• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

QOR Airborne Coy & proposed Airborne Battalion

Firing basic charges was part of my AIC course, and, I was told, one had to complete 2 'exercises' with the CAR (Involving jumps of course) to earn your white wings in the QOR. Of course, this was 20 years ago.
"The man with a 2, is a friend to you"

though I am still skeptical that  Infantry types are permitted to fire charges (note - I am not trying to slag infantry - did many years as an infanteer before seeing the light).

Geo, basic pioneer, at least up to a couple of years ago and advanced pioneer as well. Since losing our Pioneer platoons we seem to have lost these courses also.

To reiterate what others have said, there has not been a "white wing" course (AIC) since the disbandment of the Airborne Regiment. In order to qualify to wear white wings one must be in a para position, end of story!

2CDO and all...
I understand and agree that basic demo course qualifies all arms trades to fire charges - my point was that this is not an "at large" qualification and capability in the CF at this time.

Pioneers had a lot of the basic Sapper capabilities - to the chagrin of all.... they are no more......

we will remember them!

Chimo!

I know I have posted on this topic before, but since it has come up again here goes...
1- The QOR was tasked to provide a platoon to augment 3CDO
2- That tasking was later increased to a Company size augmentation to 3CDO
3- After the disbandment of the Cdn AB Rgt., the unit was tasked to provide 66 jumpers to the CPC
4- The potential for future similar taskings with CSOR or the new "Airborne Battalion" has not been discussed. Speculate away!

5- The QOR Para Coy DOES do what we refer to as "White Wings Training", and Razic is pretty much correct.  This training program is unit specific, borrowing from the old AIC and current 3RCR Para Coy training standards. First of all, the jumper must hold a hard para posn with the QOR.The checklist maintained by the unit that must be completed before that Jumper can qualify for his white wings WITH THE QOR is as follows;
- Para PT test - EPL and BFT
- Basic Swim Test
- Annual Para Refresher
- Rigging of Standard and Non-Standard Loads
- DZ Drills
- Exercise Jump
- TOET's (9mm Pistol / C7 / C7 PWT3 / C9 / C6 / 84mm / 60mm / M72 / M203)
- Unarmed Combat
- Navigation refresher
- Para related First-Aid
- Comms Refresher
- Basic Demolitions ( since its availability is almost nil now, we usually get a familiarization from the sappers instead and are signed off )
- Para History
- Minimum Jump Attendance (75%)

As you can plainly see, the unit takes the wearing of white wings and the maroon beret very seriously. Whereas the 3 Reg Force Para Coys present white wings ( in absence of a current version of the AIC ) to their jumpers in hard para posns ( as commented on by Go! ), because our Para Coy is a shadow Coy and not a primary tasking, and also due to the nature of our current tasking with CPC, these kind of pre-requisites are necessary in order for us to continue to maintain our Airborne skills and  capability ( the difference already illustrated in this thread ). We use the white wings training as a way to maintain the Airborne skills and not slide into the "cas para" only role. It is for this purpose that the QOR uphold this standard for our members that want to wear the white wings of a Paratrooper.

I can not re-emphasize this enough, talk about what you KNOW. If you are not a member of the unit or sub unit in question, you probably ought not to comment on what they do and do not do. Better to just ask. I would not dream of commenting on how 3VP Para Coy does its business, regardless of what I might have heard.

Most of what you list is simply normal refresher training conducted by most reserve units.  A more definitive authority on parachute training and qualification badges is LFCO 22-2:

The Parachute Badge with white maple leaf will be worn by parachutists who have received Paratroop Allowance in a Designated Parachute Position:

(1) The Canadian Parachute Centre;

(2) A Light Infantry Battalion, employed in a designated parachute position;

(3) Reserve Force parachute  units or sub units, in a designated parachute position; or

(4) A designated parachute staff position.

Sounds like you get to wear white wings once you are in a parachute designated position at CPC, within a Para Coy or within the QOR.

FORFEITURE OF THE PARACHUTE BADGE

15. In accordance with the Reference B a qualified parachutist will normally forfeit the parachute badge when:

a. after qualification on a CF approved parachutist course, the member refuses to serve as a parachutist in a designated parachute unit or position;

b. the member requests to discontinue parachuting before completing one year of satisfactory parachute duty in a designated parachute position; and

c. the member refuses to make a parachute descent at any time while serving in a designated parachute position for which he or she is entitled to draw parachute allowance.

No "white wings training" mentioned as being required to qualify for the badge.

Gunner said:
No "white wings training" mentioned as being required to qualify for the badge.

What I am getting from his posting is that he is saying is that the unit itself is holding soldiers to a higher standard than the cited references in order for them to qualify to wear the white wings within the QOR.

BINGO! You nailed it. That is what I was trying to communicate with the bold and italic "this training is unit specific"

Thanks for that Michael, but we have an army standard, not individual unt standards.  

The QOR should be using the jump role as a key attraction and retention issue, but until someone shows me differently, it has no role to provide nor train as an "airborne coy".  

We will see what happens with CF transformation and the potenial stand up of Reserve SOF capabilities.  

Nothing has been mentioned officially, but as the only reserve unit with a current Para tasking, we are of course keeping our fingers crossed for a role in any expansion of the Parachute capabilities in the CF. I know that it will certainly be a topic of discussion at the upcoming RCMI Airborne luncheon next month. Watch and Shoot.

Back