• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

Eye In The Sky said:
Seen.  Is that a CLS/LFAA policy/directive, or maybe just a 37 CBG thing (you 37 Bde guys ARE AFdU afterall  :blotto:)?  I was sure there were some A/L in 36 when I left.

BTW thought is was you 36 Bde guys that where AFdu  ;D

All I know is that I got one Cpl who can not be appointed to MCpl because they do not have their QL5.

NFLD Sapper said:
BTW thought is was you 36 Bde guys that where AFdu  ;D

All I know is that I got one Cpl who can not be appointed to MCpl because they do not have their QL5.

Seen.  I think thats the difference.  Not having QL5 is a MOC qual deficiency, no?  PLQ is not MOC specific, rather a DP 2 PD qual. 

It is very common for people to get A/MCpl without 5s.  I'm on my 5s now and have two MCpls on course with me.

So, Iv finaly been loaded on a PLQ course Jan 7 2010 - Feb 9 2010... Its the new DL version. 3 weeks at home working online, then 9 days in Aldershot doing the residency portion of the mods.. Only after sucessful completion of mods 1-5 will I start the Mod 6... wich starts the day after.

What are the diffrences between Mod 6 L, and Mod 6 Inf. ?

Im glad I can finaly get this taken care of, even though Its been 3 years, a Tour, and alot of people (From my Sec IC to the Career Mangeler) telling me, `you dont need it. Its just a check in the box`.  The Career Managers words EXACTLY!

PLQ (I)

To successfully complete Mod 6 the candidate must achieve the following:

(1)    PO 201 – Lead Subordinates:

(a)    EC 201 – Written EC that includes material covered in Mods 1 – 5; and

(b)    PC 201 – Practical PC – Leadership assessment during Patrolling, Defence and Offence;

(2)    PO 205 – Plan Operations:

EC 205 – Written EC;

(3)    PO 206 – Conduct Operations/Control Direct Fire:

EC 206 – After Action Review, once following the Small Party Task Exercise and once following a  field assessment;

(4)    PO 207 – Control Indirect Fire;

(5)    PO 208 – Conduct Patrolling Operations;

(6)    PO 209 – Conduct Dismounted Offensive Operations:

(7)    PO 210 – Defend the Main Defensive Area;

(8)    PO 211– Conduct Transitional and Unique Operations;

(9)    EdO 201– Describe Dismounted Infantry Doctrine and Tactics;

(10)    EdO 202– Describe Combat Arms Doctrine; and

(11)    EdO 203– Analyze current threat.

PLQ (L)

To successfully complete Mod 6 the candidate must achieve the following:

(1)    PO 201 – Lead Subordinates:

(a)    EC 201 – Written EC that includes material covered in Mods 1 – 5; and

(b)    PC 201 – Practical PC – Leadership assessment during Patrolling, Defence and Offence;

(2)    PO 205 – Plan Operations:

EC 205 – Written EC;

(3)    PO 206 – Conduct Operations/Activities:

EC 206 – After Action Review, once following the Small Party Task Exercise and once following          a field assessment;

(4)    PO 207 – Lead Section in Offensive Operations:

(a)    EC 207 – Written EC;

(b)    EC 207 – Practical ECs on Control Weapons Fire and Target Indication; and

(c)    PC 207 – Practical PC – lead a section Advance to Contact and Quick Attack or urban                    assault.

(5)    PO 208 – Lead Section in Defensive Operations:

(a)    EC 208 – Written EC; and

(b)    PC 208 – Practical PC – lead a section during occupation of the defence or routine in the defence.

(6)    PO 209 – Lead Dismounted Recce Patrol:

(a)    EC 209 – Written EC – patrolling and navigation; and

(b)    PC 209 – Practical PC – lead a Dismounted patrol in an urban or green environment.

Hotwire said:
So, Iv finaly been loaded on a PLQ course Jan 7 2010 - Feb 9 2010... Its the new DL version. 3 weeks at home working online, then 9 days in Aldershot doing the residency portion of the mods.. Only after sucessful completion of mods 1-5 will I start the Mod 6... wich starts the day after.

Has anyone tried the DL version of these mods?

How was it?  if I wind up going that's probably what'll get handed to me.

I'm now in the navy,and did my plq last feb.  It was pretty much an attend and keep your mouth shut  course.  By week 1, I was told to stop polishing my boots.  About three inspections anon anon.  The references did not line up with the lectures, and the flaws in the exams could not be corrected because Trentonhadn't approved.  Center of excellance my @ss.  The instructors petty new thier stuff pretty well, and one used to be an RCR, but...  Center of excellence again.  The field phase was as good as they could, but there is a noted lack of bushes in the ocean, so it's pretty much spit out the stuff they said earlier in the coures.  One of my lectures was map and compass.  The compass came in deg,xand the maps in mills.  The northings had different numbers on the different ends of the same gridline........  I wasn't permitted to teach any weapons lectures or such as I was an infantryman for 10 years (RCR).  Once again, for the most part, thet tried, but I was expecting a little more.  All in all, a few weeks and one more box checked I guess.

The DL Part, Even though dont start untill Jan, Iv already been looking threw. The written lectures are pretty vauge, and kind of all over the place. One thing I do think is well done are the videos, well the 2 Iv seen so far. I havent looked at any of the home work yet, or the testing for the DL portion.

Im ready to get on with this course, The field portion is what Im looking forward too. Feb, Im sure will be cold and wet in NS.

That it will be Hotwire but on the flipside the training area is really small, virtually impossible to get lost.

well, week one of the residency is done. All my lessons taught and passed. 1 more week of residency left then we get onto mod 6.

they are saying that mod 6 run as a FOB now. And they are saying there is only 9 days in the field. Im still weary about this place though. Our course is a mix of purple, black, blue, and green. Kinda looks like a bad bruise.... Feels like it too.  :-\

The DL portion didn't line up with the residency portion at all, our assignments were not forwarded as we were instructed they would be. Lesson plans were not to the same standard in either location. But, this is to be expected from a course that is pretty much set in pudding. The time table, the lessons, and the standards are changing as we speak. there are Airforce techs that are being pushed into the mod 6... how does that work??

Hotwire said:
well, week one of the residency is done. All my lessons taught and passed. 1 more week of residency left then we get onto mod 6.

they are saying that mod 6 run as a FOB now. And they are saying there is only 9 days in the field. Im still weary about this place though. Our course is a mix of purple, black, blue, and green. Kinda looks like a bad bruise.... Feels like it too.  :-\

The DL portion didn't line up with the residency portion at all, our assignments were not forwarded as we were instructed they would be. Lesson plans were not to the same standard in either location. But, this is to be expected from a course that is pretty much set in pudding. The time table, the lessons, and the standards are changing as we speak. there are Airforce techs that are being pushed into the mod 6... how does that work??

Also you have to remember that MOD 6 is broken up into 2 modules,

MOD 6 MOD 1
is common to everyone and lasts for 2 weeks. It encompasses small party tasks.

MOD 6 MOD 2
is for those employed/working in a land enviroment and lasts for 4 weeks and deals with section attacks and the like....

It may have changed since I did mine 3 yrs ago so ..........

My  :2c: your mileage may vary

dumb-a***D question
clc combat leadership course (combat arms)
jlc junior leadership course (non combat arms support)
im hazarding a guess that now these 2 are combined?
into the primary (primary leadership course)
just curious as that was how it was back in my day
so to speak...
one more question (is the reserve primary leadership
course the same as reg force) in qualifictions ect...
just an old ironsides curiousity...
cheers ....
scoty b

wildman0101 said:
dumb-a***D question
clc combat leadership course (combat arms)
jlc junior leadership course (non combat arms support)
im hazarding a guess that now these 2 are combined?
into the primary (primary leadership course)
just curious as that was how it was back in my day
so to speak...
one more question (is the reserve primary leadership
course the same as reg force) in qualifictions ect...
just an old ironsides curiousity...
cheers ....
scoty b

PLQ is a total force course so you can have a mix of both on it...

nfld sapper
so your saying the plq(primary leadership course is equivalent
to the clc/jlc combined???
regards
Principles of Leadership
1) Achieve professional competence and pursue self-improvement

2)Clarify objectives and intent

3) Solve problems; make timely decisions

4) Direct; motivate by persuasion and example and by sharing risks and hardships

5) Train individuals and teams under demanding and realistic conditions

6) Build teamwork and cohesion

7) Keep subordinates informed, explain events and decisions

8 ) Mentor, educate, and develop subordinates

9) Treat subordinates fairly; respond to their concerns, represent their interests

10) Maintain situational awareness; seek information; keep current

11) Learn from experience and those who have experience

12) Exemplify and reinforce the miiltary ethos; maintain order and discipline; uphold professional norms

would you concur the training is the same
and regards to my initial question do the reserves have or are
qualified the same... even though thier training is about or better
considering-reg force.... dont get me wrong ive worked with both
reg force and reserve... was my pleasure working with direct
entries also and they were top notch...
really hope you dont mind all the questions as im just an old iron-
side catching up so to speak...
thanks mate ,,,,cheers,,,,
                        scoty b

Can't comment on the JLC/JNCO/CLC Courses as they are before my time....

For PLQ there is only one course, no shortening of the course for the PRes (i.e. course is 50 training days long). So the qualification is the same wether you are REG or PRES.

If anyone has a current aide memoire or orders format that would be useful for the field portion of the mod 6 I would really appreciate a copy. PM me and I'll send you my din email address along with many thanks.

CHIMO!

Back