• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question on unit Pt gear

poko

Inactive
Reaction score
Iam with a unit and they force us to buy the unit pt gear but we did not have a initial issue. Do anybody know if there a refarence regarding that. I was saying if there is no stock code on it i dont have to wear it unless the first one is free. But who iam i to go against a RMS.

I'm not sure of the 'official' rules, but IMHO you should buck up and get your PT gear.

RMC doesn't give initial issue of our PT gear or tracksuit but we are expected to buy both. We can get in trouble if we do not wear RMC PT gear to PT class, etc. I imagine this would be the case at other units, too.

haha i dare ya to not wear your units PT while on PT, but here in the world of the infantry, the RSM would be all over you in a heart beat , but not before the sect comd's and WO's get to you first!

Well iam not that stupid to not wear it. But when we did basic we where issue pt kit and that should be the only pt kit we should be waering if not issue a initial one. It the same thing as if they told you when it was time to switch from old greed to cadpat you had to buy your own combat. Because it is work related they should be providing it.

Pt gear is considered Optional equipment in our dress regs. This would be granted by a branch or unit as an identifier. Technically you are not allowed to be made to buy it and the money to buy it can NOT come from public funds. This leaves your Kit Shop to pay the tab. If you are in long enough you know full well which way the money goes when it comes to a kit shop.
Until you become a CO or someone with enough influence you'll have to grin and bare it.

It's in your best interest to go and buy your PT gear and get it over and done with.....

...or deal with Snr NCOs and Officers who will ask ad nauseum until the cows come home.

Besides...have some pride in your unit and support your kit shop.

Regards

BTW...the RCD do not have an initial issue either, we spring for it ourself.

Franko said:
It's in your best interest to go and buy your PT gear and get it over and done with.....

...or deal with Snr NCOs and Officers who will ask ad nauseum until the cows come home.

Besides...have some pride in your unit and support your kit shop.

Regards

BTW...the RCD do not have an initial issue either, we spring for it ourself.

When I joined the Marines, the first week we had a "Cash Pay Parade".  We were all given a 50 Pound advance.  Then we were given a list of recommended purchases that we were told were optional.  We were then marched over to the NAAFI where the NAAFI agent accompanied by the CTCRM RSM took 49 pounds of the advance and handed us each sacks of the recommended purchase items.  No one thought or had the courage or stupidity to tell the RSM that they didn't want the items.  Among the items were CTCRM PT kit.  It still works that way.

poko said:
Well iam not that stupid to not wear it. But when we did basic we where issue pt kit and that should be the only pt kit we should be waering if not issue a initial one. It the same thing as if they told you when it was time to switch from old greed to cadpat you had to buy your own combat. Because it is work related they should be providing it.

What about Mess dues? What about PT runners? Do you wear those grey cripplers, or do you have a good pair of Nikes? What about a watch? If you think PT kit is a cost you don't want to incur, wait till you're a Sgt and you have to buy Mess Kit.

If you refuse to buy PT kit, it's entirely possible your entire Section/Platoon/Coy/Unit will be required to wear what YOU wear, which I suspect would be grey PT shorts, wool socks (too stubborn to buy white ones), issue PT shirt, and the afore-mentioned 'grey cripplers'. If you don't know what they are, keep whining and that's all you be allowed to wear on PT.

one thing i realize in the infantry is that if you want comfort you might actually have to pay for it! in regards to  the "nike running shoes"

Sounds to me like you're cheap, and expect everything in life to be given to you free of charge.  ::)

Franko said it best:

Have some pride in your unit and support your kitshop.

Thats a much better alternative to wearing the original issued PT gear...ugh.

poko: This isn't a "job", so stop talking like you belong to a union. Pride in your unit is important, and things like t-shirts, ball caps, and unit PT gear are are a way of showing pride and identity. Get with it.

Oh, and just BTW, what does your motto mean:

When you kill for money there are no rules

Can you explain why you would post that? Just a joke, right?

Cheers

Well, if your making the young soldiers by PT gear, you had might as well sell them everything else under sun. We could always back to the old system circa 1800's, eg., boot polish for the year, and drain the pockets of young soldiers forcing them to take on secondary jobs working for pizza delivery.

I beleive that the young soldiers do not need regimental PT gear, it is a nice to have for say MCpl and above and you do need pride in your regiment, but that is brought through by excellence in service. Unless, the unit pays for the gear themselves.

SHARP WO

SHARP WO said:
Well, if your making the young soldiers by PT gear, you had might as well sell them everything else under sun. We could always back to the old system circa 1800's, eg., boot polish for the year, and drain the pockets of young soldiers forcing them to take on secondary jobs working for pizza delivery.

I beleive that the young soldiers do not need regimental PT gear, it is a nice to have for say MCpl and above and you do need pride in your regiment, but that is brought through by excellence in service. Unless, the unit pays for the gear themselves.

SHARP WO

Not very sharp for a WO to be saying trash like this.  Besides, Poko, you are given a Clothing Upkeep Allowance every month and it is Tax Free.  It is for clothing purchases and the upkeep of your clothing.......not an extra slush fund to buy beer with (or anything else).

GW

It shows that you have pride in your unit when you extend yourself to purchase PT kit.  Being a soldier is not a 9 - 5 job, it is a way of life for special people.  People would extend themselves by going into harms way.  It is  especially for young soldiers, that is the Privates.  Your unit is your family.

Is 8 bucks too much to spend for a T-shirt?  That is all that is mandatory in the RCD  It will last you for years.  The other kit like a shell jacket and wind pants are nice but not mandatory, however they are alot more expensive at a sporting goods store and Athletes world is never going to share its profits with you at a dinner or a sports day so why give them the money.

Well there was my old T-Shirt.
I got kicked out of Scouts for eating brownies.

big bad john said:
It shows that you have pride in your unit when you extend yourself to purchase PT kit.   Being a soldier is not a 9 - 5 job, it is a way of life for special people.   People would extend themselves by going into harms way.   It is   especially for young soldiers, that is the Privates.   Your unit is your family.

Thank you Sir for putting it into plain English. :salute:
Never my flipent remark. ;) ;D

Back