• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

I met with my Career Manager in Feb of last year. Was told i was promoted and posted. Just less than two months later i was put on a T-Cat. My promotion was, and still is on hold, until "I can do the duties of my rank in the position held." As it was put to me, since I am not allowed field duty, and am presently in a first line unit, I cannot get promoted. However, if I where to go to a base unit, not being allowed to go to the field MAY not prevent me from getting promoted. I guess I will find out this APS what happens, as I am supposed to be posted to a field unit. I'll post back in 4 months or so.  ;\)

Regardless of the duties currently held or those possibly held, criterions for promotion are meeting the minimum medical categories for your occupation. Positions or jobs are not assigned minimum medical categories, the individuals are based on their occupation. Thus meeting universality of service. As quoted above and in many other threads, refer to CFAO 49-4 for greater details.

Promotion medical scrutiny is done using the last completed/approved CF 2088 (Periodic Health Exam).  Unless you have had a recent CF2088 completed that is awaiting signoff by a higher authority Base/Bde Surgeon or DMed Pol, there is no reason for deferring your promotion. 

If your employability is subsequently compromise then your new boss will be pissed-off.  To prevent this occurence of any bad blood, losing/gaining RSMs or CO would normally discuss your impending employment/ posting/position.

Hi, so I just recently left reg force comm rsh during the summer after 4+ years without QL5 qual.  4C release.

I just joined res rms, and I was wondering do I get promoted to cpl in the reserves now/soon? It's more of an personal annoyance still being a pte after 4 years reg time... when I was in comm rsh there were a bunch of guys getting promoted with 4 years time in and a QL3 qual. I've looked through lots of CFAOs trying to clarify... but I know its a weird situation...
thanks

thanks,
yeah ive seen that before, not that I was really able to get a solid answer out of it.. hehehe

but after talking with people at work, it seems good to go -i forgot that theres some trades around where the people dont eat each other ;D

There are some provisions in there for promotion to Cpl without a QL4/5 qual...but your CoC initiates them as they see fit.  I don't see where you can 'request' it. 

As you are still "unskilled" or not qualified as a RMS Clerk yet, you will have to wait out your time all over again.  Once you are qualified; your C of C may have a look into accelerating your promotion.

Well, I was just wondering what the chances for advancement are within the infantry, and how long it takes to move up to say a corporal
(Obviously you won't be promoted if your a dumb ass) or even a sergeant. I want to join the infantry but it would be a major deterrent if theres
not much of a chance to advance. Also, I've heard the starting pay for Infantrymen is around $30 000 a year for privates (before taxes) , and my parents
have told me its less than that. Is 30k accurate? 

-Tommy

Chances for advancement are good if you meet all expected requirements.

Private Recruits make 2585 per month.

2585 x 12 = 31020

Pay rates - http://www.forces.gc.ca/dgcb/dppd/engraph/dppd_coverpage_e.asp?sidesection=3&sidecat=28&docid=1

Lets see.....

Reg Force:

Pte IPC 1 2585/month x 12 months = 31020 before taxes and deductions.

Res Force:

Depends on how much you work.

Lets assume (and I have never seen this, but for argument sake):

Pte IPC 1 83.18/day x 365 days = 30342.45 before taxes and deductions.

As of the March 2008 pay table.

Promotion to Cpl in either to the Reg force or Reserve is pretty automatic.  3-4 years for Reg force and 2 years reserves.  It can be held back but it is rare.  Other ranks are determined by where you sit on the merit list to go on various leadership courses.  The potential for advancement in the infantry is excellent, especially right now.  I know of several keen soldiers that have gone from Pte to Sgt in 7-8 year range, so if you work hard you never know.

NFLD Sapper said:
Reserve Force:

Depends on how much you work.

Lets assume (and I have never seen this, but for argument sake):

Pte IPC 1 83.18/day x 365 days = 30342.45 before taxes and deductions.

As of the March 2008 pay table.

Now, remember, as a Reservist, you will not find a Pte who will qualify to be employed as Class B and paid for 365 days in a year.  It is only a hypothetical example.

When you have passed through BMQ, SQ and Trades Training you may be lucky to be employed as Class B, but in all likelihood you will be a Cpl or higher by that time.  It would be exceptionally rare to see a Pte so employed.

I'm curious - why is the time to Cpl shorter for Reserves than Reg force?  That seems counter-intuitive.

George Wallace said:
Now, remember, as a Reservist, you will not find a Pte who will qualify to be employed as Class B and paid for 365 days in a year.  It is only a hypothetical example.

When you have passed through BMQ, SQ and Trades Training you may be lucky to be employed as Class B, but in all likelihood you will be a Cpl or higher by that time.  It would be exceptionally rare to see a Pte so employed.

That's what I meant George, sorry if I wasn't too clear on it.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, the Infantry is sounding more and more like its the right job for me.

George Wallace said:

I wouldn't talk in absolutes George, it does happen (twice in my BOR).

jp86 said:
I'm curious - why is the time to Cpl shorter for Reserves than Reg force?  That seems counter-intuitive.

Retention and a need for NCOs.

First year Private in Regular Force Infantry in Edmonton living in quarters is a little over $1400 a month after all deductions, with a 3 meal per day, 7 days a week meal plan.  There will be an increase in about April, when the monthly field allowance kicks in.

There may be other factors as well.....

For example, I know of one soldier who spent a total of six years as a Private (and I must say, I was a pretty darn good one after all that experience). Mind you,   I    er, he was also a MCpl twice...before they decided the CF would be better off with him as an officer.

I'm just saying that one's Pte-to-Cpl time may also have to consider time spent at attention, minus headdress, before the CO.    ;D

Oh, and for what it's worth, "the bastard had it coming to him" is NOT a good defence! 

Back