• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Pte. Tyler William Todd, 1 PPCLI 11 April 2010

old medic

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100411/soldier_killed_100411/20100411?hub=TopStoriesV2
CTV.ca News Staff
Date: Sunday Apr. 11, 2010 2:18 PM ET

A Canadian soldier has been killed by a roadside bomb while on foot patrol in Afghanistan.

Pte. Tyler William Todd, 26, was killed early Sunday near the town of Belanday, which is about eight kilometres southwest of Kandahar city.

Todd was from Kitchener, Ont., but was serving with the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry based in Edmonton.

Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard, the commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan, said Todd was on a routine patrol, speaking to local villagers.

The region is heavily travelled by Taliban militants, who stage attacks on Belanday from local grape and wheat fields.

Last November, the Canadian battle group established a permanent presence in Belanday, setting up a platoon house there as part of an experiment by military brass to have troops leave their fortified bases and live among the population.

It was lauded as a success at NATO headquarters and even praised by U.S. generals, as the Canadian soldiers turned the town from a no-go zone into an oasis of calm in Taliban territory.

Just a few weeks ago, Canadian troops and Afghan soldiers swept an area just south of Belanday and had been assured by locals that the Taliban had fled the area.

Todd's death brings to 142 the total number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan since 2001.

Just saw this on the ctv.ca site.  :salute: to the fallen.

My condolences to his family, friends and comrades in arms.  :yellow:

450_todd_100411.jpg

RIP soldier

Damn ... Condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of the fallen.

This from the CF:
One Canadian soldier was killed by an improvised explosive device that detonated during a dismounted security patrol in Dand district at approximately 7:30 a.m. Kandahar time on 11 April 2010. The incident occurred in the vicinity of Belanday, Dand district, approximately eight-kilometres southwest of Kandahar City.

Killed in action was Private Tyler William Todd from the 1st Battalion Princess Patricia’s Canadian Light Infantry, based in Edmonton, Alberta. He was serving as a member with Task Force 3-09 Battle Group.

At this sad time, our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of our fallen Canadian comrade. The commitment and sacrifice of our soldiers and their loved ones are helping to make a difference in the lives of the people of Kandahar Province.

Members of Joint Task Force Afghanistan work with soldiers and police of the Afghan National Security Forces to improve security and build a better future for Afghans. Canada remains committed to bringing peace, stability and good governance to Afghanistan.

Have been waiting aprehensively for news of our latest Fallen to reach the net/TV since 9erD received word this morning hastening his return to Pet to prep for the Repatriation Ceremony. Another sad day for our troops and our Nation.

My condolances to the family and friends of Pte Todd and to his brothers-in-arms and the PPCLI family; I'm sorry for your loss.

We will not forget him.

Condolences to the family and friends of Private Tyler William Todd.

A sad day for Canada.

My deepest condolences to the family, comrades and friends of Pte Todd. 

I met Tyler on basic training, he was a kind young man and willing to help others.  My thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.  RIP Tyler, you will not be forgotten.

:salute: :salute:

RIP Dear Soldier, thoughts and prayers go out to family, friends and comrades....gone but never forgotten....

I just heard.  Sad news indeed.

RIP, soldier.

My condolences to his family, friends and comrades.

Back