where you get to take on some leadership and build new skills.  As a teenage it was a great place for me, and I doubt I would of gone if I had to pay for it.  You put a lot of time into cadets if your serious and you shouldn't have to pay.  Even a small fee starts to mark people out as haves and have not, and that's not a good.

If  a payment plan was set I would say that within in 5 years most corps would be gone, and cadets would be dead in the water.

radiohead said:
Even a small fee starts to mark people out as haves and have not, and that's not a good.

Good point.
We were never well off back when I was in cadets and what my mom liked was that it was free.

What about special fundraising for fun activities like day trips to the waterslides, amusement parks, weekend adventure camps etc??
Say like bottle drives, bake sales?

Back