• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army Reserve Restructuring

Big collective Res F training events can improve attendance by happening at the same time, for the same duration, every year. In the absence of legislative fixes, customary practices can move the ball a bit.

And align all the training during the year to build up to the annual collective training event in the summer when you can just pull together a scratch rifle company from several units and say 'go attack that village - have fun'?

You assume a degree of leadership and coordination that no longer exists, if ever, IMHO ;)

And align all the training during the year to build up to the annual collective training event in the summer when you can just pull together a scratch rifle company from several units and say 'go attack that village - have fun'?

You assume a degree of leadership and coordination that no longer exists, if ever, IMHO ;)
Which is why its time to create hybrid units with properly interlocked standardized training cycles, shared equipment, robust employer legislation and tighter terms of service - oh, and stop doing "6-month rotations" to Latvia and instead create a brigade core with posted in personnel for several years and create year-round MTC-like standardized short-duration, expeditionary, training events (We have the aircraft to do that now).

🍻

Which is why its time to create hybrid units with properly interlocked standardized training cycles, shared equipment, robust employer legislation and tighter terms of service - oh, and stop doing "6-month rotations" to Latvia and instead create a brigade core with posted in personnel for several years and create year-round MTC-like standardized short-duration, expeditionary, training events (We have the aircraft to do that now).

🍻
You and your logic.

Big collective Res F training events can improve attendance by happening at the same time, for the same duration, every year. In the absence of legislative fixes, customary practices can move the ball a bit.

Agreed. We used to do Cougar Salvo every year when I was a RM Rang. 39 Bde usually managed something approaching a couple of companies plus a Sqn each of armour (well g wagons) and engineers. The exercise was slated for the university reading break to ensure students could attend (and they probably could use the extra cash). We also tended to get get a task list so train towards so we could hit those off as we approached March. Once March was over the focus would shift towards preparing for summer course and taskings. Pretty logical system if you ask me.

Agreed. We used to do Cougar Salvo every year when I was a RM Rang. 39 Bde usually managed something approaching a couple of companies plus a Sqn each of armour (well g wagons) and engineers. The exercise was slated for the university reading break to ensure students could attend (and they probably could use the extra cash). We also tended to get get a task list so train towards so we could hit those off as we approached March. Once March was over the focus would shift towards preparing for summer course and taskings. Pretty logical system if you ask me.

You're right, that used to work pretty well I think.

I think that all collapsed as a result of the various AFG related deployments, never to return in the same format.

Also had a Bty 4-6 guns of Artillery out there. Commitment on both the Soldiers and DND needs to be there. When they cancel or scale back one exercise not a big deal. When they start doing that time after time it has a large effect on who is going to commit to the time and effort.

When you have more then a scratch rifle company, they end up cancelling, postponing and or changing the scope so much that it makes it difficult for people to commit.

They need to properly plan and implement these training ex's every year. It will take a few years to attract the Soldiers to Recruit, train and retain. But it would come around.

Also had a Bty 4-6 guns of Artillery out there
You know, that made me think. Life is simple for us gunners. If you have four guys for a recce party, four guys for a command post, three guys for an OP, five guys to run a C3, and 50 rounds of 105mm HE, you had yourself a good little exercise. Anything more than that is pure gravy.

Yup. With less than 20 folks you could run through all the essential roles and duties of a gun troop. The whole arty system is just based on multiples of those run together by a comms system.

🍻

Back