• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

PTSD from Overseas Service in Afghanistan

the 48th regulator said:
Are you saying, that the observations are moot, due to the fact we are war and OSI's naturally increase?
I am saying that there is an increase because we are sending more people into situations where the conditions are right for people to get PTSD, and not an increase in prevalence or % in persons getting it.

Second post,

yes, military, % of those who went to those deployments compared to the 5% who get it now.

54/102 CEF said:
I think that % will stay the same even if you deploy more

Prairie Dog said:
I am saying that there is an increase because we are sending more people into situations where the conditions are right for people to get PTSD, and not an increase in prevalence or % in persons getting it.

Second post,

yes, military, % of those who went to those deployments compared to the 5% who get it now.

Stress cases climb sharply among Afghan mission vets 

Minister of Veterans Affairs presents 2006-07 Departmental Performance Reports

Due to the increased operational tempo, psychological and psychiatric-related conditions are on the rise among Veterans, still-serving CF members and RCMP. The increase is particularly noticeable among VAC clients suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Over the past five years the number of clients with a PTSD-condition has more than tripled, increasing to 6,504. As of March 31, 2007, a total of 10,525 clients are in receipt of a pension for a psychiatric condition. Our younger clients with service in Regular Force, Special Duty Area or RCMP represent 69 per cent of those pensioned for a psychiatric condition. Our traditional war service Veterans make up the remaining 31 per cent.

The only challenge is this; Does the tripling of cases mean a higher tempo in operations.  Does it mean the message is getting out, and the Military is more aware in understanding OSI's, allowing more members to come forward than in the past?

That would be a statistic that would  useful in determining what would benefit the soldier.

As for the article, again, it was bang on in the observations presented.

dileas

tess

There are some significant stats and details missing from all these reports.

One big question I have; are all the new cases of PTSD Afghan veterans who suffered their "stress" during their last Afghan tour, or are they/ is there: a. people being treated now for previous tour PTS that has been intensified by their recent tour, or b.people now "educated" and coming forth with previously hidden illness?

Prairie Dog said:

One big question I have; are all the new cases of PTSD Afghan veterans who suffered their "stress" during their last Afghan tour, or are they/ is there: a. people being treated now for previous tour PTS that has been intensified by their recent tour, or b.people now "educated" and coming forth with previously hidden illness?

That is a very good statement, and question.

It has been noted, within groups like OSISS, that the average time that a person comes forward for help is 7-10 years.

Are there more services for OSI's?  Are the Troops now more aware of the services provided to them?

These are stats which would be good to have.  However, we can agree that statistics like that can take much time to aquire.

dileas

tess

Prairie Dog said:

I'm thinking that it's a bit of both.

Regards

I'm with 48 on this one.  Quotations must always be taken in context, and I think this is a perfect example of why.

KingKikapu said:
I'm with 48 on this one.  Quotations must always be taken in context, and I think this is a perfect example of why.

Thirded. This is a very good article, and 48th regulator hit the nail on the head in his previous posts.

-C/D

Back