• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Previous drug use question 2002 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I wanted to make this post to thank everyone for the vast information I found in this thread and while I knew I would never find something relating specifically to my situation, I was able to find a solution and all the answers to my questions within the 50 pages of information each of you has provided.

I'm currently in the recruitment process, I've written my CFAT and TSD. After completing my TSD (Trait Self Descriptive Test) I was put into a room to fill out my Substance Use Information Sheet. Now before I get started I want to share that I had applied in the past and was put on a 6 month probation due to my declared substance use. About 6 years ago I applied and got to where I am today, I completed the CFAT and the TSD (It was still in trial at the time I believe but was definitely there). I was then put into the same room with the Substance Use Information Sheet, I filled it out honestly, I had smoked pot during high school and on some summer trips. At this time my MCC (Military Career Counselor) was concerned with the use, it had only been about 7 months since I had stopped smoking pot. I was put on my probation period and told I would be contacted once it had ended, however in that time I was pushed to go to College, waiting for 6 months and working part time wasn't something my guardians were okay with. This was completely understandable to me as I was the one who chose to smoke pot, now I had to live with a minor consequence of that decision. I decided to finish school and earn a full diploma in that time. Fast-forward 6 years to present time, I want nothing more than to reapply, I love the idea of the Canadian Armed Forces and everything they represent, it feels like a calling to at least experience this. I again passed my CFAT and TSD and I was brought into a room and had the Substance Use Information Sheet placed in front of me, just like I did 6 years ago. I was afraid of the same 6 month probation, I didn't want to experience that same feeling of disappointment in myself for making stupid mistakes. While filling it out I put only a portion of my marijuana use, I had mislead this piece of paper, my MCC, and most importantly myself. I have never posted here before but I read posts almost daily and when I came across this thread the feeling of dread that I had done something so awful had started to set in. I read all 50 pages, looking for something to make myself feel better about my lie and I found that information. The ONLY way I was going to feel better was to go back and set the record straight. I was nervous, I didn't want to go and have anyone know I had been untruthful but the fact is I had been and I wanted, NEEDED, to fix this. The security guard at the door was friendly, "You've been here earlier! Just want to fix some paperwork?" that's exactly what I was there to do, I walked in and he went into the back offices and pulled my MCC out for me to talk to. A stern man but informative and helpful, "I've made an error on my Substance Use Information Sheet, if I'm going to start a career with the Forces I need to ensure it starts with complete honesty". I explained to him what I had done, he put a hand up and said "Don't worry, thank you for coming in, let me grab your paperwork and we'll get it all fixed up". Immediately I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I was able to find the courage to live up to my mistake because of the information I found here and I wanted to thank you. You're all absolutely right, someone who isn't honest and is without integrity has no right to be in the Forces.

Some of you will no doubt feel 'Once liar, always a liar' but I don't feel that way. I made a mistake and I want anyone else who might be reading this forum to know you have a choice, everyone makes mistakes and it's fixing what you did wrong that really matters. If you've been dishonest because you're afraid it is NOT a life sentence. Go back and explain what happened and why, you'll be happy knowing you've started your potential career with honesty and integrity.

tl;dr
I was dishonest about marijuana, I read all the information provided by the excellent and informative users on this forum and went back to fix my mistake. You should do the exact same thing if you're in this position.

garb811 said:
That won't be determined until the CDS announces the new rules for CAF members.

If you would find abstaining for six months prior to enrollment, if that is what is required, would dampen your enthusiasm, then perhaps you need to rethink a few things.
You're quite right, it's time to decide which is more important.  Thank you, sincerely.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

[quote author=robjvan]
You're quite right, it's time to decide which is more important.  Thank you, sincerely.
[/quote]

Something for everyone wanting to join the CAF. The $$$ worth of equipment, lives and material any CAF member may be responsible for is more important than reliance on illicit drugs.

Consider: Is getting caught worth surrendering a "defined pension", "medical and dental benefits" and other veterans benefits?

WB said:
They do a urinalysis (spelling?). You get to piss on one of those chemical colour strips that you used in chemistry class.

The recruiter told me that 90% of the guys he tests have tried pot at one point or another. I‘ve been under the impression that they‘re more interested in weeding out (no pun intended) dishonest kids then they are with getting rid of the occasional toker. Be honest about your past and you shouldnt have much to worry about.

keep off the grass!!!

You said “occasional timer” what if you “toked” significant amount within the past year and or months from applying to the CF.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Canadian_beast said:
You said “occasional timer” what if you “toked” significant amount within the past year and or months from applying to the CF.

Also a long-term heavy user here, and my impression is that you'd need to quit for at least 6 months to show a concerted effort but it may end in requiring another 6 months (or more) of waiting, based on hearsay.  Theoretically the smoothest option would be to quit for at least a yearish, then get the application going.

Again, this *may* change with the new decriminalization laws but any possibile changes will probably take time and might ultimately have no effect on recruitment decisions. 

It's not a right that we can serve in the forces, it's something we have to earn and prove ourselves for.  If they ask that we don't use particular substances for whatever reasons, that's just something we have to accept if we want in.

robjvan said:
Also a long-term heavy user here, and my impression is that you'd need to quit for at least 6 months to show a concerted effort but it may end in requiring another 6 months (or more) of waiting, based on hearsay.  Theoretically the smoothest option would be to quit for at least a yearish, then get the application going.

Again, this *may* change with the new decriminalization laws but any possibile changes will probably take time and might ultimately have no effect on recruitment decisions. 

It's not a right that we can serve in the forces, it's something we have to earn and prove ourselves for.  If they ask that we don't use particular substances for whatever reasons, that's just something we have to accept if we want in.

Shit eh my friend that’s asking has only quit for 2 months but has already put in his application and is going for further processing. He will most likely be denied I’m guessing.

Canadian_beast said:
crap eh my friend that’s asking has only quit for 2 months but has already put in his application and is going for further processing. He will most likely be denied I’m guessing.

Hmm, I suppose we'll find out!  Maybe things are different now, please keep us posted on the results.  I know there's probably anonymous lurkers in the forum wondering the same thing.

Fingers crossed, and good luck to your friend!  May I ask which trade they chose?

robjvan said:
Hmm, I suppose we'll find out!  Maybe things are different now, please keep us posted on the results.  I know there's probably anonymous lurkers in the forum wondering the same thing.

Fingers crossed, and good luck to your friend!  May I ask which trade they chose?

Yes we will find out, I will keep y’all posted. But he choose infantry. Would that make it even harder? Lol

Canadian_beast said:
Yes we will find out, I will keep y’all posted. But he choose infantry. Would that make it even harder? Lol

Doesn't matter what trade it is...they won't be more or less sympathetic to your friend being a stoner depending on what trade he picks. Considering it won't be legal until October I wouldn't expect any leniency on this at all from the CFRC and most likely the file will be delayed for months.

Canadian_beast said:
Yes we will find out

As I previously posted

<b>The official stance of the CAF that recruiters have been informed to state is that it still not legal.
Until such time as it is made legal the CAF will not announce what it's policy will be.
As such the current NPD policy stands.</b>

IAW Work Instruction 3.3.3.14 on Non-Prescribed Drugs, the current waiting period has not changed and is not changing prior to 1-Oct-18.  Although the Government of Canada has announced legal changes to the use of Marijuana to come in effect, the CAF cannot and will not action any changes to their policy until that date.

This post is not made on behalf of the CAF, it is being made by someone who is trained in policy analysis.

Hi All,

I am interested in joining the CF, have been for the better part of 5 years, and I think the near (0.5-2 years) future is the time for me to do it.

The Good:
I am a graduate of a 3 year Electrical Technology college program where I was class Rep, graduated with 3.5x/4.0 GPA. I have a full-time job in industrial automation where I travel all over NA comissioning automated equipment - including places like BMW, Tesla, Jeep, etc (i.e. HIGH standards) - which involves a TON of responsibility, accountability, teamwork, safe work, and awareness. I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity building homes, I have CPR/First Aid Lv. A, was in Air Cadets, earned a Black Belt when I was a teen, have amazing employment/personal references.

The bad:
I grew up in/went to HS in a city with nothing to do and a lot of socioeconomic problems.

In highschool, I took LSD 3 times (about 10 years ago now), mushrooms about 5 times, MDMA a dozen or more times, smoked pot daily for several years, smoked cigarettes, binge drank, didn't apply myself in to my studies...pretty much an anti-model applicant.

The ugly:
After highschool I decided to go to college (1st major change in my life really), though I kept smoking pot through most of it. I took mushrooms 2 winters ago, and the winter before that. I've taken cocaine once or twice since I graduated highschool. The last time was only this August, and I know it was a bad choice.

The redeemer?:
In the past 6 months, I have stopped drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes (and since have actively, conciously engaged in removing all vices from my life), started doing yoga and implemented a number of wholesome changes into my life, and recently quit drugs 100% (I smoked pot most weekends until recently, when I realized I had a physical addiction).

If not for my drug-addled past, I think I would pass any assessments with flying colours.

Is there any chance I would be accepted into the Canadian Forces with a history like mine, if I apply after 8 months to 1 year of being completely drug free and demonstrably different person than I had been?

Thanks.

So, now that weed is legal, will this affect the recruiting process at all? Not that it would matter for me (haven't touched a joint in 3.5 years and don't plan on ever doing it again. What's done is done), but it would be interesting to see if the CAF will now distinguish between illegal use and legal use of recreational marijuana on the application process.

For example, I could see them add a question like: "How many times have you smoked weed before the 17th of October 2018," and then compare it to how much the applicant consumes now. Does anyone have any actual know about this? I think it would be interesting to see if this will change anything at all for new applicants.

signingup_tomake_onepost said:
Hi All,

I am interested in joining the CF, have been for the better part of 5 years, and I think the near (0.5-2 years) future is the time for me to do it.

The Good:
I am a graduate of a 3 year Electrical Technology college program where I was class Rep, graduated with 3.5x/4.0 GPA. I have a full-time job in industrial automation where I travel all over NA comissioning automated equipment - including places like BMW, Tesla, Jeep, etc (i.e. HIGH standards) - which involves a TON of responsibility, accountability, teamwork, safe work, and awareness. I volunteer with Habitat for Humanity building homes, I have CPR/First Aid Lv. A, was in Air Cadets, earned a Black Belt when I was a teen, have amazing employment/personal references.

The bad:
I grew up in/went to HS in a city with nothing to do and a lot of socioeconomic problems.

In highschool, I took LSD 3 times (about 10 years ago now), mushrooms about 5 times, MDMA a dozen or more times, smoked pot daily for several years, smoked cigarettes, binge drank, didn't apply myself in to my studies...pretty much an anti-model applicant.

The ugly:
After highschool I decided to go to college (1st major change in my life really), though I kept smoking pot through most of it. I took mushrooms 2 winters ago, and the winter before that. I've taken cocaine once or twice since I graduated highschool. The last time was only this August, and I know it was a bad choice.

The redeemer?:
In the past 6 months, I have stopped drinking coffee and smoking cigarettes (and since have actively, conciously engaged in removing all vices from my life), started doing yoga and implemented a number of wholesome changes into my life, and recently quit drugs 100% (I smoked pot most weekends until recently, when I realized I had a physical addiction).

If not for my drug-addled past, I think I would pass any assessments with flying colours.

Is there any chance I would be accepted into the Canadian Forces with a history like mine, if I apply after 8 months to 1 year of being completely drug free and demonstrably different person than I had been?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, no one here can definitively answer your question(s) one way of the other. Only those evaluating your recruiting process have the full scope and authority to come to a final decision as to your suitability for the CAF. My advice to you is to go through the process and fill out the substance use portion honestly. If you haven't used illegal substances in quite some time and no longer demonstrate any dependency/addictive (or otherwise negative) patterns, then that bodes well for you. As well, most of us go through tumultuous periods in our lives where poor judgement is used. Many have also experienced less-than-ideal circumstances while growing up. What you do with those experiences and what you learn from them is what counts. Start the process (if you haven't already) and see how it unfolds.

Additionally, I encourage you to take advantage of the resources and knowledge provided throughout this site. You're welcomed to post and share where appropriate. We just ask that users first try their best to find any answers they're seeking on their own before posting in order to avoid repeated questions with the same content.

Best of luck.

The information being disseminated at the moment is that prior to 17 October 2018 the use of cannabis was illegal.

Whether you're asked about consumption prior or after that date is up to the MCC; some might ask - some might not.  It's like asking about someone's drinking consumption.  I remember when I joined I was asked how often I smoke and consume alcohol; someone who joined at the same time through another CFRC wasn't asked...

signingup_tomake_onepost said:
Thanks for the information and support.

I know i'm not the only one so hopefully without sounding snarky; I've searched through this thread and found a couple similar situations dating back several years, but consider these posts outdated.

For anyone else wondering the same, I've also contacted a couple different recruiters who have all said either it does not automatically disqualify me from the Canadian Forces (no specifics on Combat Arms), or that they cannot comment on medical requirements.

Just for your information - Recruiters cannot state whether you qualify or not when it comes to NPD (non prescription drugs) or medical issues.  That is outside their training and arcs of training. So stating that it doesn't disqualify you doesn't mean that you're good to go; it just means that they don't have the training to say yes or no.

Medical Issues:

During the application process, the recruiting medical personnel will asses your medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for the Forces. At that time, the Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude you from joining. This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

Drug Issues:

During the application process you will undergo a background/security check and an interview.  A complete vetting of your background is necessary when joining the military as it could affect the ability for your to receive a security clearance to do your job effectively.  Drug use can affect the possible outcome of a security clearance/background check, as such only the panel that reviews this information can render an answer to whether NPD usage will allow you to join the CAF or not.

I think this link might be helpful for some people on this thread.

http://forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-defence-admin-orders-directives-9000/9004-1.page

I’ve been hearing the army is stopping drug testing which I highly doubt have y’all heard anything on this?

Canadian_beast said:
I’ve been hearing the army is stopping drug testing which I highly doubt have y’all heard anything on this?

***stopped drug testing for marijuana*** to be specific

... Sigh ...

Who have you been hearing these rumours from?

What drug testing are you speaking about?

Are you speaking about blind testing, testing for cause, testing the quality of your dope?

Hard to answer your question without more information.

Yea, we hardly ever tested before, so what exactly are we stopping? There's still cause to be tested for drug use, even marijuana drug use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back