• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PONGO -Origin of this term

beaverpass

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am looking for the origin and/or meaning of the term 'PONGO' to describe army personnel. Is it a  'Canadian only' or is it used in other countries within British Commonwealth ?

I was a member of the RCAF 1958-1989 and recall the term PONGO being used frequently (in a friendly sense) during that entire period when referring to army personnel, either as a group or individually. It was certainly not a new term at the time I joined up in 1958, and I can not comment on the origin of the term.

Any help on the origin or meaning of PONGO appreciated.

Ken MacLean
Orleans, Ontario 

The term "Pongo" was common in the British Forces to denote an Infantryman.  This was an old term when I entered service in the late '70's.  As I was told, a "Pongo' was an ape that when alarmed did not climb trees.  But would dig holes and hide itself on the ground reminding the onlooker of infantrymen.  Hence the naming of local colonial troops.  I don't know if this is true, but it was the subject of a few drinks and much discussion in the mess.

oridgenates somewhere in the 1840's from the Royal Marines. A term of high respect for their well trained fine upstanding counterparts the infantryman.
OR
Pongo -Word given to army personnel, 'where the army goes the pong goes'
Pong-beer

3rd Herd said:
oridgenates somewhere in the 1840's from the Royal Marines. A term of high respect for their well trained fine upstanding counterparts the infantryman.
OR
Pongo -Word given to army personnel, 'where the army goes the pong goes'
Pong-beer

In that context, I think this might be the "pong" they meant:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/pong
Noun 1. pong - an unpleasant smell
          fetor, foetor, malodor, malodour, reek, stench, stink, mephitis - a distinctive odor that is offensively unpleasant

English slang and colloquialisms used in the United Kingdom
http://www.peevish.co.uk/slang/

pong  Noun. An unpleasant smell. {Informal}
Verb. To stink. {Informal}

google pongo and get

Pongo pygmaeus
(orangutan)

it's all clear now
knuckle dragger

Frankie said:
google pongo and get

Pongo pygmaeus
(orangutan)

A large Bornean ape which digs holes in the ground for no apparent reason.

I don't have my Concise Oxford Dictionary handy, but I believe it defines Pongo as a West African ape.

Orangutans (Pongo) have a vocal repertoire of about 13 sounds. Within a small social group they communicate with lip smacking. They scream when scared, and males sometimes roar. They seem to grind their teeth when frustrated. Males also emit a long series of loud groans, which can be heard by a human up to 1 kilometer away.

(over the years, have had a couple of RSMs who resemble that ;))

In reference to my last post, the Concise Oxford Dictionary defines pongo as "(Early name for) a large antropold African ape; (improp.) orangoutang. [native]"

Old Sweat...
Am certain you've called your RSM worse

To confirm Haggis' definition....

As it was explained to me, the term was originally applied to members of the Royal Marines by the sailors of the RN. "Pongo" does come from the archaic name for the orangutan, which was apparently notable for the habit of digging holes in the earth and then filling them back in for no discernable reason. This was enough of a similarity for the sailors and thus the name pongo was born.

This was explained to me by an Air Force captain, so I have no clue as to whether or not he was pulling my leg. If it is, I'd like to know what sort of names the Marines cooked up for their tormentors.

VanZeumeren said:
To confirm Haggis' definition....

As it was explained to me, the term was originally applied to members of the Royal Marines by the sailors of the RN. "Pongo" does come from the archaic name for the orangutan, which was apparently notable for the habit of digging holes in the earth and then filling them back in for no discernable reason. This was enough of a similarity for the sailors and thus the name pongo was born.

This was explained to me by an Air Force captain, so I have no clue as to whether or not he was pulling my leg. If it is, I'd like to know what sort of names the Marines cooked up for their tormentors.
We called them many things, squids, comes readily to mind among the politer phrases.

I, too, have been called worse.

In retrospect, orangutans (pongos) are quite strong, sociable and somewhat intelligent.  Thjey are also considered "good looking" in ape terms.  And they are the preferred ape of Clint Eastwood, the quintessential "over 40" tough guy.

I'll answer to "Hey Pongo!" if there's beer to be had.

Pongo- " A large hairless ape that digs holes in the ground for no apparent reason and doesn't have the sense to come in out of the rain"

My own experience is that the term comes from the slang "pong" - a strong, unpleasant odour. Where the army goes, pong goes......... PONGO!

Pongo is a highly virile canine, so much so that he sired 101 dalmatians.

Back