• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Question regarding relocating as an Infantry Soldier

DnentonSg

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all

So I know that following BMQ and your trade training (DP1 I believe?) as an NCM infantry soldier you will be posted to your regiment/battalion where you will move into your house and establish a residence. I also am well aware that relocation is a common part of being in the armed forces, however I am curious as to how it works in relation to being an Infantry Soldier. Can you expect to be moved to different battalions, or even regiments? Is there any chance for being posted somewhere other than were the three regiments are established? Anyone with some insight or personal experience who would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time

Ok here goes;

1. Can you expect to be moved to different battalions, or even regiments?

As a cpl/private it is very unlikely you would get a posting, beyond your initial one to battalion, you didn't ask for but it's not impossible.  You will not get posted to regiment if you can't speak the language ie. the Vandoos are a French speaking unit.  As a cpl/private you don't possess the leadership qualifications or experience thus it's unlikely for you to posted to another battalion let alone regiment to fill key positions.  There are times where cpl/ptes are posted temporarily for a tasking like high readiness etc and sometimes the gaining unit will allow those members to submit memos to stay on a permanent basis.  Keep in mind that all has to do with the Army telling you you're getting posted.  That doesn't mean you can request  posting which are filled based the armies needs, your ability to fill the position and whether or not the money is there to move you.

2. Is there any chance for being posted somewhere other than were the three regiments are established?

Absolutely.  The battalions have to post guys to the schools, Wainwright, Meaford, Valcartier, and Gagetown, to run infantry DP1s, PLQs etc.  Also infanteers get posted to St. Jean Quebec to teach BMQs.  Now you likely wouldn't get a posting like that until you hit MCpl or Sgt as you need to be qualified to teach.  Then there are postings to recruiting centres, reserve units and a few others but the main ones outside the battalions are at the schools.

Back