• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Postings, career managers and budget cuts!

DAA said:
Keep in mind, the key word that you have used.... "seconded".  If my memory serves me correct, these are by no means a guaranteed "no cost move" to the CM but rather the cost borne by DFATD is based on assignment from Ottawa to the respective post and the same goes on return.  So where the CF member is currently posted from and then to, can and probably does impact on that.  Someone going from Edmonton to say China, would probably be no cost to the CM.  But someone going from Edmonton to Moscow, would probably incur a cost to DND.

So technically, the costing method used by DFATD for assignment outcan for MPSS pers, would be based on a relocation originating from Ottawa.

Based upon my own posting experience with MPSS and numerous conversations with the CoC and MP CM I'm certain that is not the case but I'll leave it as an "agree to disagree" point since it won't get solved here and is really a moot point WRT the main topic.

garb811 said:
A move is a move is a move.  Just like the CM is budgeted "x" number of cost moves within Canada and it doesn't matter if that move is from Halifax to Greenwood or from Halifax to Comox, it still counts as "1" move, the same is true for moves to and from MPSS.  The biggest cost on OUTCAN moves is the stuff related to the international move.  Shipping a sea can from Vancouver to Petawawa instead of Edmonton is peanuts compared to the cost of getting it from New Dehli to Vancouver in the first place.

Having said that, DFAITD does impose some restrictions.  ie. Unless the member is forced to secure their own accommodations, DFAITD won't authorize a CAF member to attend the post prior to their COS date, so while a member going to MPSS is technically authorized a DIT as a minimum IAW CFIRP, it will never happen even though CAF pers posted to the Attache program do it (or at least they did not so long ago) all the time.

Useless trivia time:  My first Embassy, the move to the Embassy was conducted IAW CF move policies, the move back was IAW DFAITs.  Going over I flew economy class via milk run courtesy of the Orderly Room.  Coming home, my HHT and move were Business Class because I was able to secure the tickets at less than full fare economy...

Schindler's Lift said:
Based upon my own posting experience with MPSS and numerous conversations with the CoC and MP CM I'm certain that is not the case but I'll leave it as an "agree to disagree" point since it won't get solved here and is really a moot point WRT the main topic.

The moves for your guys, is a dirty murky world and difficult at best to understand and a nightmare at worst.  It ends up with bickering and fighting over the contents of the MOU and differences in departmental regulations.

The CM's get their money and then based on CFM numbers, it equates to moves.  Doesn't really help the cost, because there is no one that can sit down and acutally reliably put a reasonably hard "cost" to such a move.  So the CM could be very diligent and try to maximize things but at the end of the day, if they come up with a surplus, it really does no one any benefit, because it is too late.

Back