• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about armoured soilders.

SuperBeast

Inactive
Reaction score
I was on surfing the job searcher on the Canadian Forces website. The webpage says quote "Armoured Soldiers are trained to fight as members of the Combat Arms team, which also includes the Infantry, the Artillery and the Combat Engineers".

If I apply for an amoured solider position does this mean that I can end up being in the infantry, or with the combat engineers? I am really interested in the armoured soilder more then the others. When deployed are you assigned to a certain vehicle? I.E the Reece? Or you get in what ever your told to. I am just wondering because I really enjoy driving, and operating big machines. It may sound stupid, but I just want to know what I am getting myself into.

Thanks guys!  :cdn:

welcome to the forums!
your best bet would be to contact a recruiter. (www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca)
also, we have quite an extensive FAQ (just mouse over the information button at the top of the page)
and last but not least... the search function.
Happy Reading

The webpage says quote "Armoured Soldiers are trained to fight as members of the Combat Arms team, which also includes the Infantry, the Artillery and the Combat Engineers"

What this means is that you will be fighting along side these trades providing communications, intelligence, fire support etc.  Not that you will end up as either of those trades.

Did you watch the video that is done with the Corporal from the Royal Canadian Dragoons on the Recruiting website?

As stated, if you are Armoured, you don't end up "being in" the infantry, artillery or engineers.  It does mean you will work with/train with and make friends with some of the folks in those trades.

You will be trained to drive whatever vehicles your unit uses, which could be Coyote (recce) Leopard (tank) and the various support/admin vehicles used as well.  Fairly safe to say you will be trained and qualified to drive an assortment of vehicles as a Crewmen (Armoured Soldier).  Yes you could be told to get into any vehicle to drive it that you were qualified on...

The video on the Recruiting site is pretty decent...

As an armoured soldier you will have the core skills and proficiencies of an infantryman and yes, you can deploy as one while still wearing the chapeau noir.

Superbeast,

Just to add to the other posts, the Combat Arms refers to the Armour, Infantry, Artillery and the Combat Engineers.  If you do join as an armoured crewman you should spend the majority of your time in an Armoured Regiment doing any number of jobs.  Your first few years should see you driving Coyotes, Leopards, Bisons, HLVWs or other such vehicles as your unit has.  Changes happen so fast these days I cannot give you any promises on what vehicle you would be on!

You may (emphasis on may) be employed as a crewman within the units of other branches.  There are crewmen currently serving as LAV crews for units other than Armoured ones on operations.  They are still acting as a vehicle crew. 

If you like driving and big machines then the Armoured Corps sounds like the right place for you!  That being said, the Engineers have some folks who work with big machines as well, as do the Artillery and Infantry.  The big difference, perhaps, is that in the Armoured being part of a vehicle crew is your first and foremost duty.

Best of luck!

Back