• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Queens Own Rifles of Canada - Question

StormTrooper

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I have enlisted almost 2 years ago, and still currently waiting for my files to come back from the background checking agency. I applied for the QOR after being told that it is the only airborne unit in Canada. One of my friends at school has also served with the QOR and he told me that you have to sign up for the special airborne unit after completing some other training course. He wasn't really clear about it, and I didn't bother to ask him questions at the time. But to make a long question short, I was just wondering what I have to do to join the airborne unit. If anybody has more information on this, please do share. Thanks in advance.

The QOR is the only RESERVE regiment with a jump company.  You finish your basic training same as everyone else, then you can request to be put on the jump course.  If you're allowed to take the course, and if you're succesfull on it, you get your jump-wing and maroon beret.  Keep in mind that not all members of the QOR are quailified jumpers, so you shouldn't expect to just get it.  The PT requirememnts to even apply for the course are higher than the army standard, and the course itself is much more difficult than what you'll go through during basic training.

I'm not a member of the Air Cell, but my understanding from what I've been told from members of the unit (and someone with their maroon can correct me if I am wrong), is that you will need the following to get your maroon beret.

You will need to be MOC qualified before taking the CF Basic Para course, which means you'll need to be in roughly a year before you can apply for the course.

You will then need to do the CF Basic Para course, which is a rigorous 3 week course held at the Canadian Parachute Centre at CFB Trenton, Ontario... (to be selected for the course you must first pass the pre-selection testing done at the home unit, and there are many applicants, and usually not enough spots for all those applying, its very competitive, so keep your fitness level up)

Once completing the course, you can apply for your maroon when you get back to unit, you will have to complete the EPL (Expected? Performance Level) fitness test, do refresher training, and there is some requirements for white wings, which someone else can fill you on as I do not know the specifics of that since I'm not a jumper.

If I've made any errors, I'm sure someone can point them out, but that is an accurate outline of what is required, from what I've gotten directly from the horse's mouth. (MBRS of the Coy)

Good luck finishing the recruiting process, it will pay off in the end. :)

MikeM is correct. The only other way to jump with the unit is to join having already earned your wings by taking your para course as a cadet. Even then, you are not allowed to wear maroon, not eligible to earn white wings, and not a member of the Para Coy until you are fully MOC qualified. Also, you are last on the list for spots on a jump so any Para Coy jumper can bump you out if they decide to go. Still better than being a LEG if you ask me though.  ;D

Back