• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PSW Course Content?

portcullisguy

Inactive
Reaction score
I am apparently loaded on a Platoon Support Weapons Course (Res) this March in 32 CBG.

Does anyone out there know the course content? I recall a very helpful correspondent last year who had provided all the course content in point form for the SQ and DP 1 INF courses.

Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

QUALIFICATION STANDARD
INFANTRY PLATOON SUPPORT WEAPONS

PO 201
Performance. Fire the 9mm Pistol (Essential)
Standard. IAW specific references the soldier shall:
a. strip, clean and assemble the 9mm pistol;
b. load, unload, and make safe;
c. hold, aim and adopt firing positions;
d. carry out IA and stoppage drills; and
e. fire the 9mm pistol.

PO 202
Performance. Fire the General Purpose Machine Gun (GPMG) C6 in the Sustained Fire (SF) Role. (Essential)
Standard. IAW specific references the soldier shall:
a. understand the characteristics, capabilities, and limitations of the C6 GPMG in the SF role;
b. carry, mount and dismount the tripod and gun;
c. neutralize targets with the C6 GPMG using the iron sights;
d. neutralize targets with the C6 GPMG using the C2 sight unit;
e. complete target information sheet;
f. prepare the C6 GPMG for indirect fire;
g. prepare a gun position for later occupation; and
h. fire the C6 GPMG in the sustained fire role.

PO 203
Performance. Fire the 60mm Mortar with Bipod, (Direct Mode). (Essential)
Standard: IAW specific reference the soldier shall:
a. site the 60mm (mortars) IAW A48;
b. fire the 60mm Mortar in the direct mode using the M-5 bipod with C2 sight to include:
(1) mount M5;
(2) C2 sight unit;
(3) actions / cease firing;
(4) aiming and aiming points;
(5) recording and establishing aiming points;
(6) laying the mortar;
(7) direct fire;
(8) crank method;
(9) misfire drills;
(10) adjusting and recording; and
(11) site unit testing.

PO 204
Performance. Coach a Small Arms Firer. (Essential)
Standard. The coach must be able to improve the firer's performance by:
a. coaching firers on a small arms. and;
b. applying small arms coaching techniques, by:
(1) observing critical marksmanship aspects; and
(2) identifying and correcting probable course of error.

PO 205
Performance. Fire The SRAAW (H). (Supplemental)
Standard. IAW specific references the soldier shall fire the SRAAW (H) by:
a. site the SRAAW (H) I;
b. prepare the SRAAW (H) missile;
c. understand thermal imager fundamentals;
d. recognize armoured fighting vehicles level 1 and 2 using thermal imagery;
e. operate the EVIGS;
f. operate the EPGS; and
g. conduct fire missions with optical and thermal imagery with the EPGS.

Regular Force Total Time = 23.7 days
Primary Reserve Force Total Time = 11.8 days (primary difference in time is not training the SRAAW(H) (The Eryx))

No 60mm Mortar in it anymore. No ammo for it. At least thats how it is for the Mighty MOOOOOOOOOOOE-Litia. And the course is called DP2A.

Keep in mind that almost any part of a course may be removed from one or more serials because of a lack of equipment or other resources. 20+ years ago the 60 mm was ‘on again - off again‘ for basic infantry courses in the Reserves because of ammo shortages. But that doesn‘t mean it‘s not still officially part of the course curriculum.

Mike

Thanks again, Michael!

Hopefully the 60mm will be included. I have to say that was my favorite part of the infantry course, bar none. Why is that, you ask? Because they gave us live HE rounds!

That‘s too bad about the Eryx, but all the better anyway as I wouldn‘t want to have to hump one around.

Oh, is there a full FTX or is it just a couple of days on the range? I am assuming the latter, but one never knows!

With the small arms coaching element, am I correct in assuming this course is considered a sort of pre-leadership course?

I was looking forward to doing a driver or comms, but it didn‘t happen right away. Am I missing out by going straight from the DP1 infantry to the DP2A support weapons course?

As of this point, is the 60 mm still ‘on‘ the DP1 Infantry? A course last summer didn‘t have it, but that could have just been a supply problem.

I‘ve already fired the m203, but I am taking my BIQ this summer, and am wondering if there will be a new weapon for me to learn on it...

thanks,

Heh. 60mm mortar on bipod was good fun. I got 4x HE and 10x WP. Course was suppose to have 40, but ended up with 18. (including 3 guys from LFWA)

4 tubes w/ 8x WP each on fire mission = lots of smoke screen and very cool to look at.

4 tubes w/ 4x HE on delayed impact each on fire mission = one patch of ground spraying lots of dirt in the air. :)

I‘m not too sure on this, but I believe to be qualified basic mortarman is 4 HE and 2 WP rounds. True?

In any case, I hope there‘s enough ammo for 2A courses to teach 60mm. Lots of fun.

portcullisguy, the small arms couching part is considered some sort of leadership skill, as it qualifies you to teach someone how to shoot, but doesn‘t qualify you as ARSOs on range. (still need PLQ for that)

No FTX, just couple of days on range, depending on which weapons are taught on course.

You can learn how to drive a truck and being a radio b**** later on your career. Learn how to kill bad guys more ways first. :D
So far in my short career, 2A course was the best one yet and I doubt anything else can beat my experience. (lots of ammo and awesome staff)

I‘m on one right now and it‘s off the course. I have QL4 MG course and Mods 1-5 PLQ, so basically all I am learning on this course is the 9mm Pistol. Snooooooze.

Hmmm... Why are you on the course?

Rumour I heard was that if you‘re MG and comms qualified, you can do 2B course.

yeah RHF know how you were on that course? you used ALL the ammo, INCLUDING the next 2a that was suppose to run through. there was alot of ticked off guys about that.
the stuff is a breeze if you‘re not a numpty, I‘ve got the standards right beside me, I know most of this crap already. just need to learn to think proper names instead of calling it a "dohicky"
Greg

Yeoman, not my problem, bud. Blame whoever was in charge of ammo distribution. Did I also mention that everyone on my course got 9 boxes of C6 ammo EACH? :D

Heh. This qualifies me as very few pte/cpl qualified as 60mm mortarman in the reserver world, probably. :D

**** man, I really wished I got my 2a course. but nooooooooooo I decided going regs was better. **** me. I‘ve had to turn up 2a, drivers, and a tour to bosnia, this sucks.
I heard you guys started some traccer fires, and some fires with the mortar as well.
Greg

I fired tons of 7.62 on my MG course. That was 3 years ago, before the ammo shortage became a crisis. The DP2B course has been scrapped.

Hmmm... That‘s odd.

AFAIK mod6 just assesses leadership skills in the field and does not supposedly teach section attacks.

2B was suppose to be infantry thing for section attacks and what not.

Or things changed again?

yeoman, hot dry meaford summer plus lots of tracers flying around. Of course there‘s going to be some smoke. :)

Don‘t remember starting fires with mortar though. I did take down a tree with HE. That was cool.

They scrapped it because you do all the same stuff in Mod 6...you are just retested on it. So its an extra month for more Charlie Oscar Charlie Kilo. Plus it cost money, so they scrapped it.

Michael,
A few guys from my unit did DP2A(RES) during this past summer (I believe it was the first time offered) at WATC. Some of them had mortars on their course, and a few did‘nt. Regardless they said the course was 3.5 weeks long. How does that factor in with the 12 days claimed for the reserve course?

Also, does anyone know about qualifications to CPL? Back in the day, as long as you had two years in (from swear in date?) and a QL4 (MG, Driver, Comms, Recce) you were eligible to be promoted. Now do you just need this DP2A?

The reason I ask is this; Summer 02, I did my basic, Summer 03, did my SQ. This summer coming up, I am doing my BIQ (which is apparently 5 weeks long now, as they moved Gustav and Grenades from SQ to BIQ - ****, ive done both already), and I may want to take my DP2A as well.

There telling me I have to do this course, although my unit signed me off on all those weapons systems, I have my QL4 MG, and I was in a Reg Force Weapons Det. for a year. I told them to take a hike.

The qualification for corporal in res world is two years in since your date of enlistment.

Don‘t need no course.

The only thing that‘ll prevent someone from getting promoted is that you still need CO‘s recommendation. Then again, a lot of units give out corporal‘s chevron‘s like chocolate and cream cookies.

I hate it how corporal‘s rank is more of a gimme rank than it was before.

2b was not scrapped, its a requirment for infantry to get promoted to Master Corporal.  I don't know where you heard that from, but you might want to check you sources again. 

Back