• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Possible Problems with BMQ training

N

Neon_Dion

Hello all.

I am Private Marson and I have just completed my pre-BMQ course. I am leavin to CFB Pettewawa on Sunday and will stay there in July for my BMQ and also August for my DP1(Artillery course).  My huge dilemna here is that my wisdom teeth are starting to bother me right now. It's a little bit painful to chew food. However I'm really hoping the pain will go away. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a solution to me because I know very little about wisdom teeth. I was supposed to get them pulled in the summer but I will be on course and cancelled the apointment. Will I be able to tough it out until September... or will I be able to have them removed on base in Pettewawa.... or will I be kicked out of the course because the pain will only escalate severely? Any help to this topic would be much appreciated.

Pte. Marson

**********************... hehe j/k, but for real go get it checked out at a dentist asap... wisdom teeth only take a few days to heal enough to the point where you can deal with life.

inappropriate comment removed - rg

Might seem stupid, but it works wonders....
Use clean cheesecloth (or papertowel if none handy) and make some saltwater (tablesalt/water mixture) and bite down on it as close to the wisdom teeth as possible. Saltwater will clean infection from the broken gums....Food gets lodged there and becomes infected. It would be really ideal for you to get a syringe with a plastic tip from dentist and spray salt water in the infected areas.... Your dentist would tell you the same.... Try not to let it spoil the fun!  ;D

Get thee to a dentist NOW.  I had my wisdom teeth pulled when I was about 28 years old - hurt like hell for about three days, then I was good to go.

If you DON'T go to a dentist, it will continue to hurt like hell, and you'll NEVER be good to go.

Get on it.

Retired CC

Pte Marson, call your dentist today, explain the situation to them, and ask if they can take care of it.  If they can't, ask them to refer you to someone who can.  There are almost always good dentists in a town who will leave a couple of appointments open for dental emergencies, which, while this isn't truly, you may be able to convince them of the importance.

Play up the DND angle, it makes them feel like they're doing their bit for the military, too.  It's not a terrible procedure, it might take a couple of days for the swelling to go down, but not too bad.

I recall a dental truck behind the BMS in the field in Wainwright with a steady stream of troops in and out;  my brother-in-law-to-be had his removed at 1130, and was back in his cougar by 1600.  I had a surgical root canal at 1600 one day, and was on a flight to Edmonton 0800 the next morning for a week of pre-deployment training (I was teaching it, not taking it)  I needed a couple of interpreters to decipher my mumbles and explain why the MCpl had tears in his eyes whenever he went out in the cold, but I lived.

BTW, thanks for that Bart, JJ, Robin!  (Quick, name the four medics you'd LEAST like to send to train 1 GS BN....)

Each case is different, and it may turn out that they'll look at an x-ray, think general anesthetic and book you in for a week or two from now, but it may also be a simple visit done in a couple of hours.  YMMV.  I'm pretty sure you don't want to be thinking about your jaw when you need to be naming weapon parts or learning drill.  OMG, drill will really suck with impacted wisdom teeth!  :-[

hope this helps,

DF

Ya going to the dentist would be your best bet. My girlfriend picked at hers because it was pissing her off and it got infected. More of a hassle because you have to see a doctor too.

Anyways good luck with that!

Like ParaMedTech says, each case is different. I had all four pulled with locals, at the same sitting, and they had to bust up two with a little hammer and chisel. Sewed up the gums and I went back to work right after. Go get them done.

I'm aware this is a very old thread, but I do have a similar situation. 

I leave for BMQ in 17 days and I have had minor (Maybe I'm saying they're minor and trying to tough it out, I'm not sure) problems with my wisdom teeth.  For the past 6 months or so, my wisdom teeth have begun to come up.  Since I am not in school, past age 23 and living with my parents, I have no insurance for the removal.  It got bad about 2 months ago, to the point where I couldn't chew.  I modified my diet to include only soft food and the pain and swelling disappeared.  I figured I couldn't hold out any longer and went to my dentist.  He x-rayed it and said that they are indeed coming in crooked as well as there's no room.  However he would have to refer me to a more specialized dentist for the procedure because of where my nerves lie in my jaw.  He also, being aware of my financial situation, advised me that I could probably wait longer for the procedure until my financial situation improved. He prescribed some anti-inflammatory medication, some sort of bacterial fighting meds and pain-killers in case the swelling and pain returned. 
As of right now, I haven't had any pain since two months ago and haven't had to take the medication.  (The anti-bacterial must be taken until it runs out, so I feared using it too early and having stronger problems later since my application took a long time)

My question now is, I do have the x-ray and recommendations from my dentist, and I plan on bringing them to BMQ. Will I be reprimanded for leaving this issue to last minute? (My recruiting center is aware but essentially told me not to worry about it).
Personally I think it's under control now, that it's been awhile since any inflammation but I do know that there may be potential problems in the future if it's not taken care of soon.

Thank you in advance!

Army'll pull them for ya once you get a dental done and can afford a week on light duties. They wouldn't let me go overseas with mine in, and they were not causing any pain or discomfort and had all erupted relatively straight.

PuckChaser said:
Army'll pull them for ya once you get a dental done and can afford a week on light duties. They wouldn't let me go overseas with mine in, and they were not causing any pain or discomfort and had all erupted relatively straight.

That's what I figured... that eventually once I'm done the first bit they'll get pulled. I was told (by current members) that I would probably have to get them pulled and figured out prior to BMQ because it can cause a lot of problems during.  But I figure with my pain tolerance if it gets bad I can hack it.  Thanks for your response (And yours too George Wallace.  ;D)

dukka
If your dentist says it's ok to defer & the recruiting centre says it's ok.... why are you trying to second third guess this thing ???   if it is as you say "uneder control" then keep your documents handy & remember to look after things when they do flare up or the time permits for you to get it done properly.

Although I cannot see your 3rd molar coming in, I suspect you are having a common condition know as pericoronitis. 

As mentioned, this condition will most often (in the military) require the removal of the wisdom teeth (3rd molar).  There are somethings you can do in order to minimize the chance of an exacerbation, or the extent of an exacerbation of the symptoms you have mentioned while you are waiting for a better time (like the end of BMQ) to get the teeth removed.

If you look in your mouth you should see a little 'hole" or flap in your gum line behind your second molar where the tooth is erupting.  People get into problems when food and debris get stuck under this flap or in this hole.  Thus... you need to try and keep stuff out from that area.  This can be done with enhanced oral hygiene and mouth rinses (even if quick) after you eat.  Often and antibacterial solution (such as Listerine)  is recommended.  If it starts or get sore and swell up, you revert to the soft diet and can try rinsing the area with warm salt water as often as possible and taking over the counter pain killers to help you through the exacerbation.  If you are keen you could also take a cotton tipped applicator with some Listerine on it and try and cleaning under the flap to remove any debris, this is best done as early as possible before the swelling gets too bad and you cannot get with cotton applicator under the flap.  If those tips do not work, or it keeps getting worse then it is off to dental sick parade for evaluation by a Dental Officer. 

Good luck on BMQ, and may your teeth not get in the way of your training. 

Cheers,

MC

Ok I'm not a dentist, but I know some things.  First, I just had mine out a few weeks ago because I didn't want them to get in the way of BMQ.  Yea it hurts bad for a few days but your recovery time depends on how impacted they are.  For some people its a few days, others it two weeks.

Also, yes the pain might go away after a few days, but you still have to take it easy.  If you go running or excerpt yourself, the dissolvable  stitches can tear, or your blood clots healing the wound can rip and you will start to bleed.

Go to the bloody dentist!  Sometimes the pain will come for a week or two, then go away for months.  You need X-Rays to tell if they will be a continuous bother. 

Good Luck, Kyle

MedTechStudent said:
Ok I'm not a dentist, but I know some things.  First, I just had mine out a few weeks ago because I didn't want them to get in the way of BMQ.  Yea it hurts bad for a few days but your recovery time depends on how impacted they are.  For some people its a few days, others it two weeks.

Also, yes the pain might go away after a few days, but you still have to take it easy.  If you go running or excerpt yourself, the dissolvable  stitches can tear, or your blood clots healing the wound can rip and you will start to bleed.

Go to the bloody dentist!  Sometimes the pain will come for a week or two, then go away for months.  You need X-Rays to tell if they will be a continuous bother. 

Good Luck, Kyle

..... I did go to the dentist.  And I have the x-ray and a report and recommendations from my dentist.  I can't get them out now... I'm 15 days away and well... no insurance! Geeze Kyle.... read :p (just kidding!!!!!)

Edit:
Thanks Medtech, I do have giant holes in my mouth, I try to keep everything pretty clean.  Your advice is always helpful!

dukkadukka said:
..... I did go to the dentist.  And I have the x-ray and a report and recommendations from my dentist.  I can't get them out now... I'm 15 days away and well... no insurance! Geeze Kyle.... read :p (just kidding!!!!!)

Edit:
Thanks Medtech, I do have giant holes in my mouth, I try to keep everything pretty clean.  Your advice is always helpful!

Wow, its been a long day, failed to realize the first post was from years ago.  Oh my my my.  :-[

Back