• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QL3 course, what are these rumours?

The next set of QL 3's are currently loaded for the fol:

Clinical Phase - 65 training days
Emergent Phase - 84 training days
IRPP / Leave / Admin - (varies between 4 and 10 training days)
Field Phase - 8 training Days
End Course Admin / Grad Parade - 2 training days

Hope that is of some help.

MC

MedCorps said:
The next set of QL 3's are currently loaded for the fol:

Emergent Phase - 84 training days

Is the PCP portion that was just extended, being shortened for the next course? I'm on the current course (1st extended to 6 months) out in Chilliwack at the Justice Institute, and our program is 125 training days, plus 5 days for licensing.

You are right... I was looking at an old copy...

It is 125 training days + 5 for licensing.

All other lengths are correct. 

Sorry for any confusion that might have caused anyone.

Cheers,

MC 

Many thanks again!  Now I just have to hope I stay loaded on the Oct 23 course.  ;D

Quick question, what about PT on the course.  How often did you do it, what facilities were available etc.

Currently, while in the clinical phase in Borden PT is 3 times a week and is mostly done by the PSP staff at the gym at the end of the day. Activities while at the gym vary based on who is the PSP staff of the day.  This PT regime has had mixed reviews by the students, and it is quite probable this regime will all be changing in the near future (as soon as October).

While at the JIBC or Ahunstic Collage PT is mostly on your own, unless the JIBC staff want to go on a mountain walk, or the NCO is feeling particularly motivated that day. 

When back at in Borden for the field phase of training the rate and intensity of PT picks up quite a bit, with many student regretting the fact that they did not keep in shape while living at a hotel while away at the civilian college.  PT on the field phase of training includes rucksack marches, runs, and circuit training.  The Field Operations Section has a British Officer as the OIC.  This person normally is a "big fan" of PT.

I hope that helps.

MC

I agree with MedCorps, while on the clinical phase PT with the PSP was a joke, and I'm glad to here that it may be changing.  While on our Field phase though, it was a good go.  Ruck Marches, and group morning runs, Officers included.  Great stuff.  Hopefully they'll be able to get those onto the clinical phase.

While we were at the JI PT was on our own time.  Mostly we played soccer a few times a week with the course that was ahead of us, and most of us ran every afternoon, there's a nice 5 km circuit around the base and down by the river and back. 

As for facilities, CFB Borden has a fully equipped recreation centre, and the JI has a fairly decent gym, and an awesome trail to run along side the river.  Not sure about Ahunstic though. 

Hi folks,

First post on here, and I'll try not to make an a$$ of myself.  Not even sure if this is the right thread for this, but it seems to go along.

I am in the recruitment phase (medical in the morning) to come in as a Med Tech.  I am a licensed PCP Supervisor working for a provincial government, and a graduate of a CMA approved PCP course.  I've spoken to a few people - each giving me different ideas as to what I'll have to take as far as training, where I'll start out as far as rank/pay, what training I might be able to bypass if any, etc.

Anyone on here have some personal experience they could share, instead of the runours I've been hearing?

Thanks!  ;)

Medic_6256,

It will all depend on what comes of your Prior Learning Assesment (PLAR).  That will decided what parts of the QL3 Crse you get to miss.  It will also go along with deciding what pay/rank you will get when you get in.

From my experience with a few buddies of mine, you'll probably get to skip JIBC and the Paramedic training and that is about all.  As per rank/pay, in all likelyhood you will start at the bottom with the rest of us.  You might get a cash incentive for being "Semi-Skilled", but I'd have to look it up.  You're best bet is to go into your local Recruiting Centre and speak not only with a Military Carrer Counselor but also with the Med Staff if they are not too busy.

Cheers and Good Luck

I agree with MedTech32...

The process for "skilled" applicants holding PCP certification, without prior military experience seems to be:

Enrolled as Private.
Qualification Level 3 (Apprentice) trade qualification course phase I (clinical) and III (field).

If your PLA is successful, and based on the limited amount of information you have provided I suspect it will be, you will be exempt from Phase II which is the 125+5 days at the JIBC or Ahunstic College.

Then it is posted off to your first posting with the rest of the folks...  It may seem like we are not valuing your prior experience, but it really does make sense at the end of the day.  Should they give you a semi-skilled bonus, or move you up on the pay grid for Privates?  That is a question far above my pay-grade. 

Now... I have nothing to do with the official PLA process, or recruiting, so I would ask the nice folks at the Canadian Forces Recruiting Centre.  They will help get things sorted out for you.  Just passing along my observations. 

Good luck, and I hope to see you badged someday. 

Cheers,

MC 

Thanks for the replies, folks.  I'm not adverse to retaking the book stuff if required, but I really don't see the point if it's going to be the same thing I already took (and paid for).  One can NEVER have enough clinic and field practice though, and I really look forward to that if that's the way the guys upstairs want me to do it.  I figure I'm getting paid anyway, and if they want me on as a third for a while, I'm all for it  :D

Incidentally, I got past the interview today, and I need to get some paperwork done by my family Doc.  Things are looking good.  After that, I guess I'm going to sit back with a big bowl of  :pop: and wait.

Since people are discussing possibilities of recruitment allowances, this seems pertinent

CANFORGEN 146/08 CMP 059/08 061550Z AUG 08
RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES FOR UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATIONS
UNCLASSIFIED

REFS: A. CANFORGEN 164/06 CMP 079 031116Z NOV 06
B. CBI 205.525
C. TB DECISION NO 832770, 22 JUN 06
D. CDS LETTER DATED 28 JUL 08

THIS CANFORGEN SUPERCEDES REF A AND CONTAINS THE REVISED LIST OF OCCUPATIONS FOR WHICH RECRUITMENT ALLOWANCES MAY BE PROVIDED TO ELIGIBLE APPLICANTS ENTERING THE REGULAR FORCE.

THE ALLOWANCES AND CONDITIONS OF ENTITLEMENT ARE AS SET OUT IN REF B, WHICH IS AMENDED PURSUANT TO REF C

THE CURRENT UNDERSTRENGTH MILITARY OCCUPATION LIST (REF D), EFFECTIVE 1 AUGUST 08, INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING OCCUPATIONS:

NE TECH (A) 00116

NE TECH (C) 00117

NE TECH (T) 00118

SIG OP 00329

MRAD TECH 00153

BE TECH 00155

INT OP 00099

SONAR OP 00324

VEH TECH 00129

MLAB 00152

LCIS TECH 00110

AC OP 00337

ATIS TECH 00109

AVN TECH 00135

EGS TECH 00303

NAV COMM 00299

NES OP 00115

NW TECH 00017

DENT TECH 00335

MED TECH 00334

MED 00196

PHARM 00194

NOTE THAT MERE POSSESSION OF A CERTAIN TRADE OR ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT AN APPLICANT MEETS CF REQUIREMENTS. EACH APPLICANT FILE WILL BE REVIEWED TO DETERMINE CURRENCY OF THE PERTINENT SKILLS OR ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS AND COMPETENCY.

THE CANADIAN FORCES LEADERSHIP AND RECRUIT SCHOOL (CFLRS) WILL BE THE PRINCIPAL PAYMENT AUTHORITY FOR NCM ALLOWANCES. HOWEVER, A MEMBER S INITIAL GAINING UNIT WILL BE THE PAYMENT AUTHORITY FOR THOSE WHO BYPASS CFLRS. DETAILED ADMIN AND FINANCIAL PROCEDURES ARE CONTAINED IN CCPS ADVISORIES.

OPI IS LCOL DJ NICHOLSON, DPPD, (613) 995-1996

SIGNED MY MGEN SEMIANIW, CMP

To check your eligibility and $ amounts for the allowance look up the CBI

Quick question, While out in BC (for the anglos) are you on TD, or have some sort of allowance, since you are living in a hotel?

Hatchet Man said:
Quick question, While out in BC (for the anglos) are you on TD, or have some sort of allowance, since you are living in a hotel?

Like Prairie Dog said, we are on TD while out in BC. We're in a hotel as of right now but the JI has purchased an old quarters building out at ASU Chilliwack, and are in the process of having that renovated, so all future courses can live back at the ASU. From what we've been told, the goal is to have all new courses starting in the new year, living in those renovated quarters.

Well, I'm no longer on the October 23 course.  Seems I've been moved to February.  I was told it had something to do with a course cancellation, moving some candidates from that course onto the one I was scheduled for so I had to give way.  Fair enough.  But then I was also informed that some students who had did not pass/complete Phase 1, were getting a second stab at it - ahead of many of us who've been waiting around for months.  A certain saying comes to mind... something about chickens, eggs, counting...  ;D

I guess you can't be a true medic without having to wait a ridiculous amount of time on PRETC.  Oh well, tastings here I come!

Anyone else bumped around?

EDS334,

Yeah... it is shit... but unfortunately part of the game.  Sadly, the School and barely keep up with the QL3 output it is maintaining and cannot just "add" more QL3 serials due to the lack of staff.  People who fail off phase I (and are retained in the Med Tech MOC vs. being sent elsewhere) often get second crack at things before someone who as not yet attempted QL3 phase I comes into the fold. 

In the mean while... try to stay positive, physically fit, off defaulters parade, and keep doing pre-QL3 medical reading until your time comes.  Just think, by the time you come to the School you will be well read. 

Cheers,

MC

MedCorps said:
EDS334,

Yeah... it is crap... but unfortunately part of the game.  Sadly, the School and barely keep up with the QL3 output it is maintaining and cannot just "add" more QL3 serials due to the lack of staff.  People who fail off phase I (and are retained in the Med Tech MOC vs. being sent elsewhere) often get second crack at things before someone who as not yet attempted QL3 phase I comes into the fold.   

In the mean while... try to stay positive, physically fit, off defaulters parade, and keep doing pre-QL3 medical reading until your time comes.  Just think, by the time you come to the School you will be well read. 

Cheers,

MC

Thanks MC!  While I wouldn't exactly call what's happening now, a legit second chance offering by CFMSS to those that didn't quite make the grade the first time, I can understand that there are quite a few pay grades between me and those that make those decisions.  I've got no qualms with people being given second chances before a COT comes into play, I would have just thought that the school puts them at the end of the waiting list (like everyone else), instead of bumping them onto the next available course.  All I can hope for is that those that are getting a second chance better make the most of it, and validate their instructors confidence in them.  Oh well, I've got a few friends on that course, and I'm happy for them.

That being said, it's that time of the night, time to crack open the books.  MC, are there any resources on the DIN that I should try and get a hold of?  I've got no direct access to it, and I don't really care to make a fuss unless I'm missing out on something.

EDS334 said:
...........  I've got no qualms with people being given second chances before a COT comes into play, I would have just thought that the school puts them at the end of the waiting list (like everyone else), instead of bumping them onto the next available course. 

I don't understand your logic.  These people have been in longer than you.  They may have failed for reasons that were not academically related; ie. Medical Recourse, Compassionate, or a myriad of other reasons.  Next question:  How long should they wait?  Until after your course is done, or the next one, or the next one, or when?

Suppose you got on this next Crse and half way through one of your parents became ill and you had to go home for compassionate reasons.  You couldn't complete the Crse.  Should we have you get on the next Crse, or perhaps wait two or three years when we have enough "Recourses" to run a special Crse just for them?

George Wallace said:
I don't understand your logic.  These people have been in longer than you.  They may have failed for reasons that were not academically related; ie. Medical Recourse, Compassionate, or a myriad of other reasons.  Next question:  How long should they wait?  Until after your course is done, or the next one, or the next one, or when?

Suppose you got on this next Crse and half way through one of your parents became ill and you had to go home for compassionate reasons.  You couldn't complete the Crse.  Should we have you get on the next Crse, or perhaps wait two or three years when we have enough "Recourses" to run a special Crse just for them?

I retract my gripe, and insert a wet weather boot in my mouth to take it's place.

Longevity of service has its merits.  I know I don't have the technical terminology to go hand in hand with this conversation, so I'm wary not to step out of my lane (again and again), but seeing as this is a trade in need of pers, I would have imagined that any strikes against a candidate would have them placed back to the end of the pre requisites complete list (along with all those who've just come of their SQ, as I understand it that's the only pre-req for Med Techs).  If it was a medical recourse (ie. injury) then it gives them that much more time to reach their 100% (and shoot for higher even).  If it was compassionate, then it was their choice to interrupt their training, but giving into reason it could be said that they be given priority over the rest of us mugs.  That's where my whole "pay grades" comment came into play, and I wish I had elaborated just a little further to suggest that while my situation does suck, I understand the system, accept it, and am shockingly ok with it.

I am now humbly trying to tip toe off this thin ice.  ;D

Back