• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Posting locations as a member of RCEME

hyung7423

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello, I am OCdt. Ahn. :salute:

I will be attending the BMOQ pretty soon. And I wish to know where in Canada I can work after my professional training. I currently live in BC, and I prefer to choose BC as my work location if possible. So far, I could only find a Service Battalion consisting of two companies (11 and 12, Victoria and Richmond respectively). But it is a service battalion for reserve force members. Can I, as a regular force EME officer, choose any air force wing or army base in BC?

Thank you in advance.
:cdn:

You will be posted where the CAF requires you.  There are RCEME officers on most (if not all bases) across Canada, but as a junior, newly-trained one, you're most likely to end up at one of the major Army bases: think Gagetown, Valcartier, Petawawa, Shilo, Wainwright and Edmonton.

Aha, I am starting to see how it might work out for me. Thank you, kind stranger :)
:salute:

BC also does not have a lot of options for RegF anymore since the bases were shut and units were moved. The only RegF options left are the Air Force and Navy in Esquimalt and Comox. While there are EME Officers posted to those bases, the positions are few and they are popular places to be - meaning very tough competition to get posted there. Being attach posted to a Reserve Unit is also not something that happens for an officer right out of the gate, you'll have to undergo a few years of training before that option becomes viable to you; however there's other factors that limit those Attach Posts as well (budget, availability).

RedcapCrusader said:
Being attach posted to a Reserve Unit is also not something that happens for an officer right out of the gate, you'll have to undergo a few years of training before that option becomes viable to you; however there's other factors that limit those Attach Posts as well (budget, availability).

RSS are normal postings not attached postings.

Yes after you complete your training at the RCEMES, it's very likely that you will end up at one of the RegF service battalions, or Gagetaown, shilo, or Wainwright as possibilities.  If you are hoping to get close to home I'd ask for 1 Svc Bn in Edmonton or Shilo or Wainwright, that is as close as you are going to get.  The RCEME officer positions in BC are for qualified Capt in Maint O positions, you might stand a chance at one of them after your 2-3 years at your training posting.

AndrewEME said:
I wonder why army bases have been shut down in BC...?

Back in the 90's all regF units in the west were centralized in Edmonton or Shilo, we had ASU's in BC, but as part of the last round of closures the ASU's were closed and their functions moved to the PRes Svc Bn, with a small fraction of the PY's being moved.  So right now only the RCN and RCAF have large bases in BC, and if a RFA is made by the BC government it's the units in Edmonton that get to respond, with what ever the Navy and Airforce in BC can throw in.

Back