• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Michael Freeman - 3 RCR - 26 Dec 2008 - 3 wounded

I may not be the smartest corn on the cob but what gets me is when people post comments like this idiot on CBC. Wonder if it's our little friend from BC.

QUOTE:
proudcdnsoldier wrote:
Posted 2008/12/26
at 6:35 PM ETAnother fine soldier has been taken from us......May God Bless.

For all of those folks who want to bring politics into this tragic event, here you go:
The Liberals sent us there to re-build the country. The present govt changes our roll as a combat force, on the bequest of the Bush govt.

For those who think we are there defending our Country, please wake up. Our Country's defense has nothing to do with it. Nothing in our mission has to do with defending OUR COUNTRY. But we as soldiers do follow orders, and following the orders of the Govt of the day is our job. We serve the master as well as we can, good, bad or indifferent. To that end, we are expendable. Sad!

God Speed!

END QUOTE

This is nor the time, and CERTAINLY NOT the place if you ask me.

Thoughts and prayers to family, friends and comrades of the fallen soldier, and a fast and full recovery to the wounded comrades.

My heart weighs heavy for my fallen brother and his loved ones. I won't mourn you too hard Brother, knowing that your death, while not predicable, is justifed amongst those whom your soul was destined to protect. May peaace be upon you and your loved ones. You and yours, my foremost thoughts in my mind tonight as I sit grateful for the gift of holding my own close to me. 

Now that I'm actually in/around the Toronto area, where will the motorcade go in TO so I can pay my respects?  RIP. 

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/War_Terror/2008/12/26/7855531-cp.html

By Steve Rennie, THE CANADIAN PRESS

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan - He was an avid golfer who loved nothing better than hitting a bucket of balls into the barren flatlands of Zhari district from a makeshift driving range at the Canadian outpost where he was stationed.

Afghan children would eagerly retrieve the golf balls he had driven deep into the dusty plains in exchange for candy.

But soldiers at Kandahar Airfield mostly remember Pvt. Michael Freeman's broad smile and staunch belief in Canada's military mission in Afghanistan.

Freeman, 28, was killed Friday when his armoured vehicle struck a roadside bomb during a security patrol in southern Afghanistan.

Three other soldiers were wounded in the attack and airlifted to the hospital at Kandahar Airfield. They are said to be in good condition.

Freeman served with November Company, 3rd Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment from CFB Petawawa, Ont. He was less than two weeks back in Kandahar from home leave. 

This was his first tour of Afghanistan.

"He had tremendous enthusiasm and was dedicated to the mission and to his fellow section mates," said Brig.-Gen. Denis Thompson, the commander of coalition forces in Kandahar province.

"He will be remembered by his friends and brothers-in-arms as a professional soldier who was always willing to lend a helping hand."

Thompson paid a surprise visit to Freeman's forward operating base on Christmas day to serve Christmas dinner to the troops posted there. The general dished turkey to Freeman only hours before his death.

"I have no doubt - although I wouldn't say that I remember serving him his turkey dinner - but, doubtless, I served Private Freeman his turkey dinner on Christmas day. And that does hit home," Thompson said.

This latest death brings to 104 the number of Canadian soldiers killed in the Afghan mission since 2002. One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

More on link.

RIP, soldier.......condolences to your family and friends.  We wish a full and speedy recovery to the wounded. :salute:

Canadian Soldier Killed in Afghanistan
CEFCOM NR–08.045 - December 27, 2008

One Canadian soldier was killed and three others were injured when their armoured vehicle was struck by an explosion in Zharey District about 12:45 p.m. Kandahar time, December 26, 2008. 

The fallen soldier is Private Michael Freeman of 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment based at CFB Petawawa.

All members of Task Force Kandahar are thinking of the family and friends of our fallen comrade during this time of sorrow.  The dedication and sacrifice of soldiers like Private Michael Freeman is helping to make a difference in the lives of countless Afghan citizens.

We will continue with our mission as we remember the life of Private Michael Freeman.  We remain committed to improving security and stability in Kandahar Province and working together with local Afghans to achieve peace and prosperity for their country.

-30-

RIP Pte Freeman. Thanks for everything you gave us. We're all thinking about your family, and all the other Canadian families who have lost their loved ones so close to Christmas.

pbi

RIP, Michael Freeman.  :salute: :cdn:

This is another soldier I trained on DP1 that I see has made the ultimate sacrifice. "Free Bird", you may be gone but most certainly not forgotten.

My condolences to the family, friends, loved and loving ones  :cdnsalute: .

:cdn:

Dimsum said:
Now that I'm actually in/around the Toronto area, where will the motorcade go in TO so I can pay my respects?  RIP. 
I am a member of the Toronto EMS Honour Guard.
We join ranks with Toronto Police , Fire, and the CF, at the Coroner's Office as the repatriation terminates.

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the Death of Private Michael Freeman
NR–08.089 - December 27, 2008

OTTAWA - The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister of the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

“On behalf of the Department of National Defence, I wish to express my deepest condolences to the family, friends and comrades of Private Michael Freeman, who was killed yesterday when the LAV III vehicle in which he was riding struck an improvised explosive device in the Zharey District in Afghanistan. Our thoughts are also with his three comrades who were injured in the same attack. We wish them a speedy recovery.

These brave men were selflessly serving Canada and working towards a noble goal – the reconstruction of Afghanistan. This UN-sanctioned, NATO-led mission is a challenging one which the Government of Canada and the world community are committed to in order to help the people of Afghanistan build a stable society after decades of war.

Private Freeman served his country bravely with pride and dedication. His sacrifice will not be forgotten.

-30-

Private Freeman was from 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa.

Body of Canadian soldier killed by bomb begins journey home
Defence minister, top soldier attend ramp ceremony
Last Updated: Saturday, December 27, 2008 | 12:02 PM ETCBC News

The flag-draped casket of the latest Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan was loaded into a military plane at Kandahar Airfield for the long journey home on Saturday.

freeman-michael-dnd.jpg

Pte. Michael Freeman, 28, was from 3rd Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment based at CFB Petawawa. (DND)

Defence Minister Peter MacKay and Chief of Defence Staff Walter Natynczyk attended the ramp ceremony.

The two officials were in Afghanistan visiting the troops when Pte. Michael Freeman's armoured vehicle struck a roadside bomb during a security patrol around 12:45 p.m. local time on Friday.

"Pte. Freeman served his country bravely with pride and dedication. His sacrifice will not be forgotten," MacKay said in a statement.

Freeman's death brings to 104 the number of Canadian soldiers killed in the Afghan mission since 2002. One diplomat and two aid workers have also been killed.

Canada has about 2,500 soldiers in Afghanistan. Most are based in the south around Kandahar. Its military mission is slated to end in 2011.

Roadside bomb attacks have killed seven Canadian soldiers in December alone.

Freeman, 28, served with November Company, 3rd Battalion, the Royal Canadian Regiment based at Canadian Forces Base Petawawa in eastern Ontario.

He is described as an avid golfer who staunchly believed in what he was doing.

Friends say Freeman loved to hit a bucket of balls into the barren flatlands from a makeshift driving range at the outpost where he was stationed.

They say Afghan children would eagerly retrieve the golf balls he had driven deep into the dusty plains in exchange for candy.

Freeman had returned to Kandahar less than two weeks ago from home leave. This was his first tour of duty in Afghanistan.

The attack in the Zhari District of Kandahar province also wounded three other soldiers. They were airlifted to the hospital at Kandahar Airfield and were reported to be in good condition.

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Private Michael Bruce Freeman
December 27, 2008

OTTAWA—The year is drawing to a close on a sad note. We have just learned that another of our soldiers, Private Michael Bruce Freeman, was killed by an improvised explosive device in Afghanistan, and that three of his comrades were injured.

Our thoughts turn to the parents, family and friends of Private Michael Bruce Freeman. The loss of their loved one is beyond measure. Our thoughts are also with the wounded soldiers, to whom we wish a full recovery. We know how fraught with worry their friends and families must be today.

May they take some comfort from the support of our entire country, and may they know how deeply we value their commitment to protecting and helping to rebuild Afghanistan alongside its citizens. Our soldiers carry out their duties selflessly and with great determination, risking their lives to do so. Over the past few days, they have been distributing much-needed supplies to families, particularly to children, in the Kandahar region. Their generosity only heightens our feeling of utter helplessness when we lose one of them. All Canadians are saddened by this tragedy.

To the members of the Canadian Forces who are continuing their mission in Afghanistan by giving the very best of themselves, and who are grappling with this most recent incident, we offer our encouragement and profound gratitude.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media Information
Lucie Caron
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-301-7344
www.gg.ca
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca

Statement by Prime Minister Stephen Harper
27 December 2008
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of a Canadian soldier in Afghanistan:

“On behalf of all Canadians, I would like to offer my thoughts and prayers to the family, friends and comrades of Private Michael Freeman of 3rd Battalion, The Royal Canadian Regiment based at CFB Petawawa, who died yesterday in Afghanistan when his LAV III vehicle struck an improvised explosive device in the Zharey District.

Our thoughts also go out to his three comrades who were injured in the same attack.  We wish them a prompt recovery and thank them for their selfless service to Canada.

The Canadian Forces are making an immense sacrifice to bring freedom, democracy and self-reliance to the people of Afghanistan, all the while protecting Canada’s values and security. 

The Government of Canada is proud of the selfless work being performed by our Canadian Forces members in this United Nations-mandated, NATO-led mission in Afghanistan.  Through their efforts, and those of our allies, the Afghan people have been given hope of a brighter future.”

Back