• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Promotions in the CAF [Merged]

dapaterson said:
Well, a Capt 42 would have the answer to the ultimate question about Life, The Universe and Everything.

I see what you did there....

Zoomie said:
It also depends on speaking french, completing your PD and being able to run Exempt on your PT test.  Unlike the PRes, you also compete against every other equally ranked officer in your MOSID - so getting someone on your side when PER season comes around makes a big difference. 

All this goes out the window if someone has identified you for "deep select".
I am googling that as we speak, but I'm not getting helpful answers and now I'm curious.  "Deep select"?

Selected very early on for fast track through the ranks...... Often for very abstract reasons

For some the potential is recognized......for others it's well hidden....

Will previous academic standards (E.G. undergraduate degrees ) increase chances of promotions in NCM trades?

nickanick said:
Will previous academic standards (E.G. undergraduate degrees ) increase chances of promotions in NCM trades?

Not always. If you don't improve your academic standing year over year, you won't get additional points for potential at the merit board.

ModlrMike said:
Not always. If you don't improve your academic standing year over year, you won't get additional points for potential at the merit board.

But how can you improve your academic standing when you are already serving CF?
Will there be exams to take to increase your "grades", to get additional points?

nickanick said:
But how can you improve your academic standing when you are already serving CF?

Continuing education. Lots of CF folks go to school part-time outside of working hours. For example, i did my first university course by distance learning while i was deployed in Kosovo.

nickanick said:

You are merited on the basis of Performance and Potential and they go pretty much hand in hand.

If your performance is junk...you'll be waiting for a very long time for a promotion, regardless of NCO or Officer.

If you are in the top 10 for your trade and looking for someone to promote, something like that would be reflected in your file and may get you on top of the heap, but then again so does being bilingual, volunteering in the community, doing OPMEs etc.

Mind you I've sat on a few merit boards and there are a few troops that have a BA or higher and that never came up in any conversation at all, at least at the unit level.

Regards

Would an NCM member have better chance of promotion, if he/she has a degree before enrollment?

No.

Edit to add:  You already asked this question.

nickanick said:

Didn't like the answer or just forgot?

Having sat on a couple of NCM PER boards, points are given for level education.  Having a degree will carry more points then not having one. 

D3 said:
Having sat on a couple of NCM PER boards, points are given for level education.  Having a degree will carry more points then not having one.

That may be true, but usually for something the member has done in that PER year.  Check the OP's previous posts, he seems to be looking for a fast-track to the most money.

If Cpl Bloggins can't do his/her job, it matters not (to me, anyway) what level of education they had prior to joining.

D3 said:

Only if the member has done it in the past year while serving. Not before.

Regards

Nerf herder said:
Only if the member has done it in the past year while serving. Not before.

Regards

True, but it can also have a lasting effect. One can continue to accrue potential points in future years from having attained the higher education.

The mbr gains points for courses done in that reporting year.  That is how we did the unit level boards, at the formation level we used the same criteria that the national promotion boards used as our guideline.  There we added the factors of second language proficiency, deployments in rank and education level as an additional way to judge the mbr's potential and as tie breakers.

At the national  boards do give additional points for education level.  That being said, it may be enough points to get you up higher on the merit list but not enough to make up for deficient performance. 

Back