• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Port Security: An Opinion

Ex-Dragoon

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
Being a resident of Halifax (one of the largest ports) and a member of the navy I thought I would share my views on port security and what should be done to keep our ports safe.
Current Measures are not adequate in my views. A RHIB with MPs  plus city police is only asking for trouble. The thing is what should we do? I am not sure about other ports but a few years ago we had Port Police that were disbanded turning patrol duties over to the local constabulary. Most police departments have a lot on their plate already and this added responsibility only makes matters worse.
What can be done? I don't have the answers but I think we should invest in small harbour patrol boats capable of mounting at least a .50 HMG and a couple of GPMGs. A port boarding party should be established with each ship rotating the duty. This could even be a shore posting and would not have to be the 20 man teams found on the ships, a 10 man team would probably suffice. DFO/CCG could probably be tasked with providing crews for this PBs and the gun crews. Wil it happen? Doubtful but something has to be done. Out to you folks.

In B.C. it was shads and now its guys on pat platoon.....MP's arent involved until a vessel violently resists boarding by the 3 man RHIB crew. The program in its current state is grossly inadequate......

Even worse then here....I have to wonder if the other ports in Canada have even what we have?

In Van they have just started to seal off the Dock's with only 3 gate's to enter.

with the first block being a commisionaire....the seconds a commish , and pat platoon no hook with C7.

Ex-Dragoon said:
Current Measures are not adequate in my views. A RHIB with MPs  plus city police is only asking for trouble. The thing is what should we do? I am not sure about other ports but a few years ago we had Port Police that were disbanded turning patrol duties over to the local constabulary. Most police departments have a lot on their plate already and this added responsibility only makes matters worse.
What can be done? I don't have the answers but I think we should invest in small harbour patrol boats capable of mounting at least a .50 HMG and a couple of GPMGs. A port boarding party should be established with each ship rotating the duty. This could even be a shore posting and would not have to be the 20 man teams found on the ships, a 10 man team would probably suffice. DFO/CCG could probably be tasked with providing crews for this PBs and the gun crews. Wil it happen? Doubtful but something has to be done. Out to you folks.

this makes sense! browsing the various DND sites, i wondered why we dont use confiscated "go fasts" or why the police boats JTF2 uses arent even armed? http://seals.longboys.net/rib-new.jpg Seals (and im sure marines) have guns mounted on thier vessels. why arent our RHIBs outfitted also? are the higher ups on the various defence committees oblivous to the facts that you guys raise? or the security needs for our ports?

http://seals.longboys.net/pbl-full.jpg
http://seals.longboys.net/hsb_full.jpg

also i hope our new helos that replace the sea kings can perform amphibious zodiac drops from the cargo bay like this... http://seals.longboys.net/CRRC2.jpg

good topic. good proposals men. :army:

Well on the water. Originally we did not own the water unlike the U.S. . DND could not react until an individual actually set foot on DND property. so the only actual authority would be local police or RCMP.
Boat crews in Victoria had to be given some kind of peace officer status. and they finally gave us a restricted access zone on the water. That took some kind of act of parliament.

PORT SECURTY in Canada has been around for 14 years or more and in my opinion since it is a naval reserve responsibility that the reg force brass is not concerned. People are not taking it seriously enough.

YES Port security has been around for fourteen years nobody cared about it till (911) now every body is an expert. What upsets me is you have people who have not even set foot in a PS boat taking up key billets and due to their ignorance of PS tactics they tend to screw up the system. (but I digress)

There is a PS Boat operators course its only one week in length and they don't even skim the top of what I consider necessary curriculum. They do spend a day on tailoring the boat.

They don't touch anti swimmer they don't touch tactical use of pyro etc etc I could go on for ever on what a Coxn should be taught.
As fro .50 cal on a boat. well I am all for it if we were in someone else's front yard but I don't want some one who has never fired large cal weapon from a violently moving platform at a moving target 100 yards from my uncles back door.

Again there is no training fro boats crew in regards to firing from a boat. I have done the training with the USCG special missions school and I did forward the rang SOP's through the chain of command and my recommendations of how to do range training in regard s to PS boats. But it did not go any where.

As it is we are not armed appropriately. I won't go into it but a long rifle in a small boat is not that easy to handle. and the c.7 wont stop a boat. I ll leave it at that again I sent a 5 page memo of recommendations and concerns in regard to weapons and training in regards to PS boats.

The boats being used by PS in Victoria 24 ft rhib pc. 27 foot condemned SAR boat.  25 20 year old borrowed  25 foot fisheries boats orange  and yellow in color top speed 20 knots or so. All except the 24 foot rhibs theses boats are slugs.( don't quote me on the specs of these boats) and I will say the guys in Vic are doing what they can with what they have.

We are still working on dressing boats crews properly let alone getting new boats lol.

Back