• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Meridian

As you may have read in similar threads, there are many perspectives on the CF training
system and the quality of people moving through it.   The CF is a large organization and
there is alot of good people, good units, and courses on the other side of the coin.   This isn't
to say one will never shake their head in disbelief.   If you can, don't base your opinion
on a few posts here.   If one choses to go into the Forces, keep an open mind, a positive
attitude, a sense of humour and you'll have a good time.

I've got to agree with Greasyoldman on this one too. The PLQ is designed to teach the basic requirements for the up-and-coming Junior Leader. It's a Cpl's course, preparing them for the next rank. Back-logs will see MCpl's on this course for a while yet. The JLC wasn't working too well. As a Hull Tech, you don't get to dig too many holes in the dirt. (Although the argument can be made that stress is stress, regardless of what the actual task is, or how it's applied, performance under stress is the objective.)
I'd say the elements seem to require an additional course, one designed to fully prepare a Soldier, Sailor or Airman(person) for their elemental leadership tasks.
You Army types can squeeze the screws a little tighter, The Navy types can concentrate on what to do when the beer runs out, and the Air types can take an advanced course on Hotel bookings. (this last part is a joke of course, just in case we can't all recognize levity).

I am hoping someone out there knows of this website and can assist me.

I am specifically looking for CF PLQ Mod 5 - The Distance Learning Package on the CTC Gagetown website. I cannot seem to find it. Is it only DIN access (intranet) or can we get it through the internet?

Thanks much in advance.

dont know if it will work, but give er a go

http://ctc.gagetown.mil.ca/infantry/school/courses/document/PLQ2/English/index.htm

I believe that the distance learning packages are only available on the DIN.

I am curious to find out peoples opinions on the PLQ vs JLC,CLC,ISCC etc

And for people that are on or have finished the PLQ what is the MODS system like.

As an Lt who has run 2 X CF PLQ, 2 X PLQ Land, 1 X Inf 2B and now currently running the new PLQ Infantry my opinion is that we have too many standards.

Everyone in the CF (NAVY, Air Force and Army) except for the Infantry should do that Land course.  The CF PLQ is garbage, I've lost a lot of respect for basically every trade outside of the Combat Arms after running the two CF PLQ's.

The PLQ Land is a bit weak, we could make it better but it comes down to money.

The PLQ Infantry is a step up from the PLQ LAND + 2B system but it isn't as good as it could be and again it comes down to money.

I'm not too enthused with the current state of affairs either........but don't lose site of the two primary reasons (IMO) the Army went to the PLQ(L).  Note: the PLQ(CF) is not modularized.

1.  Since Mods 1 through 5 are done in the member's home garrison, hence their are no costs do to TD, meals, etc.

2.  Many pers complained about going away for long courses when they had just returned from deployments.  In some cases courses were turned down.

The way things have been the past several years it is a lot easier to cut material out and shorten courses (boss is happy) then it is to add additional instructional periods.

Doing PLQ Mod 6 in Wainwright probably this summer, looking for feedback from folks that completed MOD 6, anything I can work on physically, should I start running every night, should I get my kit all squared away?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

You're going for the final phase of your leadership training....and you don't know the answer to that question?

Just there's a big difference from when you listen to peers, compared to some of the PPCLI that has just finished there PLQ in Wainwright this spring....I've got a pretty good idea, but if anyone has just finished an can offer advice on it, how to improve on certain skills or physical training, that what I'm looking for!

I run PLQ's at LFAA TC.

Go for an exempt on the Express Test and the 13km BFT in under 2 hours.  Learn Battle Procedure and the Orders format/process.  Other then that, you'll mostly have to wait for the course.

Brush up on your Nav, Section attacks and Defence Op's as well.

I've taught PLQ and ran PLQ work-up training.   What Garett Hallman says about the BFT and orders format is what you should focus on.   If you are weak on Navigation, swing by your QM and draw a compass.   Find a unit mentor (if one has not been assigned to you).   Reading about stuff is all fine and dandy but it isn't as effective as being required to preform the skill.   Have your mentor assess your performance.   If you blunder in your work up, no big deal,   Its a training environment.   Better there than on course.

Summary: BFT, NAV, and especially orders format & battle procedure.   The rest will fall in place.   Good Luck

I forgot to mention Nav, it is something that is reviewed on the course but not focused on.  Really if you can't nav when you get on the course you probably shouldn't be there.

The recce patrols are the big stumbling block on the course.  Its usually an eight hour command period and you gotta go through battle procedure correctly, then you gotta nav to your objective, do your drills properly then nav back all the time doing everything tactically.

Most failures are for not giving a full set of orders (guys skip things even though its right on front of them) and not finding the objective.

On the PLQ Land you aren't really assessed on the task though, just leadership.  The task assessment is a guide for the instructor but it doesn't even have to be filled out, the PO 201 Leadership assessment form is the only thing that counts.  That means you can screw it all up but if you have good leadership throughout, you pass.

Great system aint it?!?!?

foerestedwarrior said:
dont know if it will work, but give er a go

http://ctc.gagetown.mil.ca/infantry/school/courses/document/PLQ2/English/index.htm

no...the link didn't go anywhere... :-\

That's because its the DIN Intranet link.. only works on DND network computers.

Back