• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about joining as a Medic

• Thread starter Thread starter desjardins
  • Start date Start date
Okay neat, I would just prefer to do somthing that no-one really wants to do, so if there are tons of people wanting to be medics I am going to find somthing else.

DanielleAnne said:
Okay neat, I would just prefer to do somthing that no-one really wants to do, so if there are tons of people wanting to be medics I am going to find somthing else.

Why?

Did it occur to you that no-one wants to do those things for a reason?

If you want to be a medic, why not go for it? Who cares if theres other people applying for it?

If you want to go for a job that not many people apply for, go fridge tech or something.

According to my last career brief, we are at least 200 Junior Med Techs short - so if you're interested, ask for it.

MM

Gee, let me check if we are short....

(looking around, seeing empty hallways, because everyone is gone, going, or on leave from being on tour)
:o

Yep, we're short.

But that doesn't mean we want anyone with a pulse. There is already enough Junk....a brain, a good work ethic, and physically fit is quite essential as well.

You see I am the type of person who would rather have any job than no job at all. I used to work in a nursing home wiping old people butts. I really didn't want to go into a trade that I would never get called for.

Armymedic said:
But that doesn't mean we want anyone with a pulse. There is already enough Junk

So very well said!!!!!!!!!!

I have brains at least if I can find where I left them, work ethic I have that, muscles well......... :warstory:

I think it's best that you go in a occupation that you want, not one that no one wants. If you end up to hate the occupation you signed up for, your going to have a miserable time till you can switch occupations. But if  you still want to go for one that the CF is in need for, I heard there in major need for combate arms traits, like the infantry would be one of the biggest ones there in need for (according the the medic i talked to yesterday).

Straight from the recruiting site..

http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/home/index_e.aspx

Hot Jobs:

Learn more about these specialized, in-demand professions:

Pilot
Family Physician
Nursing
Warship Navigator
Naval Electronics
Signal Operator
Naval Engineer

I would say going medic would be a smart way to go.  The medical branch is short people, and it is my understanding that med-As are getting trained to civi standards (PCP I think) so that means you could spend a few years or a career in the medics and if you want to move on you have an 'out' games, ie civi EMS.  I did it the other way going infantry then moving over to the medical branch after I realized that there are very limited options for an ex-infantry guy in the civilian world.

That is my two cents worth anyway:  Go medic, see if you like it, stay in or get out and move on to civi EMS.

herseyjh said:
I would say going medic would be a smart way to go.  The medical branch is short people, and it is my understanding that med-As are getting trained to civi standards (PCP I think) so that means you could spend a few years or a career in the medics and if you want to move on you have an 'out' games, ie civi EMS. 

Try that and let me know how it works for you. It is a civilian equivalency, NOT a civilian qualification.

If you want to be a civilian paramedic, do not join the Regular Force. It is not the same.

I just know that I want to work hard. I really couldn't care if I had to be a fridge tech. I had read that there weren't very many medic jobs, but if there is whoooo I am meeting with a recruiter on March 9th any suggestions?

I have searched and not being the brightest bulb in the box am forced to ask about the 2nd portion of the Medic training (either in BC or Montral). Does this take place immediately after the intial MOC course of 16 weeks or is it more like a QL5 course, taken after a period of OJT?

Thanks,
potato

Under the Combat Service Support board, there's a whole sub-board of Medical types, including the answer to those questions, if I recall.

Anglo candidates for now take their PCP in Chilliwack, BC.  Franco students in Quebec.  I don't believe there's an OJT requirment for your PCP.  It's part of the initial MOC course, in addition to the time spent in Borden.

spud said:
the 2nd portion of the Medic training (either in BC or Montral). Does this take place immediately after the intial MOC course of 16 weeks or is it more like a QL5 course, taken after a period of OJT?

Thanks,
potato

DF

Did this topic get moved, or was I on crack last night?!?

I would recommend anyone wanting to go medic to give it all you got.  I did 3-1/2 years as one and feel I am a better person for doing it.  There were many ups and downs.... but nothing compares to feeling you get when you help someone in need.  Very rewarding experience!

If you don't mind, what are some of the downs?  And why did you get out?  Where are you now?

And i'm having trouble finding this...can anyone confirm if the Reg Force trade of Med Tech is a 3 year contract, or 6?

Hey CosmoK. 

I think one of the major downs is doing your time as a QL3 in the cage (Fd Amb) and waiting to get on your QL5 course.  After just under 3 years as a medic (not including time for basic and my medical training in Borden) I was still not slated for mine.  When you start out (most likely in a Fd Amb) there is a whole lot of vehicle maintenance and slinging canvas.  This was of course during my period (2000-2003) and I can't state truefully what things are like now.  My only saving grace while in the cage was the field exercises.  It is in the field that you get a good chance to challenge yourself and put your skills to use.   

The amount of pain that you endure is totally up to you.  If you work hard and keep on your studies (and have a little luck on your side) you will be presented with more appealing opportunities.  After your time in the cage you could get lucky enough to be moved to an ambulance company (AMB COY) were you will have ample opportunities for taskings.  You get paired with a QL5 and finally get to do what you were trained to do.  You can also be placed in a BMS (clinic) to further your skills. 

Eventually you will be sent on your QL5 course and come back fully deployable.  My advice to you is to have patience and work hard and you will eventually get what you want.

I got out because military life was hard on my family.  I always told everyone afterwards that the military is an amazing life for a single guy.....  It can be very taxing on a family and you really need a strong partner by your side to weather it.  I was also impatient with the speed at which my training was progressing (once again... I don't know what things are like now) and needed to be challenged more.  Without the family stresses.... I would have been able to overcome the boredom part of it. 

Where am I now................  I attempted to use my training as an equivalency in Ontario and was told it wouldn't be accepted (My training was to BC's JI standard as opposed to the CMA standard... which I think is being taught now).  I came back to Alberta and now am working as the head of my company's Quality and Safety program for all of our branches in Alberta.  It was my military and medical background that landed me this job so my time spent in the service was as valuable as ever.  After you join you never know where life is going to take you... even after you get out.  All I can say is no matter what... you are not wasting your time by trying. 

As to your last question... When I signed up it was 3 years... From what I have heard due to the attrition rate in this particular field they have changed it to 6 years.

Hope this answers your questions CosmoK.

Later

Back