• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Profs say students lack maturity, feel entitled

dapaterson said:
Unlike Quebec, where the legal drinking age is just a suggestion.

And don't forget the hours...well about 40 years ago when I was a kid.....7 days a week in Hull till 3 in the morning....compared to Ottawa across the river......loved the sweet Quebec girls when Disco ruled.....  ;)

Cheers
Larry

YZT580 said:
In Sask. the starting age for K is 5 which translates to a graduating age of 17 to 18 from grade 12.  In Ont. it is 4 which gives us the 16 and 17 grouping.  It isn't the loss of grade 13 as much as it is the earlier starting age that screws things up.

ou forget that in Ontario we have JK and SK, so the ages balance out.

YZT580 said:
What else did they expect when they cancelled grade 13.  All it produced was a younger group of first year students.  We took the final maturing year of school and made it into a daycare for 3 and 4 year olds.  Now we have 16 and 17 year old young people out on their own for the first time in many cases.

This practice is nothing new and well predates the stopping of Grade 13.

Never had Grade 13 in BC. the real issue is the slow degradation of teaching material, my daughter learned almost zero geography in school. Her high school is teaching stuff that is basically grade 6-7 stuff. Keeping her from getting bored in school is the challenge as she is ahead in every class.

Colin P said:
Never had Grade 13 in BC. the real issue is the slow degradation of teaching material, my daughter learned almost zero geography in school. Her high school is teaching stuff that is basically grade 6-7 stuff. Keeping her from getting bored in school is the challenge as she is ahead in every class.
Does her high school offer IB or AP? 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RomeoJuliet said:
Does her high school offer IB or AP? 

She had to choose between Digital Media or IB, she wanted both, but she really wanted Digital Media. We just found out that the private school my wife works at offers free tuition for teaching staff kids. We just advised our oldest of that, but we will see what she thinks about that by June next year. Very likely we will put our oldest through it, because they have a serious no drug policy, unlike my oldest high school which seems to have a fair bit of drugs and thefts. 

Colin P said:
She had to choose between Digital Media or IB, she wanted both, but she really wanted Digital Media. We just found out that the private school my wife works at offers free tuition for teaching staff kids. We just advised our oldest of that, but we will see what she thinks about that by June next year. Very likely we will put our oldest through it, because they have a serious no drug policy, unlike my oldest high school which seems to have a fair bit of drugs and thefts.
Aye. Usually if a kid does full IB they will find more than enough academic rigour and challenge.

On the other hand, when I first went to university, faculty lectured in as many subjects as their field qualified them and the college required. They didn't have a union saying only three and only within a specified time range.  Each coached a sport or activity e.g. Rugby or The Debating Society.  They managed to publish and participated actively in the Faculty Club. They were in genteel poverty and some had only a bachelor's degree.  Doctorates were rare and acquired in senior years.  So, an argument could be made that today's professors are somewhat over entitled.

I would remind the professor that (at least in Quebec) university students are required to pass the English (or French) proficiency test before they graduate not as a qualification for entry.  If students don't meet the professors criteria for entry, then why is the university accepting them in the first place?  Perhaps money?

Students have always lacked maturity, except for you and I of course, and recruits these days have it far too easy.

RomeoJuliet said:
Aye. Usually if a kid does full IB they will find more than enough academic rigour and challenge.

We wanted her to go IB, but she made a convincing argument at the time for her choice. she is self motivated and smart. My youngest is also smart but has quite the personalty and wants what she wants, as long as she make right choices she be ok, but if she starts down the wrong road we will have trouble. for her, cadets and then likely RMC. She likes the military structure.

[quote author=Sandyson]
On the other hand, when I first went to university, faculty lectured on stones. They didn't have a union saying groot.  Each coached a sport or activity e.g. Hunting or The Stoner Society.  They managed to pound it out and participated actively in the Faculty Club. They were in genteel poverty and so only a bachelor's degree.  Doctorates were rare and acquired in senior years.  So, an argument could be made that today's professors are over entitled.[/quote]

Colin P said:
We wanted her to go IB, but she made a convincing argument at the time for her choice. she is self motivated and smart. My youngest is also smart but has quite the personalty and wants what she wants, as long as she make right choices she be ok, but if she starts down the wrong road we will have trouble. for her, cadets and then likely RMC. She likes the military structure.

Check out scholarship programs for the local private schools, like Mulgrave https://www.mulgrave.com/admissions/entrance-scholarships.

They're really keen on getting local kids in if they're smart, and you can go see them anytime I think vs. having to wait until the start of the school year.

My wife taught a bit at Mulgrave, you better not be just a bit rich to go there. meanwhile a little humour on the subject of downgrading school achievement https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=71&v=Zh3Yz3PiXZw

daftandbarmy said:
Check out scholarship programs for the local private schools, like Mulgrave https://www.mulgrave.com/admissions/entrance-scholarships.

They're really keen on getting local kids in if they're smart, and you can go see them anytime I think vs. having to wait until the start of the school year.

God damn.  I clicked on the link and immediately thought I'd have to change to a shirt and tie in front of my laptop. 

Dimsum said:
God damn.  I clicked on the link and immediately thought I'd have to change to a shirt and tie in front of my laptop.

I thought you Blue Jobs always wore a tie and long scarf :)

Back