• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs

Tcm621 said:
POET would transfer to AVS and probably allow you to skip Basic Electrical for AWS. Plus bmq, maybe end up with some credited for promotion. A plar is never going to hurt you.

I didn't take poet as I went through for ACISS core or sig op

Hello,

Just got a quick question in regards to the PLAR. I graduated from a college program that the Canadian Forces sends their subsidized members to take. Though I wasn't in the military, I still took the program. In terms of the PLAR, do they look for anything different if it was a military approved program? or does it not affect the time in which the PLAR takes at all?

I guess my real question would be, what else do they look at in the PLAR if you already graduated from a cirriculum that's military approved?

Good day,

The PLAR is used to assess all prior education and qualifications including courses taken by prior serving members who are applying for reenlistment into the Canadian Armed Forces related to the chosen occupation on the current application. Courses change over time and a PLAR is used to determine what knowledge gained from previous qualifications match the current requirements of the training for the occupation and may result in the granting of some qualifications towards the current courses/occupation standards.

For example if you've already done a basic military qualification course and the course has not changed then an individual would be granted that qualification and not have to redo the course if they are re-enrolled.   

Thank you for you quick response. Coincidently I got a call earlier saying the PLAR came back golden and that I'm set for an interview in a week and a half :).

Got my call!! Swearing in in November 7th and St. Jean starts on November 10th!!!!

I'm very happy and super excited

hey I just got in for basic on Nov 10!! I'm going in as a medic also. Are you flying from Edmonton to montreal?

Congrats on the offer! It is a good thing you only would accept what you really want to do eh?

MedicTWO said:
I think however I have one of the best file managers in the CFRC. It takes an average of 30 minutes to receive an email reply and I always get called back the same day! :)

Maybe I need to transfer my file to Edmonton then lol. The normal response to my emails are an automated message telling me that X is out of the office until Y followed by no response at all. Only about half of the emails I send (once monthly / bimonthly) get answered and I have never once had my call returned after leaving a message (And yes, I give my name, file number and phone number every time).

Vell said:
Maybe I need to transfer my file to Edmonton then lol. The normal response to my emails are an automated message telling me that X is out of the office until Y followed by no response at all. Only about half of the emails I send (once monthly / bimonthly) get answered and I have never once had my call returned after leaving a message (And yes, I give my name, file number and phone number every time).

I'm sorry to hear that! I guess I just lucked out :)

On a side note... Do not get hurt after you received your offer of enrollment. The extra paperwork sucks and may delay my going to basic.

Hello I have been in the application process for Refrigeration Mechanic Tech for the CF. Currently they are processing a plar for me. My question pertains to my past experience of school, work, and hours generally speaking does the CF recognize government certified experience ie ( apprenticeship training redseal trade with documented hours )? If so can you use those hours towards your doing back to back  QL3 and QL5? If you have any experience with this please reply.

RMJOE said:
Hello I have been in the application process for Refrigeration Mechanic Tech for the CF. Currently they are processing a plar for me. My question pertains to my past experience of school, work, and hours generally speaking does the CF recognize government certified experience ie ( apprenticeship training redseal trade with documented hours )? If so can you use those hours towards your doing back to back  QL3 and QL5? If you have any experience with this please reply.

A merge is bringing all these questions together.

Read:  http://army.ca/forums/threads/115480/post-1314603.html#msg1314603

RMJOE said:

The CF will take all the documents which you have provided (ie; Academic Transcripts, Provincial Certifications, Apprenticeship Programs, etc, etc) and compare these to the RM Tech training requirements.  They will then decide which portions, if any, of the training that you will need to complete and which portions will be granted.

All that information will be provided should you be made an offer of employment.

While I have one document to submit for my medical, I will have completed the things required on my end.  The people at my RC want to start a PLAR based on one of my trade choices (RMS Clerk) as I have a college diploma in this field and 7 years of experience.  I was initially all for it but since that, I have spent time searching for more information on PLARs.  It doesn't seem to really benefit in a new recruits case (prior military experience is something entirely different) and will only delay my application by having it processed.  I've even talked to the RMS Clerks at the RC and with very similar circumstances to mine, they were denied recognition.
It has been many years since I graduated college (I'm an old lady to some of you...) and I honestly do not mind doing my QL3's with everyone else.  I knew going into this that would start at the bottom and based on performance and time, I could move on up.  So am I able to decline the offer to start a PLAR?  Is that in my best interest?

If anyone has any insight, it would be great to hear.  Thanks for reading!

Pushpin said:
If anyone has any insight, it would be great to hear. 

This discussion may help.

PLAR and the Forces 
http://milnet.ca/forums/threads/50652/post-1371871.html#msg1371871

Pushpin said:
(I'm an old lady to some of you...)

And just a kid to others.

Meant, of course, in the nicest possible way...

Loachman said:
And just a kid to others.

Meant, of course, in the nicest possible way...

Ha!  Let's just say that should I have had a kid in my late teens, they would be eligible to join the forces no problem...  When going through my medical, I remarked how little there would be to report had I applied back in my twenties, hee!

Thank you for the above link, I went through it and it just wasn't quite what I was looking for but I appreciate it all the same.  I was just wondering if you can let the RC know that you would rather skip the PLAR and just start fresh.  If there is no perks to it (no increased wage), the PLAR in my case seems to be moot or even useless.

OR...

The PLAR results would help you move up in the list of 'most competitive applicant'.  Who knows.  Personally, in this day and age, anything that can be done/used to strengthen the application and increase the chance of receiving an offer, I would let it run its course.

I know someone who had a PLAR for an occupational transfer into a new trade and was granted a QL3 bypass based on college and experience.  Some people get it, some don't.  I doubt it will result in a big delay, but you can always ask the RC the pro's/con's.

A wee bit confused.
I was told that my PLAR is separate from my application process. That I can be chosen, sent to BMQ all while my PLAR is being assessed.
What I'm gathering here is that this is not the case.
Am I right in guessing that NOTHING happens until the PLAR is completed to?

Sempai Julia said:
A wee bit confused.
I was told that my PLAR is separate from my application process. That I can be chosen, sent to BMQ all while my PLAR is being assessed.
What I'm gathering here is that this is not the case.
Am I right in guessing that NOTHING happens until the PLAR is completed to?

Generally speaking, you are NOT eligible for selection or enrolment if a PLAR has been initiated and the results are still outstanding.  Rarely will they make exceptions to this rule.

Back