• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Primary Leadership Qualification Course (PLQ) Mega thread

ARMY_101 said:
Reserves are part-time and there to conduct training less frequently than those who are on full time taskings.  It doesn't seem realistic to make them go through the same standard and length of training when they only (usually) work part time.

And when they do work full time (on exercise or deployment) are they then supposed to stay I would love to do this task but I am a reserve and we don't do this.

No, their leaders are supposed to be professionals who are educated and understand the system.  Plus, the training deltas are all documented in the appropriate course materials, so any required delta training can be provided.

On the other hand, finding a Reg F clerk who is trained in the CF system "Revised Pay System for the Reserves" is quite rare - usually, they require training if posted to a Reserve unit.  In other words, when someone comes in who because of their training regime and / or experience lacks some skillsets that are needed for the job, you train them - whether Reg or Res.

ARMY_101 said:
Reserves are part-time and there to conduct training less frequently than those who are on full time taskings.  It doesn't seem realistic to make them go through the same standard and length of training when they only (usually) work part time.

That ideal caused the Big R little r rift from days before. Now, at least in the SigOp world, all of the courses are condensed, but contain the same PO checks as the Reg F counterparts. If you want interoperability between the reserves and the regs, you need to train the reserves to the same standard, even if the total time is longer or broken into mods. My PLQ was 9 weeks long, 4 weeks shorter than the current standard, but we covered everything, just in a shorter period of time. Long days, some missed weekends, but the same deal.

dapaterson said:
Reg F is the biggest offender for Acting lacking, as Reserve promotion policy explicitly states that you can't be lacking a leadership qualification.

For the clerks: the majority of Reserve clerks in the Army will not perform the tasks taught on the Reg F course and not on the Res course.  Therefore, why train them in those skills?  Train-to-need is the name of that philosophy.

thanks for the pick up - forgot to indicate the acting lacking comment was in regards to reg f.

Army 101, you are way off base. The role of the reserves is not to work part time. It is to have a prepared force ready to augment the reg f or mobilize for operations.

The PLQ is working fine as it stands now. We should at every oppurtunity, have reg f and reserve f do the same courses. Look at how often reservist deploy overseas.

You need to check you head space and timing when it comes to understanding how and where the PRes fits into the big picture.

101 it sounds like you have been getting info from some old time part time career reservist as that was the mentality of a lot of them in the 80's. Some even treated the reserves as nothing more than a social club (unfortunately there are still a few of those out there).  Todays reservist should do the same course training as their reg f counterpart so they can do the job they are meant for - augmenting the reg f when needed.

QUESTION about PLQ this summer:

I heard a rumor that the PLQ slated for this summer (specifically Gagetown) is reg force only. Becasue of the new distance learning part they want to test it out first. Does anyone know what the deal is?

Also does anyone know why a command wouldn't have authority to load pers on courses? Please PM me if you have an idea.

Sometimes for trials a course is limited to a specific audience.  The PLQ DL may be such a case.

A Command can only load pers if they ahve been authorized vacancies, and if the train-to-need is met.  So it's quite unlikely that the Air Force would load a pilot on an advanced recce patrolman course, for example - no requirement.

In the case of PLQ-Land, to my knowledge medical trades do not take PLQ-L; they take CF-PLQ; thus Health Services wouldn't be loading people onto PLQ-L.

All of the serials in Gagetown are still listed as REG/PRES.

And the DL portion seems to be on MOD 1-5 so I am wondering if they finally "fixed the system" for MOD 5 as part of it was supposed to be a DL package.

No medics take PLQ-L, or at least reserve medics do since we're feild units.

So the PLQ DL's in gagetown are PRES too? That was just something I heard, but no one in my unit knew if it was true or not.

How are authorized vacancies for a course alotted? Is it up to the course/LFAA to allot spots to the different commands?

PteFabulous said:

So the PLQ DL's in gagetown are PRES too? That was just something I heard, but no one in my unit knew if it was true or not.

How are authorized vacancies for a course alotted? Is it up to the course/LFAA to allot spots to the different commands?

AFAIK all PLQ's run at the Area TC's are all REG/PRES courses.

Suggest you talk to your CoC,

Here is the listings off the PLQ's running at or by LFAA TC

DP2 - PLQ (L) Mod 6 DP2 REG/PRES 21/Apr/09 1/Jun/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 14/Apr/09 29/Apr/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 20/Apr/09 5/May/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 1/May/09 12/May/09
DP2 - PLQ (L) Mod 6 DP2 REG/PRES 13/May/09 23/Jun/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 13/May/09 29/May/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 3/Jun/09             12/Jun/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 4/Jun/09          22/Jun/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 24/Jun/09 6/Jul/09
DP2 - PLQ (L) Mod 6 DP2 REG/PRES 7/Jul/09  17/Aug/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 9/Jul/09  24/Jul/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 27/Jul/09 6/Aug/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 9/Jul/09  24/Jul/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 27/Jul/09 6/Aug/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 29/Sep/09 14/Oct/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 16/Oct/09 27/Oct/09
DP2 - PLQ (L) Mod 6 DP2 REG/PRES 28/Oct/09 8/Dec/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 26/Oct/09 10/Nov/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 13/Nov/09 24/Nov/09
DP2 - PLQ Mod 1-5  DL DP2 REG/PRES 12/Nov/09 27/Nov/09
DP2-PLQ  Mod 1-5 RESIDENCY DP2 REG/PRES 30/Nov/09 9/Dec/09

(All info is current as of the 24 Mar 09 ver of the Army National Calendar)

PteFabulous said:

For Army run courses such as PLQ Land, there is an annual conference where the Army allocates positions on courses.  The Health Svcs Gp attends and makes its requirements known.  (There's a second go-round as well to get better clarity on the numbers.)  There is an agreement that a certain proportion of training slots will be made available to the Medical Reserve that dates from when the Med Res was transferred from the Army.

Was Med RTU this summer from PLQ L.  Is it still possible to be promoted to MCpl, provided you finish the rest of the course with in a certain time frame?

I did manage to complete Pt 1 successfully. If that matters.

:cdn: :yellow:

21trucker said:
Was Med RTU this summer from PLQ L.  Is it still possible to be promoted to MCpl, provided you finish the rest of the course with in a certain time frame?

I did manage to complete Pt 1 successfully. If that matters.

:cdn: :yellow:

I'm not aware of anyone being appointed MCpl without having completed PLQ mod 6 in its entirety. You may be able to go back and only do part 2, however. I would ask your chain of command about the possibility of getting in touch with the leadership company and finding out if they could parachute you in to part 2 of a subsequent course sometime earlier than next summer. On my mod 6 (infantry) we had several people join at two weeks and four weeks into the course who had medically RTUed on an earlier one.

You can be promoted to appointed MCpl without PLQ.  IIRC, it must completed within two years of the promotion appointment.

I've known lots of people promoted appointed without it.

PMedMoe said:
You can be promoted to appointed MCpl without PLQ.  IIRC, it must completed within two years of the promotion appointment.

I've known lots of people promoted appointed without it.

PRes no, you must first complete the course then get appointed to MCpl.

NFLD Sapper said:
Then I would have be a A/Sgt for the last year EITS.

Seen.  Is that a CLS/LFAA policy/directive, or maybe just a 37 CBG thing (you 37 Bde guys ARE AFdU afterall  :blotto:)?  I was sure there were some A/L in 36 when I left.

Back