• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PRes to RegF CT/OT

Shmoze

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I have a few questions about the CT process.
I'm considering initiating it ASAP. From Veh tech to EO tech, PRes to Reg Force. I've been in for almost seven years now. Maybe my fellow RCEME comrades can help me out here.

First off, I'm primarily wondering if I'd have to redo my courses? I'm done up to RQ Cpl Mod 1 MRT Commander or 2.1. So all my common RCEME courses are completed.

I already have my Electrical Engineering Technician diploma as well, would that have any impact with speeding up the CT process for EO?

Are wait times still crazy like they were prior to covid?

Thanks!

From what you've provided, you may get credit for some prior training. The best person to answer your questions is likely the PSO. You should be able to request an appointment without too much trouble.

From what you've provided, you may get credit for some prior training. The best person to answer your questions is likely the PSO. You should be able to request an appointment without too much trouble.
Just got in contact with my local recruiting office and the Sgt provided some good information but came to the same conclusion. I'll do this ASAP, thank you!

I just joined as a Vech Tech in the Reserves. How did you like it? Is it hard to rank up? How long are the courses?

Welcome to RCEME. I'll warn you it's quite slow to get on courses to be promoted as a reservist, this is because all RCEME Common courses are run thru the school in Borden, and theres not enough instructors every summer, so not enough courses and positions. Make sure your Ops is on top of it, and know some people waited a long ass time.

Ideally, your familiar with combustion engines already civvie side, as the veh tech courses won't teach you enough to be an effective tech without OJT, as per my experiences, and why I CT'd in the first place.

You'll do BMQ, then Driver Wheel, then RQ PTE: CRTT 1.1, CRT 1.2, and Veh school 1.3 which is small engines. Reg force do the same courses with lots of OJT in-between.

Finally, regardless of your trade. IOT have fun as a reservist you need to make the best of it yourself. You do this by taking as many tasks you can handle that OPs sends down and they'll keep you in mind for cooler tasks in the future, like what you signed up to do, fix stuff and facilitate movement.

Let me know if you have any questions, just know it can be tough to juggle PRes, Full time civvie job, and family all at the same time, be patient, and have an open mind.

Welcome to RCEME. I'll warn you it's quite slow to get on courses to be promoted as a reservist, this is because all RCEME Common courses are run thru the school in Borden, and theres not enough instructors every summer, so not enough courses and positions. Make sure your Ops is on top of it, and know some people waited a long ass time.

Ideally, your familiar with combustion engines already civvie side, as the veh tech courses won't teach you enough to be an effective tech without OJT, as per my experiences, and why I CT'd in the first place.

You'll do BMQ, then Driver Wheel, then RQ PTE: CRTT 1.1, CRT 1.2, and Veh school 1.3 which is small engines. Reg force do the same courses with lots of OJT in-between.

Finally, regardless of your trade. IOT have fun as a reservist you need to make the best of it yourself. You do this by taking as many tasks you can handle that OPs sends down and they'll keep you in mind for cooler tasks in the future, like what you signed up to do, fix stuff and facilitate movement.

Let me know if you have any questions, just know it can be tough to juggle PRes, Full time civvie job, and family all at the same time, be patient, and have an open mind.
Thanks for the welcome to RCEME. I am currently going to my first year in uni. I am doing FTSE right now and I am working with all the trades at my unit. It seems like Vech Tech/ Wep Techs have it the hardest in terms of getting there courses done in one summer since they have many different mods. I don't know anything about cars, but I want to learn because I think it's going to be interesting. As I work with all the trade I feel like it would be easier to get everything done and within a shorter timeframe as a Log (e.g.: HRA, Sup Tech, MSE OP) but any dummy can do these trades. As a Vech Tech you need to know what your doing, which I enjoy.

Here are my questions to you:

If you were to go back in time would have you chosen something else within the support unit?

Vech Tech Questions:

Do you think it would be a good idea to take the winter semester (January) off and do the RegF course for 30 weeks (DP1)?

Is it easy to get deployed as a Vech Tech while in the Res?

Is this trade worth doing or OT to something else before I start my BMQ?

While in Bordon how hard are the courses to pass and do I get hands on learning?

Will I get an opportunity to fix cars and to do work after my DP1?

Thanks for the welcome to RCEME. I am currently going to my first year in uni. I am doing FTSE right now and I am working with all the trades at my unit. It seems like Vech Tech/ Wep Techs have it the hardest in terms of getting there courses done in one summer since they have many different mods. I don't know anything about cars, but I want to learn because I think it's going to be interesting. As I work with all the trade I feel like it would be easier to get everything done and within a shorter timeframe as a Log (e.g.: HRA, Sup Tech, MSE OP) but any dummy can do these trades. As a Vech Tech you need to know what your doing, which I enjoy.

Here are my questions to you:

If you were to go back in time would have you chosen something else within the support unit?

Vech Tech Questions:

Do you think it would be a good idea to take the winter semester (January) off and do the RegF course for 30 weeks (DP1)?

Is it easy to get deployed as a Vech Tech while in the Res?

Is this trade worth doing or OT to something else before I start my BMQ?

While in Bordon how hard are the courses to pass and do I get hands on learning?

Will I get an opportunity to fix cars and to do work after my DP1?
If I had the chance to stay as a reservist I'd go Armoured, simply because the scale of their planning is something to behold, they can manage all the Combat and CSS call signs and do their job.

Unless you can guarantee your on a winter reg force course, I don't recommend taking time off post secondary for it, especially because date changes and course cancellations are very last minute.

It's easy to get deployed as a veh tech if you have your IBTS consistent up to date, your done all your courses, and you have good attendance and take up taskings from ops.

I would OT but that's just from my personal experience and only if I wanted to stay PRes. You can always put your OT in after BMQ and Driver Wheel and keep those quals.

Courses are really easy in Borden, it'll be hard to fail.

You'll get the opportunity to do Veh tech stuff if you go on tasks to support other units and show up to exercises especially skills maintenance exercises in shops.

No not really, you won't accumulate enough hours on Class A/Part time reservist schedules to challenge your red seal exam.

Back