• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Public Affairs Officer ( PAO ) - merged

fraserdw said:
You would have to show the you have quite a bit of media relations study in your degrees.  Typically PAffO requires a degree in Journalism or an Arts degree with work experience in journalism sometimes makes it.  I would suggest you would need alot of both right now as we seem to be fairly heavy withthe spin boys.

It says Politics and International Relations even as potential degrees. Political Science is an "arts" degree. I think they care more about assessing your skills related to the job rather than JUST the degree you have. There's a reason it says "Master's Degree in any field". The completion of a Master's degree indicates that the person has obtained a certain skill set. Plus, the job technically only requires a Bachelor's degree so a Master's in one of the fields they listed seems like it would make the person competitive for the job.

I probably would have to start getting experience in jobs relating to government/public affairs (which is very possible since many master's programs offer CO-OP options).

fraserdw said:
I would suggest you would need alot of both right now as we seem to be pretty full up in the trade.

FTFY.  ;D

If you are looking to be competitive, the best bet may well be experience in Journalism/media or PR with a large business/government.

Of the civilians that I have seen coming in to the trade, some had Masters degrees, but it was their experience in the field more than their advanced schooling that likely got them in.

Of course, I'm not in recruiting, nor am I a career manager.  I'm just passing on my own experiences with what I have seen of my Direct Entry counterparts.

Well on the website it said that the 'equivalent' of PA officer in civilian life is foreign affairs analyst, etc. So if I worked for the government as a policy analyst or in a department relating to political affairs, would that help me out too? I think it would otherwise they would not be saying that they're looking for degrees in Politics/International Relations.

Strike, I am guessing you are a PA officer. I am entirely sure the grad degree did help those people get into the trade (it sets you apart) but probably the combination of that and work experience is what makes a candidate really competitive? I still have 2-2.5 years until i would apply for this position because I want to get my Master's degree first. Hopefully lots of spots open up by then.

Yes, it is very much the combination of the two.

As for what work experience you should get, policy and political affairs, not so much.  PAOs don't generally play in that field until they are further in their careers.  Media analysis and monitoring and PR would be a better bet.

Strike said:
Yes, it is very much the combination of the two.

As for what work experience you should get, policy and political affairs, not so much.  PAOs don't generally play in that field until they are further in their careers.  Media analysis and monitoring and PR would be a better bet.

Well I will have my Bachelor's degree by the summer time, what type of places (or government departments) do you suggest applying to for part time jobs (or full time, depending if I get into the Masters programs of my choice this year) so that I can gain experience in media analysis/PR as I do my graduate degree? Do a lot of slots open up each year for PA Officer or is like less than 200 spots per year?

Also, PR jobs differ from minimum wage jobs to normal starting salaries. I am pretty sure they don't care about 'very beginner' PR jobs as good experience?

200 per year?  Our whole trade isn't even that big!  The norm is usually only 1 or 2 direct entry a year and about the same for transfers within the CF.

As for what jobs to look for, can't really help you there.  The civvies I was on course with had done work with media in both print and television as well as worked at various embassy offices in the PR and media monitoring sections.  Some have even worked with political parties during election campaigns.

Strike said:
200 per year?  Our whole trade isn't even that big!  The norm is usually only 1 or 2 direct entry a year and about the same for transfers within the CF.

As for what jobs to look for, can't really help you there.  The civvies I was on course with had done work with media in both print and television as well as worked at various embassy offices in the PR and media monitoring sections.  Some have even worked with political parties during election campaigns.

Wow. 2 per year? I am guessing more than 2 people apply per year who have graduate degrees in the relevant fields (meaning that those with Bachelor's alone aren't very competitive)...that means that this officer position might be more competitive to get into than pilot. Do you need MANY YEARS of experience or do you know people who have gotten in with 2 years or less of experience?

I know my graduate degree will help when I apply but if I am competing for 2 spots a year, not easy.

Sometimes it can be a bit of a crap shoot.  On my own course we had 3 people with experience in the subject and one that had literally just got out of school with a BA in Poli-Sci.  Sometimes it just comes down to giving a kick-ass interview.

Really, I could give you a whole bunch of advice and it could all end up being for naught in the end depending on who's reading the files.  But having experience will certainly not hurt you.

You could also see about going the Reserve route.  They have PAOs as well.  Then it's just a matter of a bit of extra training if you ever decided to go the Reg Force route.

Strike said:
Sometimes it can be a bit of a crap shoot.  On my own course we had 3 people with experience in the subject and one that had literally just got out of school with a BA in Poli-Sci.  Sometimes it just comes down to giving a kick-*** interview.

Really, I could give you a whole bunch of advice and it could all end up being for naught in the end depending on who's reading the files.  But having experience will certainly not hurt you.

You could also see about going the Reserve route.  They have PAOs as well.  Then it's just a matter of a bit of extra training if you ever decided to go the Reg Force route.

That's a potential option (reserves). Are there more spots available each year in the Reserves option?

The chief challenge with the Reserves is that you would have to find a unit that had a vacant PAO position on the establishment.

ModlrMike said:
The chief challenge with the Reserves is that you would have to find a unit that had a vacant PAO position on the establishment.

I don't know about the rest of the country, but I believe here in 39 Brigade, there is one PAO for the entire brigade and he works out of/is part of 39 CBG HQ. I'm not aware of any regiments that have their own PAO.

CanadianTire said:
I don't know about the rest of the country, but I believe here in 39 Brigade, there is one PAO for the entire brigade and he works out of/is part of 39 CBG HQ. I'm not aware of any regiments that have their own PAO.

Perhaps, but in the Naval Reserve each unit has a PAO. Plus there's one at formation level.

I'm a PAO in the naval reserve still under training.  On my course the army types are generally in another trade or on the Primary Reserve list as individual units don't have PAO specific slot.  The naval reserve have each been given a slot for PAO but a few units still have this unfilled, or it's being filled as part of someone's secondary duties.  I VOT'd into the trade with a very non-traditional PA education.  :nod:

tree hugger said:
I'm a PAO in the naval reserve still under training.  On my course the army types are generally in another trade or on the Primary Reserve list as individual units don't have PAO specific slot.  The naval reserve have each been given a slot for PAO but a few units still have this unfilled, or it's being filled as part of someone's secondary duties.  I VOT'd into the trade with a very non-traditional PA education.  :nod:

That's great to hear. I will have the type of degree they're looking for, I just hope there's spots open up for PAO in the naval reserve when I apply in July.

I'd contact your local reserve unit now and ask if there is an opening.  Either way, applications can take a long time to process.  Better start sooner rather than later....

ModlrMike said:
Perhaps, but in the Naval Reserve each unit has a PAO. Plus there's one at formation level.

Thanks for the clarification Mike!

I will have my Bachelor's degree this July and I have applied to a few graduate programs for a Master's degree.

I'd like to become a Public Affairs Officer in the Forces...so my question is: Is there a way to join as a Public Affairs Officer and have the Forces pay for my Masters Degree and then I will owe the Forces some years of service? Something similar to the ROTP program but for Grad School?

Also, what is the best way to become a PA Officer? Is it easier to get a spot by joining Reserves first and then switching over to Reg. Force?

Well, according to many sources, PAO is pretty full.

As well, I believe that PAO only requires a Bachelor's, so there is no sense in sending you to grad school on government dime this early.

As most of us here are not recruiters, you might want to talk to one. They have the most up to date information about everything.

Cui said:
Well, according to many sources, PAO is pretty full.

As well, I believe that PAO only requires a Bachelor's, so there is no sense in sending you to grad school on government dime this early.

As most of us here are not recruiters, you might want to talk to one. They have the most up to date information about everything.

They prefer hiring those with a Master's degree. I hear that it's rare that someone gets a PA officer spot with only a bachelor's. They must have 3+ years of experience in the field to be considered with only a BA.

I posted here because I know there are a few PA officers on the board here. Thanks for the input.

Army1:  A whole bunch of information on what you seek awaits you here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/104184.0.html

The only thing we can predict:  I see a merge in your immediate future.....

Milnet.ca Staff

Back