• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Presidential election may be up for grabs

I agree with your preference, Edward.

Yesterday was my wife's birthday. Our dog got her a card with a drawing of Hillary sitting behind the desk in the oval office on the front. On the inside the card said "See, there are worse things that could happen than getting old. Happy Birthday"

I am saddened by the nasty, mean and tasteless statements Hilary has made during her campaign.
My admiration for Bill as an extremely smart individual and politican has dropped after his dumb and thoughtless comments.
Overall the campaign team Hilary built has time after time failed to provide her with winning guidance.
She is increasingly making Bill and herself a Democratic problem versus an assest.

E.R. Campbell said:
On balance and because I, for reasons related to Canada’s best interests, want John McCain to win, I hope Obama puts her on the ticket but I suspect he’s smart enough not to do that.

We shall see. Anyways, it appears that she just quit the race for the Presidency, according to the article below, although she probably will try to scare off everyone else who tries to buck for the VP spot.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/04/democrats.wednesday/index.html

Clinton to suspend campaign, bucking for VP bid?
Story Highlights
NEW: Clinton will suspend presidential campaign Friday, sources say

Obama, Clinton spoke by phone Wednesday, but VP slot was not discussed

Rangel says Clinton could've been "far more generous" on Tuesday night

Obama says he's "very confident" he can unite Democrats by November

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton will officially suspend her campaign for the presidency by the end of the week, multiple sources told CNN.

A top Clinton fundraiser says it is expected to happen on Friday.

Obama and Clinton were in Washington on Wednesday to each address the influential American Israel Public Affairs Committee. The candidates ran into each other at the AIPAC conference and had a brief chat, Obama spokeswoman Linda Douglass said.

"She's an extraordinary leader of the Democratic Party and has made history alongside me over the last 16 months. I'm very proud to have competed against her," Obama told the Israel lobbying group.

Obama became his party's presumptive nominee Tuesday and will be looking to unite Democrats divided by the long and contentious primary season.

"I am very confident how unified the Democratic Party is going to be to win in November," he said in a Senate hallway Wednesday. iReport.com: Obama/Clinton -- dream team or nightmare?

Some say that putting Clinton on the ticket might fit the bill for uniting Democrats.

Clinton lavished her opponent with praise Tuesday, saying he ran an "extraordinary race" and made politics more palatable for many. Watch how the primary played out »

Prominent Clinton backer Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, thinks the New York senator could have been "far more generous" during her speech Tuesday night after it was clear that Obama had clinched the Democratic nomination.

Rangel, the senior member of the New York congressional delegation and an early supporter of Clinton's presidential campaign, said Wednesday that Clinton should have been more clear about what her plans are.

"I would agree that after the math was in before her speech, that she could have been far more generous in terms of being more specific and saying that she wants a Democratic victory," Rangel said on MSNBC.

"I don't see what they're talking about in prolonging this," Rangel added. "There's nothing to prolong if you're not going to take the fight to the convention floor. ... I don't know why she could not have been more open in terms of doing up front what she intends to do later."

But with some Democrats clamoring for her to join Obama on the ticket, and with the Democratic National Convention -- and thus, the official anointment -- still more than two months out, the senator from New York gave no hint as to her plans. See VP prospects' pros, cons »

She again invoked the popular vote, saying she snared "more votes than any primary candidate in history," but primaries come down to delegates, and according to CNN calculations, Obama has her beaten, 2,156 to 1,923.

Even the White House seemed convinced of Obama's victory. White House press secretary Dana Perino said Wednesday that President Bush congratulated Obama on becoming the first black nominee from a major party. She said his win shows that the United States "has come a long way."

Clinton vowed to keep fighting for an end to the war in Iraq, for universal health care, for a stronger economy and better energy policy, but she didn't indicate in what capacity she would wage these battles. That, she said, would be up to her supporters and the party brass. See what lies in store this fall »

The party's best interests were high on the minds of party leaders Wednesday, as Sen. Harry Reid, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, West Virginia Gov. Joe Manchin and DNC Chairman Howard Dean called on Democrats to focus on the general election.

"To that end, we are urging all remaining uncommitted superdelegates to make their decisions known by Friday of this week so that our party can stand united and begin our march toward reversing the eight years of failed Bush/McCain policies that have weakened our country," said a statement from the four.

Billionaire businessman Bob Johnson, a close Clinton adviser and friend, said on CNN's "American Morning" on Wednesday that Obama could best forge party unity by offering Clinton the vice presidential slot.

A day after the final two primaries in South Dakota and Montana, Johnson sent a letter to House Majority Whip James Clyburn to lobby the Congressional Black Caucus to endorse Clinton as Obama's running mate.

Saying Clinton would "entertain the idea if it's offered," Johnson said, "This is Sen. Obama's decision. If the Congress members can come together and agree as I do that it would be in the best interest of the party to have Sen. Clinton on the ticket, they carry that petition to Sen. Obama." Watch how the world reacted to Obama's win »

"This is not a pressure. This is elected officials giving their best judgment," said Johnson, the founder of Black Entertainment Television.

Johnson's letter to Clyburn says, "You know as well as I the deep affection that millions of African-Americans hold for both Senator Clinton and President Clinton."

It continues, "But most important, we need to have the certainty of winning; and, I believe, without question, that Barack Obama as president and Hillary Clinton as vice president bring that certainty to the ticket." Watch Johnson urge Obama to pick Clinton »

Johnson is one of many influential Clinton supporters who have raised the prospect of her joining Obama on the ticket. They say she has solid credentials and wide appeal, exemplified by her popular support in states such as Pennsylvania and Ohio, which will be crucial to a Democratic victory in the fall.

Obama and Clinton spoke by phone for a few minutes Wednesday. He told her he wants to "sit down when it makes sense" for her, said Obama spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Clinton said that would happen soon, Gibbs said, but he also said Obama did not raise the issue of the vice presidency. Clinton campaign Chairman Terry McAuliffe confirmed that there had been "absolutely zero discussions" on the matter.

The Clinton campaign issued a statement saying she was open to becoming vice president.

"She would do whatever she could to ensure that Democrats take the White House back and defeat John McCain," the statement said.

CNN's Alexander Mooney and Ed Hornick contributed to this report.

I always liked McCain.  I was sad when he lost to Dubya in 2000.

Mr. McCain has a much better record of bi-partisanship than Mr. Obama, which is what the US needs at this time.

I find it very interesting that both parties have chosen candidates that have have significant issues with their respective party 'bases'.  This should be an interesting one to watch indeed. I happen to think Obama will win, with room to spare, though I would have to agree with Mr. Campbell that a McCain win holds certain positives for Canada, it just seems that the political winds are blowing against him.  That said, the election is still far away much can, and no doubt will, happen.  Either way, it will be nice to get away from the Bush administration; its brand (whether deserving or not) is old and disliked and some fresh air from McCain or Obama will be welcomed.

He's got to make it till November first. I can easily see some idiot south of the border taking a shot at him, now that he is officially the Democrat candidate.

Ummm... why bother taking a shot at him when, in all likelyhood, he's going to shoot himself in the foot repeatedly over the next couple (many) months ???

geo said:
Ummm... why bother taking a shot at him when, in all likelyhood, he's going to shoot himself in the foot repeatedly over the next couple (many) months ???

Because he's an African/American and that won't sit well with segments of the American population. 

Anyone aspiring to the highest office in the world is bound to attract negative attention from someone; and often for reasons that make no sense to the rest of us. The man who shot President Reagan did it to attract the attention of a movie star after all.

I wonder how well Senator Obama will be able to paper over the cracks in the Democratic Party?

http://www.josephlavoie.com/?p=32

Angry Clinton supporters launch website supporting McCain
by Joseph

Watching coverage of the final primaries this week on CNN, you couldn’t avoid pundits speculating the extent to which Clinton’s supporters would act out against Obama. Well, they’ve started their campaign - and they’ve started it online: http://hcsfjm.com/. It’s an awkward url — an acronym for “Hillary Clinton Supporters For John McCain,” and the design grotesque, but they’ve managed to get attention.

The site was launched Saturday by Ed Hale, a 63 year-old rancher from Texas. He claims to have 7,000 supporters already. According to Wired Magazine, the site’s already received close to 40,000 visits as of yesterday.

It’ll be interesting to keep on eye on this in the coming weeks.

I had a very long talk with an American in a bar in Manhattan during Fleet Week last month on the subject of Obama as a suitable candidate.  The Yank was of the firm opinion that Obama does not bring anything to the table as a possible President.  He felt that he does not have a grip or intelligent answer to many issues he will need to face in this position.  The electoral college system that they use does not always pick the most suitable or popular candidate.  Hillary he said was taking all the big states that have the largest amounts of voters, but Obama was winning with the smaller states that in a general election will not cut it against McCain.

Obama he said "has virtually come out of nowhere with little or no experience in the political arena, he "pretends" to be of the common people when it suits him, but in reality he does come from a very privileged background." 

He also had an issue with Obama's local church in Chicago.  All of a sudden after 20 years as a parishioner he has trouble with what is being shouted from the pulpit??  Was he asleep during the sermons prior to that??

Also he felt that as neighbours, we here in Canada might not do as well as we could with another person in charge.  This man was not rabid about his objections to Obama and did put his points forth in an objective, logical manner.  I apologise for being as vague as I have, but quite a bit of ground was covered, plus beers and time has past since the conversation.

Whenever I did speak with Yanks in Florida, New York or Virginia I did come across quite a bit of resistance to the present administration but no real sense of support for any one candidate from any party in particular.  I honestly was surprised by this as I expected to hear noise about whomever the person I spoke with was supporting.  Maybe it it too far away from the big day for the average Joe to get all excited.

- The pathological sense of entitlement of the Clintons is gigantic.  Billary will no doubt DEMAND the vice-presidency. Obama, however, no doubt realizes that having Billary one bullet away from the presidency might drive his life insurance rates through the roof.

- Both Obama and McCain will need 'Bubbas' as running mates.  Obama to bring back the Democrats in Dixie, and McCain to re-assure the 'Real Right' that he is not a pinko.

- Once Billary realizes this, she will run as an independant.

TCBF said:
- Once Billary realizes this, she will run as an independant.

Umm...she did say that she would endorse Obama this Saturday to help unite the party, though I really doubt that he will pick her since he did say that he would take his time in making his choice. Names like Senator James Webb did come up among possible VP choices.

She did not say she would endorse Obama, the media assumes/hopes that is what she will do. Hillary doesnt want Obama to win because she wants another shot at the White House. I think she will bide her time until the convention in the hope that Obama stumbles badly.Today he backed off his statements he made to a Jewish group after Hamas and others protested.

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/the-trail/2008/06/05/oba...ks_on_jerusalem.html

tomahawk6 said:
She did not say she would endorse Obama, the media assumes/hopes that is what she will do.

Apparently, this was not an assumption at all; her PR people probably told all the major networks ahead of time.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/06/07/clinton.unity/index.html

Clinton endorses Obama, calls for party unity
Story Highlights
NEW: Sen. Obama: "I am thrilled and honored to have Sen. Clinton's support"

Clinton says, "I ask all of you to join me in working" for Barack Obama

Clinton camp says 6,000 signed up to attend speech

Analysts say Clinton must choose next steps carefully

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Sen. Hillary Clinton formally ended her presidential campaign Saturday, saying to a packed house of thousands of supporters, "I will continue to stand strong with you every time, every place and every way that I can."

She urged the cheering crowd to support Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, the presumptive Democratic nominee, in his bid for the White House, saying she and supporters should "take our energy, our passion and our strength and do all we can to help elect Barack Obama ... I ask all of you to join me in working as hard for Barack Obama as you have for me."

Her endorsement was met with a scattering of boos and thumbs downs from the crowd at the National Building Museum in Washington.

Clinton's campaign said 6,000 people signed up on the New York senator's Web site to attend the speech. Watch Clinton endorse Obama »

Shortly after the speech, Obama released a statement praising Clinton's presidential run.

"Obviously, I am thrilled and honored to have Sen. Clinton's support. But more than that, I honor her today for the valiant and historic campaign she has run. She shattered barriers on behalf of my daughters and women everywhere, who now know that there are no limits to their dreams. And she inspired millions with her strength, courage and unyielding commitment to the cause of working Americans."

Obama watched the speech over the Internet, a campaign aide said. He put in a call to Clinton afterward but was told by a Clinton assistant that she was speaking with supporters.

During her speech, Clinton encouraged party unity, acknowledging that the fight has been hard, but saying "the Democratic Party is a family, and now it's time to restore the ties that bind us together." Watch more of Clinton's speech »

"To all those who voted for me, my commitment to you is unyielding. You have inspired and touched me. You have humbled me with your commitment," she said. "Eighteen million of you from all walks of life -- women, and men, young and old, Latino and Asian, African-American and Caucasian, rich and poor, middle-class, gay and straight ... you have stood with me," she said.

Clinton has battled Obama in a primary season that stretched over nearly 18 months and 57 contests, culminating in Obama's winning the 2,118 delegates needed to clinch the party's nomination Tuesday.

A Clinton supporter told Gloria Borger, a CNN senior political analyst, shortly after the rousing speech that "this was the Hillary I worked with and supported. I suspect I'll never understand why this Hillary wasn't visible more often." Interactive: Analysts weigh in on Clinton's speech »

Clinton noted that both she and Obama had made history in their campaigns.

"When I was asked what it means to be a woman running for president, I always gave the same answer: I was proud to be running as a women, but I was running because I thought I'd be the best president," she said. "But I am a woman, and like millions of women, I know that there are still barriers and biases out there, often unconscious. And I want to build an America that respects and embraces the potential of every last one of us.

"We must make sure that women and men alike understand the struggles of their grandmothers and their mothers and that women enjoy equal pay and equal respect," she said. "Let us resolve and work toward achieving some very simple propositions: There are no acceptable limits and there are no acceptable prejudices in the 21st century in our country."

"I wish she was going on the ticket instead," one supporter said. "But I think she's making a good stand down. She's a lady. She's doing it well."

Clinton was accompanied by her husband, former President Clinton; their daughter, Chelsea; and her mother, Dorothy Rodham.

CNN contributor Donna Brazile, Al Gore's campaign manager in the 2000 election, offered a strong message for the Illinois senator.

"The work begins tomorrow for Sen. Obama to go out there, rally her supporters, earn their respect and win with them this November," she said.

Clinton said that as she spoke, America's 50th woman in space was orbiting Earth in the space shuttle Discovery. If the nation can put 50 women in space, it can launch a woman into the White House, she said to loud cheers.

"Although we weren't able to shatter this highest, hardest glass ceiling this time, thanks to you, it's got about 18 million cracks in it, and the light is shining through like never before," she said. Watch Clinton discuss the race »

"It is this belief and optimism that Sen. Obama and I share," Clinton said, "that has inspired so many millions of supporters to make their voices heard. So today, I am standing with Sen. Obama to say, 'Yes, we can.' "

A CNN poll released Friday shows that the party is divided after a primary season that stretched over nearly 18 months and 57 contests.

Sixty percent of Clinton supporters said they would vote for Obama, but 17 percent said they would vote for Sen. John McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee and Obama's rival in the general election. Nearly one-quarter, 22 percent, said they would not vote at all if Clinton were not the Democrats' nominee.

The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 7.5 percentage points. The poll was conducted after Obama clinched the Democratic nomination Tuesday. Watch Suzanne Malveaux talk about what's next for the candidates »

Democratic voters appear to like an Obama-Clinton ticket. A CNN poll released Friday suggested that nearly half of Democrats, 54 percent, would support a joint ticket, but 43 percent would oppose it. The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

The Clinton camp made it widely known that she would accept the No. 2 slot if it were offered, but the push was viewed as putting undue pressure on Obama to pick his former rival.

CNN's Mark Preston, Sasha Johnson, Candy Crowley, Scott J. Anderson and Ed Hornick contributed to this report.

Democratic voters appear to like an Obama-Clinton ticket. A CNN poll released Friday suggested that nearly half of Democrats, 54 percent, would support a joint ticket, but 43 percent would oppose it. The poll's margin of error was plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Somebody else reading that might come to the conclusion that the Democrats "are deeply divided".  Half of them support a course of action.  Half of them vehemently oppose it.

Funny things facts.

More arguments for the Democrats to tear each other apart on. David Frum has a similar piece in the National Post. If Ann Coulter is correct, Hillary Clinton and her supporters can actually make a case at the convention (but not in the general election):

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/AnnCoulter/2008/06/04/obama_was_selected,_not_elected?page=full&comments=true

Obama Was Selected, Not Elected
By Ann Coulter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Words mean nothing to liberals. They say whatever will help advance their cause at the moment, switch talking points in a heartbeat, and then act indignant if anyone uses the exact same argument they were using five minutes ago.

When Gore won the popular vote in the 2000 election by half a percentage point, but lost the Electoral College -- or, for short, "the constitutionally prescribed method for choosing presidents" -- anyone who denied the sacred importance of the popular vote was either an idiot or a dangerous partisan.

But now Hillary has won the popular vote in a Democratic primary, while Obambi has won under the rules. In a spectacular turnabout, media commentators are heaping sarcasm on our plucky Hillary for imagining the "popular vote" has any relevance whatsoever.

It's the exact same situation as in 2000, with Hillary in the position of Gore and Obama in the position of Bush. The only difference is: Hillary has a much stronger argument than Gore ever did (and Hillary's more of a man than Gore ever was).

Unbeknownst to liberals, who seem to imagine the Constitution is a treatise on gay marriage, our Constitution sets forth rules for the election of a president. Under the Constitution that has led to the greatest individual liberty, prosperity and security ever known to mankind, Americans have no constitutional right to vote for president, at all. (Don't fret Democrats: According to five liberals on the Supreme Court, you do have a right to sodomy and abortion!)

Americans certainly have no right to demand that their vote prevail over the electors' vote.

The Constitution states that electors from each state are to choose the president, and it is up to state legislatures to determine how those electors are selected. It is only by happenstance that most states use a popular vote to choose their electors.

When you vote for president this fall, you will not be voting for Barack Obama or John McCain; you will be voting for an elector who pledges to cast his vote for Obama or McCain. (For those new Obama voters who may be reading, it's like voting for Paula, Randy or Simon to represent you, instead of texting your vote directly.)

Any state could abolish general elections for president tomorrow and have the legislature pick the electors. States could also abolish their winner-take-all method of choosing presidential electors -- as Nebraska and Maine have already done, allowing their electors to be allocated in proportion to the popular vote. And of course there's always the option of voting electors off the island one by one.

If presidential elections were popular vote contests, Bush might have spent more than five minutes campaigning in big liberal states like California and New York. But under a winner-take-all regime, close doesn't count. If a Republican doesn't have a chance to actually win a state, he may as well lose in a landslide. Using the same logic, Gore didn't spend a lot of time campaigning in Texas (and Walter Mondale campaigned exclusively in Minnesota).

Consequently, under both the law and common sense, the famed "popular vote" is utterly irrelevant to presidential elections. It would be like the winner of "Miss Congeniality" claiming that title also made her "Miss America." Obviously, Bush might well have won the popular vote, but he would have used a completely different campaign strategy.

By contrast, there are no constitutional rules to follow with party primaries. Primaries are specifically designed by the parties to choose their strongest candidate for the general election.

Hillary's argument that she won the popular vote is manifestly relevant to that determination. Our brave Hillary has every right to take her delegates to the Democratic National Convention and put her case to a vote. She is much closer to B. Hussein Obama than the sainted Teddy Kennedy was to Carter in 1980 when Teddy staged an obviously hopeless rules challenge at the convention. (I mean rules about choosing the candidate, not rules about crushed ice at after-parties.)

And yet every time Hillary breathes a word about her victory in the popular vote, TV hosts respond with sneering contempt at her gaucherie for even mentioning it. (Of course, if popularity mattered, networks like MSNBC wouldn't exist. That's a station that depends entirely on "superviewers.")

After nearly eight years of having to listen to liberals crow that Bush was "selected, not elected," this is a shocking about-face. Apparently unaware of the new party line that the popular vote amounts to nothing more than warm spit, just last week HBO ran its movie "Recount," about the 2000 Florida election, the premise of which is that sneaky Republicans stole the presidency from popular vote champion Al Gore. (Despite massive publicity, the movie bombed, with only about 1 million viewers, so now HBO is demanding a "recount.")

So where is Kevin Spacey from HBO's "Recount," to defend Hillary, shouting: "WHO WON THIS PRIMARY?"

In the Democrats' "1984" world, the popular vote is an unconcept, doubleplusungood verging on crimethink. We have always been at war with Eastasia.

Mark Styen on Senator Obama. Despite the wall to wall coverage in the MSM and the vast money raising machine (and outspending the Clinton machine by a very considerable margin), Senator Obama really only squeaked past the post to victory. This makes me wonder how credible a candidate he really is in the general election?

http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=NzUyM2EzMjVmNDAxNzVjZTYyYzE5YzI1OWJjZTc0OGM=#more

Obama, Political Viagra
Now is when you get worried.

By Mark Steyn

The short version of the Democratic-party primary campaign is that the media fell in love with Barack Obama but the Democratic electorate declined to. “I felt this thrill going up my leg,” said MSNBC’s Chris Matthews after one of the senator’s speeches. “I mean, I don’t have that too often.” Au contraire, Chris and the rest of the gang seem to be getting the old tingle up the thigh hairs on a nightly basis. If Obama is political Viagra, the media are at that stage in the ad where the announcer warns that, if leg tingles persist for over six months, see your doctor.

Out there in the voting booths, however, Democrat legs stayed admirably unthrilled. The more the media told Hillary she was toast and she should get the hell out of it and let Obama romp to victory, the more Democrats insisted on voting for her. The more the media insisted Barack was inevitable, the less inclined the voters were to get with the program. On the strength of Chris Matthews’s vibrating calves, Sen. Obama raised a ton of money — over $300 million — and massively outspent Senator Clinton, but he didn’t really get any bang for his buck. In the end, he crawled over the finish line. The Obama Express came a-hurtlin’ down the track at two miles an hour.

But what does he care? Sen. Obama has learned an old trick of Bill Clinton’s: If you behave like a star, you’ll get treated as one. So, even as his numbers weakened, his rhetoric soared. By the time he wrapped up his “victory” speech last week, the great gaseous uplift had his final paragraphs floating in delirious hallucination along the Milky Way:

I face this challenge with profound humility, and knowledge of my own limitations. But I also face it with limitless faith in the capacity of the American people… I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal… This was the moment — this was the time — when we came together to remake this great nation…

It’s a good thing he’s facing it with “profound humility,” isn’t it? Because otherwise who knows what he’d be saying. But mark it in your calendars: June 3, 2008 — the long awaited day, after 232 years, that America began to provide care for the sick. Just a small test program: 47 attendees of the Obama speech were taken to hospital and treated for nausea. Everyone else came away thrilled that the Obamessiah was going to heal the planet and reverse the rise of the oceans: when Barack wants to walk on the water, he doesn’t want to have to use a step-ladder to get up on it.

There are generally two reactions to this kind of policy proposal. The first was exemplified by The Atlantic Monthly’s Marc Ambinder:

What a different emotional register from John McCain’s; Obama seems on the verge of tears; the enormous crowd in the Xcel center seems ready to lift Obama on its shoulders; the much smaller audience for McCain’s speech interrupted his remarks with stilted cheers.

The second reaction boils down to: “‘Heal the planet’? Is this guy nuts?” To be honest I prefer a republic whose citizenry can muster no greater enthusiasm for their candidate than “stilted cheers” to one in which the crowd wants to hoist the nominee onto their shoulders for promising to lower ocean levels within his first term. As for coming together “to remake this great nation,” if it’s so great, why do we have to remake it? A few months back, just after the New Hampshire primary, a Canadian reader of mine — John Gross of Quebec — sent me an all-purpose stump speech for the 2008 campaign:

My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you’ll join with me as we try to change it.”

I thought this was so cute, I posted it on “The Corner.” Whereupon one of those Internetty-type things happened, and three links and a Google search later the line was being attributed not to my correspondent but to Senator Obama, and a few weeks after that I started getting emails from reporters from Florida to Oregon asking if I could recall at which campaign stop the senator in fact uttered these words. And I’d patiently write back and explain that they’re John Gross’s words, and that not even Barack would be dumb enough to say such a thing in public. Yet last week his demand in his victory speech that we “come together to remake this great nation” came awful close.

Speaking personally, I don’t want to remake America. I’m an immigrant and one reason I came here is because most of the rest of the western world remade itself along the lines Sen. Obama has in mind. This is pretty much the end of the line for me. If he remakes America, there’s nowhere for me to go — although presumably once he’s lowered sea levels around the planet there should be a few new atolls popping up here and there.

Marc Ambinder is right. Obama’s rhetoric is in a different “emotional register” from John McCain’s. It’s in a different “emotional register” from every U.S. president — not just the Coolidges but the Kennedys, too. Nothing in Obama’s resume suggests he’s the man to remake America and heal the planet. Only this week, another of his pals bit the dust, convicted by a Chicago jury of 16 counts of this and that. “This isn’t the Tony Rezko I knew,” said the senator, in what’s becoming a standard formulation. Likewise, this wasn’t the Jeremiah Wright he knew. And these are guys he’s known for 20 years. Yet at the same time as he’s being stunned by the corruption and anti-Americanism of those closest to him, Obama’s convinced that just by jetting into Tehran and Pyongyang he can get to know America’s enemies and persuade them to hew to the straight and narrow. No doubt if it all goes belly up and Iran winds up nuking Tel Aviv, President Obama will put on his more-in-sorrow-than-in-anger face and announce solemnly that “this isn’t the Mahmoud Ahmadinejad I knew.”

Every time I hear an Obama speech, I start to giggle. But millions of voters don’t. And, if Chris Matthews and the tingly legged media get their way and drag Obama across the finish line this November, the laugh will be on those of us who think that serious times demand grown-up rhetoric.

© 2008 Mark Steyn

Events between now and November will shape the decision of the voters. Gas prices continue to escalate and the pressure on Congress to act will mount. If the democrat position doesnt change then this issue alone could sweep them from power. If they get on the domestic drilling/oil shale band wagon they would take this issue off the table and help their cause. Iraq is looking more like a victory every day and the democrats who were against the war may be on the wrong end of this issue.Obama's economic policy is going to be a legitimate issue as well.

http://www.barackobama.com/issues/economy/#tax-relief

From a personal perspective, I believe Sen Clinton is keeping her cards close to her chest.
As the front runner (but still unconfirmed Dem Pres Candidate), Sen Obama and Sen McCain have started to joust.  Should Obama $crew the pooch between now and National convention time.... Sen Billary may yet become the Dem Pres candidate.

Back