• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PQ candidate Martine Ouellet: Trudeau's Canada Day video insulted Quebecers

• Thread starter jollyjacktar
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
PuckChaser said:
How many Quebecers move to Canada after separation? How much of their GDP is a result of government intervention/industry from the rest of Canada? Canada's GDP is going to take a hit, but Quebec will take a bigger hit not being part of Canada's free trade agreements.
Quebecers are not dumb. They look at the provincial debt, see what they pay in taxes, see what they get back from ottawa and everything they don't need to pay for. (Army for example)

The biggest threat to the unity of this nation is the day quebec gets its financial house in order. If quebec starts to post big surpluses and pays down its debt the only argument for staying in Canada is gone.

God forbid it becomes a have province one day and needs to send its money elsewhere within confederation, the PQ would have that province out of Canada within a year.

Kat Stevens said:
First thing to go down the shitter will be Bombardier, at long last.  More lives than a sack full of cats.

Sucking Air Canada with it.

Altair said:
The biggest threat to the unity of this nation is the day quebec gets its financial house in order.
      :rofl:

....oh, you were serious.

This statement is based on of the lies Quebec separatists tell themselves, and now they believe it as true. Quebec separatists believe that it is official that Quebec is a nation. However, what happened was that the House issued a motion (which is not legally binding) that "This House recognize that the Québécois form a nation within a united Canada." So that motion says nothing about Quebec, as a political entity, as a territory or as anything. Further, there is never an explanation who "the Québécois" is. Is it all residents of Quebec? Is it all French-speaking residents of Quebec? Is it all the people who can trace their ancestry to those living in Nouvelle-France era? Is it everyone who sympathies the Independence of Quebec?

And therefore claiming that Quebec is a nation is dishonest, at least.

Michael O'Leary said:
Some people actively seek reasons to be unhappy.

Yes, his name is Jeremy Holtz, international man of misery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcPzRDlLO5c

Altair said:
God forbid it becomes a have province one day and needs to send its money elsewhere within confederation, the PQ would have that province out of Canada within a year.

Surely someone must still want to use asbestos?  The economy is going to turn around, I tell you.  The Quebec «national» debt will be gone in less than a decade... :nod:

Good2Golf said:
Surely someone must still want to use asbestos?  The economy is going to turn around, I tell you.  The Quebec «national» debt will be gone in less than a decade... :nod:
I dunno, the current liberal government has posted 2 surpluses in a row, small ones, but a step towards fiscal  responsibility. Granted there have been protests in the street over austerity.

But should they continue pay down their debt at the rate they are currently doing it they might be debt free within a hundred years.

;D

I see what you did there... :nod:

Debt free in 100 years is well ahead of the pace of today's Ontario.

dapaterson said:
Debt free in 100 years is well ahead of the pace of today's Ontario.
which is more of a indictment of the ontario liberals than praise of of the quebec liberals.

Altair said:
which is more of a indictment of the ontario liberals than praise of of the quebec liberals.

Indeed it is.  And it is even more indicative of the Ontario voters who have kept them in power.

Not so much insulting as wrong, we are about 700 or 800 nations, reserves, regions, races, genders and political divisions right now, and growing. 

I look forward to the discussions between Quebec and the First Nations. Then of course there is that niggling little fact that Quebec’s GDP, barring France is likely bigger the combined Francophone world and so who will they trade with? Then there is immigration, the French really don’t love their long lost cousin and the rest of the Francophone world is made up of people who don’t look like a true Quebecor and likely will arrive with little money and education. I suspect those immigrants also see a province of Quebec is a way better deal for them than a Quebec as a country. 

Colin P said:
I look forward to the discussions between Quebec and the First Nations.
:nod:  Here's what they had to say a couple of years ago here and here, so we can see at least a starting position for any "discussions."

I've attached a Library of Parliament paper prepared just after the last referendum about how tangled a ball of string it would be to unravel re:  First Nations and a saying-it's-separating Quebec.

Bonne chance, mes amis ...

Attachments

• bp412-e.pdf
    193.8 KB · Views: 103
As with the Brexit referendum, it isn't a purely clinical economic question.  Yes, in both cases separation likely results in both parties taking a fiscal hit.  But there are other factors to be weighed, and to some people, the economic factor has trivial to zero weight.

If the question is taken up in Canada for a third time, then "Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!".  I look forward to the change in the balance of power in the House of Commons.

Brad Sallows said:
As with the Brexit referendum, it isn't a purely clinical economic question.  Yes, in both cases separation likely results in both parties taking a fiscal hit.  But there are other factors to be weighed, and to some people, the economic factor has trivial to zero weight.

If the question is taken up in Canada for a third time, then "Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!".  I look forward to the change in the balance of power in the House of Commons.
Nice way to abandon the English speaking population of Montreal and natives in the north. Tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

Altair said:
Nice way to abandon the English speaking population of Montreal and natives in the north. Tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

Everyone has a choice. If the leave side wins, then they have made their decision. However, like Brad, the rest of Canada is pretty fed up with them playing games with the rest of Canada in order to extort more benefits from us.

Mind, I feel the same about Toronto but that's a different kettle of fish.

>Nice way to abandon the English speaking population of Montreal and natives in the north. Tossing the baby out with the bathwater.

I'm not the one repeatedly taking the country to the brink of separation and endlessly demanding special privileges and creating short-term uncertainty every time the issue is raised and long-term uncertainty indefinitely.  Don't try to throw it back in my lap.

Observing recent events, I concluded there is a large swath of the population in any given political entity that considers itself bound to the sense of fairness and fair play and civility and cooperation and concession which undergird "rule of law", "democracy", and "consent of the governed" only when its own purposes are served.  The abandonment has already occurred; I've decided to no longer bother to try to unilaterally undo it.  I might as well seek advantage for myself as nakedly as they do for themselves.

I suspect most separatist support is like a strike vote in a union, few want to go on strike, but want to give their negotiators bargaining power. Quebecers got used to being able to turn the screws every decade or so, but eventually someone will call their bluff. If Quebec was to separate, life for a Francophone outside would not be pleasant and bilingualism would be quickly on the chopping block in English Canada. Quebec would be surrounded by a semi-hostile and by an indifferent neighbour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back