• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

question about CF paying for college courses

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding an answer for someone.

Will the CF pay for a full time members college? Either night courses or some kind of distance learning?

I know members can apply for OPME university credits for free and can get it sent to them over email but can members take night classes at a local college? Do colleges offer the same type of distance learning stuff that OPME courses do?

Also beyond OPME courses will the CF pay for a members university if they do not want to attend RMC and become an officer?

[ I don't have access to the DWAN anymore to search on there ]

Absolutely - you just have to contribute your own time (there is also time available for academic purposes but it's not a right).  The learning also has to be considered as a benefit to the CF, and justified by you, but any academic type coursing seems to be fine.  The process is via Individual Learning Plan and there ought to be quite a bit of info on this site.

A point of order is that you won't be paid costs up front, but will be reimbursed.  And there are some online-centered universities, like Athabasca and Thompson Rivers.  University of Manitoba has a flexible program designed for CF members, but the subject matter is limited.  RMC does pretty comprehensive distance learning, too.  There should be an education office colocated with your BPSO that could help you out more than me, also try looking around http://www.cda.forces.gc.ca/index-eng.asp

The reimbursement is different for reg and reserve forces.  There are links for both here: http://www.cda-acd.forces.gc.ca/j3ops/er/index-eng.asp

Be sure that you speak to your base PSO staff before you sign up for any courses. You will most likely have to get your ILP approved in advance in order to be reimbursed. It's not a difficult process, but if you get things backwards, you could be denied reimbursement. The PSO staff will tell you exactly what needs to be done, as well as the order to do it. Words to live by!  ;)

Back