• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question about OT to Musician

NDC

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, I missed the deadline to apply this year for Musician (it was in June) and also I just needed time to think of some things, mainly if I want to try that or if I wanted to take RMS clerk.

My dream job would be Musician, but I would love to do RMS clerk also just because it would be nice to get experience to give me a "backup plan" in life, and I think I would enjoy it, while being able to most likely do Reserve musician if I get placed in a good city.

But applying as a Musician is a long process, basically you have to send a demo CD in for June 30th, then they call you back in September for an audition, and then you have to pass that (which is hard).. So by the time you even hear back about if you made it, Your other choices would be all filled up (like RMS clerk, which is usually gone by june) so Its a tough decision, to try my chances at Musician and possibly not make it at all and have to wait another year, or to just do RMS clerk now (when it first opens in 2011) and have a nice career for at least 5 years, then I can apply for Musician after that.

So anyways my main question, If I did join RMS Clerk next year, in 2-3 years would I be able to at least apply for Musician and do the auditions/etc, and if I passed all that, possibly transfer to that? Like I said, Im sure I will enjoy RMS Clerk, but Musician is my dream gig if I could get in, so im just wondering if thats possible at all, it would give me 5 years to apply and see if I can get past the audition process, which im sure will be very difficult so I may not make it the first year or so (depending on how many slots they have, last year was only like 1-2 for my instrument in all of canada so difficult!)

Any info on it would be appreciated.

I posted this in the Occupational Transfer forum, but I wasnt sure if that was for adminstation (as the forum is labeled) or for inquiries, so I apologize that I do not know where to post there. I figured this is the most "general" forum about information on joining the military, so I will post it here.
~~

Hi, I missed the deadline to apply this year for Musician (it was in June) and also I just needed time to think of some things, mainly if I want to try that or if I wanted to take RMS clerk.

My dream job would be Musician, but I would love to do RMS clerk also just because it would be nice to get experience to give me a "backup plan" in life, and I think I would enjoy it, while being able to most likely do Reserve musician if I get placed in a good city.

But applying as a Musician is a long process, basically you have to send a demo CD in for June 30th, then they call you back in September for an audition, and then you have to pass that (which is hard).. So by the time you even hear back about if you made it, Your other choices would be all filled up (like RMS clerk, which is usually gone by june) so Its a tough decision, to try my chances at Musician and possibly not make it at all and have to wait another year, or to just do RMS clerk now (when it first opens in 2011) and have a nice career for at least 5 years, then I can apply for Musician after that.

So anyways my main question, If I did join RMS Clerk next year, in 2-3 years would I be able to at least apply for Musician and do the auditions/etc, and if I passed all that, possibly transfer to that? Like I said, Im sure I will enjoy RMS Clerk, but Musician is my dream gig if I could get in, so im just wondering if thats possible at all, it would give me afew years to apply and see if I can get past the audition process, which im sure will be very difficult so I may not make it the first year or so (depending on how many slots they have, last year was only like 1-2 for my instrument in all of canada so difficult!)

Just to be clear, I would never do an Occupation Transfer for anything else other than Musician, and I figure its a bit different than other occupations because it requires a lengthy audition process, and it is VERY hard to get information on Musicians (I went to the recruiting centre and they couldnt give me much info on it, esp since theres no reserve music in my city)

Any info on it would be appreciated.

I understand its a hard occupation to get info on (musician), which is why I was hoping maybe there was a musician on these boards who could respond/maybe I could exchange some messages with, just to get some info on it. When you goto the recruiting centre, Musician is a trade not many people really know anything about. So its hard =[

A more generalized question then; How long do you have to be in the military to apply for an OT?? Can you submit for the same OT a year after you tried before??

You need to be at least QL3 qualified to apply for an OT.

Back