• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Push up technique

traviss-g

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, before i start on my question I would like to say that I did use the search function with many different terms but I could not find what I was looking for, I am still honing my search skills. I am almost certain this has been asked before but what is the proper push up technique? I thought I was doing them properly and could around 20. Then I was told that millitary push ups require your hands under your shoulders so that they cannot be seen from above, I tried this but now my hands are about 1 inch apart and i can balrey do 7. Is my technique right and I ust have to keep working at it or am i doing them wrong? Also trying them the new way hurts my elbows and I can hear "cracking" noises whe I go down. I'm only 19 so i don't think this should be happening.
Thanks,
Travis

If they're an inch apart - they're too close (unless you have a really tiny chest).  While sitting, put your arms straight out in front of you, palms facing forward, wrists flexed back like you're leaning against a wall - that should be shoulder width +/- an inch or so.  That's how they should be - not crammed together.  When you come down, your shoulders should be right over top of your hands - not your breast bone.

The reason your elbows now hurt is you're doing tricep pushups - the muscles behind your arm are taking alot of the strain instead of your chest and shoulders and arms acting together.

Hope that helps.

MM

At a minimum, your thumbs should be under your shoulders, not your whole hand.

Wait are you saying that no more than my thumbs should be under my shoulders, or are you saying to make it easier I can do it with my thumbs under only but most people have their whole hand under their shoulders?

Personally, I do them with just my thumbs under my shoulders.

Here's a youtube clip on the basics. Looks to be a little bit dated but gives you the general heads up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_hUh--kGmM

cheers.

PMedMoe thanks for the link, not only did I find the technique useful but I ended up reading the entire thread and found it pretty inspiring. I also found the video on youtube very useful so thanks for that link snafu-Bar! Using my new found technique I can do about 15 so I am working on getting to 20 as my first goal though I would like to be able to do 40  before going to BMQ. Thanks everyone  :)!

Hey All!

I was just wondering if anyone here has tried training with multiple variations of the push up and what their success has been like. I can very easily accomplish 40 regular PSP push-ups, but for kicks, I attempted the "diamond" variety and have found that it really makes you "feel the burn".

I also find (if you have carpet) that the knuckle variety feels like it gives a different type of workout.

Conversely, if you have a hard surface (i.e. wood/cement floors) I find the fingertip one can really work well.

Any others that people here have tried?

Try balancing your lower legs/ankles on a balance ball. This requires your smaller stabilizer muscles in the chest and shoulders to work as well.

hotei said:
I also find (if you have carpet) that the knuckle variety feels like it gives a different type of workout.

We used to do those where ever you were at the time no matter what the surface was.  My best was when I had to pick the glass shards out although it didn't hurt as much as the gravel.  Ice was a real pain as it would melt and become real slippery.

The knuckle variety has two advantages: it toughens up the business end of your hands for martial arts, and it straightens out your wrist reducing strain on the joint. The latter can be accomplished with push-up bars or detachable chin-up bars (P90X style).

the closer your hands are together, the more triceps you use. the farther apart your hands are, the more chest and shoulders you use.

Hi,

Do the person testing you tell you how far you have to go down while doing push-ups for your physical?

Thank You

natalie23 said:
Hi,

Do the person testing you tell you how far you have to go down while doing push-ups for your physical?

Thank You

Yes.  If they don't, they most assuredly will tell you when you're doing it wrong.

They will demonstrate the proper push-up technique, and they will tell you to go lower/straighten your arms more (while counting the same number over until your form is good again).

Your upper arms have to be at least parallel to the ground at the bottom position. The lower, the better, to ensure no double counts. Some PSP staff can be real hard-a$$es about perfect form.

now if this doesnt help but i remember seein in Basic Up 2: Reloaded Episode 2 the instructor was showing the finer points of the push-up. (i just have no link)

i get that problem too, my elbows cracking, when i do them ?  i'm not worried, but in a week from today i have my pt test.  i think now im either screwed and fuck up, or i'll pass with flying colours.

Back