• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prince Harry may be training in Alberta: reports

vangemeren

Inactive
Reaction score
Prince Harry may be training in Alberta: reports
Article Link

Updated Sat. Jun. 2 2007 8:08 AM ET

Canadian Press

MEDICINE HAT, Alta. -- There are reports that Britain's Prince Harry may be training at Canadian Forces Base Suffield in southern Alberta.

A media lockout at the base has fuelled rumours, which have resulted in dozens of calls to a local radio station.

Some people are saying they can vouch for the fact that the 22-year-old prince is in town, but won't give their names.

Harry was set to be posted to Iraq as a British army officer earlier this spring and seemed eager for the chance.

But the decision was then made that it would be too dangerous for other troops and for the prince, who British military officials say would become a prime target.

CFB Suffield, which is approximately 50 kilometres northwest of Medicine Hat and 250 kilometres southeast of Calgary, is home to a British Army Training Unit.

A spokesman for the training unit won't confirm or deny whether Harry is in Alberta.

If he's training in Alberta, why get the media involved? All it can do is hamper the training efforts and get in the way. People in the military have to travel to train, that's not something new. Don't let the media turn the bases into a media frenzy.

im not really seeing the big deal....yes he's royalty, maybe even cute, but he's there to train not party. If he is in the middle of no where he probably will stay on base. The only problem may be girls trying to get in there!

Too bad it got leaked out, poor guy probably never gets a break. Can't even fight with his men cause he'd be a target! terrible.

I agree with the previous sentiments, the Prince just wants to be a soldier. It's sad to see that the media won't let him do his job by constantly creating a media circus regardless of what he is doing. Shame on the media for this. Leave him be and let him lead his troops in peace (or war, since it seems he does want to lead his troops overseas).

If his unit goes to Iraq, then he should accompany them. What a great message it sends to the Army and the British people. Not sending him to Iraq also sends a different message and one that doesnt sit well with the common folk. If he went to Iraq the British would do well to send a message to Tehran that if anything happened to Cornet Wales they would be held accountable.He's in the Army for Christ sakes, if the Army cant protect a Lt then they have no business in Iraq.

While there are many arguments to let him go with his unit, there are just as many for against it.  A big issue I see is that his presence would a) divert resources to aid in his security and b) put undue danger on his unit by his presence.  He’s a soldier, but he is a prince first and that carries with it a lot of importance and symbolism.  While it does send a message to the people and other soldiers that he is getting differential treatment, it has to be said that he IS different and IS special.  The enemies know this and will undoubtedly do everything they can to cause problems surrounding one soldier.  It would cause a security nightmare for the coalition to have him there.  While other Royals have seen active duty in wars before (Prince Andrew in the Falklands for example), in this case it was deemed too dangerous to let him go.  At one point there were tabloid reports that he would quit if he wasn’t allowed to go.  While there is no doubt he is crushed personally, he handled it with tact and stayed on as he should. 

I don’t know how valid this idea is….but it occurred to me that there might be other reasons beyond the security issue surrounding the decision to hold him back from going.  Perhaps his personal involvement in an unpopular war may cause negative association with the Royal family.  By staying out of it personally, it distances the Royal family from the issue on one level. 

Along the same train of thought….what if the Prince or his unit was implicated in say an accidental shooting of a civilian (as can happen in war and has been reported from this one) or any other sort of controversy (and there have been many thus far).  It would cause a Royal blowup (couldn’t resist the pun ;).  While the family does hold up to scrutiny well and continues to prove their modern relevance, the cleanup from a potential problem like this would be a mess.

tomahawk6 said:
If his unit goes to Iraq, then he should accompany them. What a great message it sends to the Army and the British people. Not sending him to Iraq also sends a different message and one that doesnt sit well with the common folk. If he went to Iraq the British would do well to send a message to Tehran that if anything happened to Cornet Wales they would be held accountable.He's in the Army for Christ sakes, if the Army cant protect a Lt then they have no business in Iraq.

I'm thinking he must be HUGELY frustrated - he appears to want to just do the job.

However, as InfantryGrrl mentions I don't think it's as simple as the UK military being able to protect a specific Lt - it's about a specific Lt. who would make a MARVELOUS kidnap target.  I think it's also fair to ask how much more his troops would be at risk than just any other Lt's troops, considering what a neon-lighted officer (as far as the enemy is concerned) he would be.

InfantryGrrl said:
I don’t know how valid this idea is….but it occurred to me that there might be other reasons beyond the security issue surrounding the decision to hold him back from going.  Perhaps his personal involvement in an unpopular war may cause negative association with the Royal family.  By staying out of it personally, it distances the Royal family from the issue on one level.

Don't know enough about Royal politics, but I'm guessing that this kinda public opinion would be less of a factor than the other good points you raise.  I think they would worry about the potential impact of the kidnapping/death of a royal than anything else.

All this said, is there ANY conflict in the world where Brits are involved where this guy would be allowed to lead his troops?  Sad situation for someone who wants to do the job...

All this said, is there ANY conflict in the world where Brits are involved where this guy would be allowed to lead his troops?  Sad situation for someone who wants to do the job...

It IS sad for the guy.  By all accounts he really does seem to love his job and intends to make a career out of it.  All male Royals by tradition have to do military service.  Many do it because they have to and do their duties with honour, but for Cornet Wales it is actually a calling. 

Eeek....I love to read British Royalty tabloids too much ;).   

Like Milnewstbay I'd be curious what sort of conflicts/other duties he'd be allowed to do besides training as he intends to make a career of it and doesn't want to be behind a desk. 

Reminds of the Scarlet Pimpernel:

"They seek him here,
They seek him there,
Those froggies seek him everywhere.

Is he in heaven?
Is he in hell?
The Scarlet That demmed elusive Pimpernel."

Cornet Wales is going to Iraq. Cornet Wales is not going to Iraq. Cornet Wales is going to Afghanistan. Cornet Wales will be standing ceremonials at Buckingham. Cornet Wales is training at Suffield. Cornet Wales is being reassigned to another unit.

Anybody seen a photo of HRH recently?

If it is too "dangerous" for Harry to do his job then they should have made him serve in the Navy. Otherwise it would say alot to the public that a Royal is sharing the same dangers as the common folk. Frankly I would use Wales as bait and any militia that came after his patrol would die.

So instead he could be a floating target as opposed to a target in a tank.  Great idea.

Anybody seen a photo of HRH recently?

Call me a Royal nerd....

He was last photographed at the end of April on leave in the Caribbean with his girlfriend.  As far as I know he hasnt been seen around since.  So perhaps he is here training.       

HAHA The fact that I know the last time he was photographed indicates I need to get a life and perhaps a new hobby ;)   

Otherwise it would say alot to the public that a Royal is sharing the same dangers as the common folk.

The fact is he IS NOT common folk.  Read my previous post about why he's a risk to have there.  Also, there has been no public backlash about him being forced not to go.  The reception to the news has been understanding.  The public knows its not his choice.  

InfantryGrrl said:
Call me a Royal nerd....

He was last photographed at the end of April on leave in the Caribbean with his girlfriend.  As far as I know he hasnt been seen around since.  So perhaps he is here training.       

HAHA The fact that I know the last time he was photographed indicates I need to get a life and perhaps a new hobby ;)   

The fact is he IS NOT common folk.  Read my previous post about why he's a risk to have there.  Also, there has been no public backlash about him being forced not to go.  The reception to the news has been understanding.  The public knows its not his choice.  

Sounds likes somebody needs a posting to Suffield.

Prince Andrew not only served but saw action in the Falklands war. While we dont have royalty in the US we have our share of kidnap targets serving in the military.Tillman was a pro-athlete who wanted to see action. The mayor of Chicago's son is serving in the Army.Senator McCain's son is serving in the Marines. Senator Webb's son is a Marine officer in Iraq.

Sounds likes somebody needs a posting to Suffield.

YES!!!  Though I might have a hard time concentrating on WORK...  Hehe ;)   

Prince Andrew not only served but saw action in the Falklands war. While we don't have royalty in the US we have our share of kidnap targets serving in the military.Tillman was a pro-athlete who wanted to see action. The mayor of Chicago's son is serving in the Army.Senator McCain's son is serving in the Marines. Senator Webb's son is a Marine officer in Iraq.

America has NOTHING comparable to the cultural or historical significance of the Royal family.   

America has NOTHING comparable to the cultural or historical significance of the Royal family.

You are, of course, entitled to your opinion...

muskrat89 said:
You are, of course, entitled to your opinion...

Judging from the amount of time Larry King devotes to them I thought the Royals WERE an American icon.  >:D

tomahawk6 said:
Prince Andrew not only served but saw action in the Falklands war. While we dont have royalty in the US we have our share of kidnap targets serving in the military
Prince Andrew was in the skies when he saw action in the Falklands. There is an enormous difference between being in the skies under fire, and being on the ground in the center of a city filled with people determined on attacking and/or kidnapping. In the skies, it would take a pretty impressive shot from a rifle or even a large number of rifles to bring down a helicopter, not all Argentine units had the capability to bring down a Sea King with anti air equipment. Almost all radical forces on the ground in Iraq have the ability and the equipment to attack ground forces.
This all goes back to the debates on why he was kept back from Iraq, was it good to keep him back, and so on.

Perhaps my memory is off but didnt Prince Andrew decoy an Exocet away from a critical target ? Either you let the Prince serve in combat or its all for show. I think Harry could serve 6 months in theater with no one the wiser.

tomahawk6 said:
I think Harry could serve 6 months in theater with no one the wiser.

I would agree with you on this .. but the only problem is once again - the media. After all that has been said about his career and deployments, it wouldn't take long for someone to bring up a story in a paper pointing out that he has not been seen for 'X' many months. The media writers would, as always, put 2 and 2 together and come up with their own conclusion, even if that conclusion is far from reality.

Edit: When I say the media would put 2 and two to come up with their own conclusion, I am not meaning media like the BBC. I am meaning the many many tabloid outlets, who in turn catch on, and the larger ones like the BBC continue to widen the story and keep it in the public eye.

Back