• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions about living at Nelles Block...

I knew nothing about donairs when I lived out west, until the day I finally got to Halifax, and I was like "wtf are those?" haha...  they taste ok though.

Aaaahhhh, good ol' Nelles block.

Been there a few times. One of which was with a female from my unit. We thought it best not to argue, since we would rather deal with each other, rather than some random party animals, or worse. So we shared a room, like we shared a trench on BMQ/SQ.

The food there always was excellent. Unless there was only 5 or less of us overall, because of christmass time leave. But then again, the cooks were happy to make us pretty much anything we asked for.

If you are driving, make sure you don't hit any deers! They like to hang out, grazing right on top of the stone wall....

Yes I am driving, from July 28th to August 6 (they allow me 10 days to drive there, and I sure will take the 10 days travelling around).  I will look for deers, thanks for the advice! 

I guess Ill be going to Nelles Block , too?

I think I was there when I took a visit to Esquimalt. I was told I would be posted to CFB Esquimalt. Im a young buck , all of 19 turning 20 in September. So that means  Ill be leaving in the shacks. Im also a Steward so getting a place is pointless.

What is Nelles block exactly? Is it a large white building , and by the front desk is the mess? If thats it , I was there as me and my Bf were getting accomadations figured out to stay a night ( not in Nelles , in the officers wardoom.. which im guessing is nooottthiiing like Nelles Block! ).

Interested to hear a little bit about it and what they do with new sailors.

Also , this place is Co - Ed?!  :-\

And , btw.... Cape Bretoner here haha and yeah I will miss Donairs back home but will be most likley part of the ' Caper on Caper ' scraps haha , jk.

Thanks tons.

JESSO

gijesso said:
I guess Ill be going to Nelles Block , too?

I think I was there when I took a visit to Esquimalt. I was told I would be posted to CFB Esquimalt. Im a young buck , all of 19 turning 20 in September. So that means  Ill be leaving in the shacks. Im also a Steward so getting a place is pointless.

Not for your QL3 course, but you could be there for your NETP, once posted to CFB ESQ, you should be going to a ship and if thats the case I think you can live onboard, unless they have gotten rid of that.  But I would get an apartment or something, I don't get what you are saying that it is pointless because you are a steward?

Arent Stewards on ship ALL the time? It would be pointless to get an apartment.

And my QL3 is in Borden for 12 weeks.

Everyone is onboard while the ship sails.  When the ship is alongside, everyone is onboard during the workday.  Outside of the workday (evenings, weekends and holidays), it is only the duty watch onboard.

As far as I know, you are not allowed to live onboard anymore in home port.  Therefore your choices are living in the shacks or finding a place of your own.  You have a couple different ways you can go about this.  You can start at the shacks until you get to know the area better and have time to look for a place, or even make friends and share a house.  You should also be getting a house hunting trip when you are posted out there, which would allow you time to look for something, and also save you the cost of putting your belongings in storage while you look for a place.  This, of course, will all be dependent on the sailing schedule of your ship too, as you might find yourself going to sea right away as soon as you get to the coast.

Hmm yah .. I dont think I get a house hunting trip. After basic I  do 3 weeks PRETC and then home for leave then back to Borden for 12 then off to Esquimalt for NETP.. ( btw , how long is that? ). And then... ? I guess I am on a ship.

I can't remember off-hand how long NETP is now, but they have just revamped it once again.  You'll be living at Nelles while you're on that anyway.  That will give you some time to look around the area for a place too, and get to know people in case you want to share.  Whichever, you've got a ways to go still until you're posted out there, and no guarantees that you'll be going West Coast anyway.

My Major told me that I am posted to Esquimalt..  ???

But yeh , thanks for the info.. really good!

NETP is 5 weeks.

If you are 3's qualified you will have the choice of living on base (Bernay's) or getting your own apartment.  If you choose to get an apartment, they will give you some money to help pay part of the security deposit (which is peanuts) or if you buy a place they will pay for the lawyers fees, property taxes and home inspections (I think you have about two years after your posting to take advantage of that, I used it and it was a nice chunk of change saved).

Wow , NETP is only 5 weeks.. good to hear I thought it was about 12! Nelles block will do for myself for a little while I suppose. Im a young kid anyways. Ill be 3's qualified by the time I get there. Also its nice to see there are options.

Hey!  I am in Esquimalt right now and guess what!  I got my own room at Bernay's block!  COOL!

Good news stoker, that's great!  Did they give it to you right away, or did you have to ask about it?

And welcome to the Best Coast.  8)

My chief had to put his weight in the balance because at first, they said there was nothing left for me.  When I talked to my CPO1, he called the accomodation clerk and suddently, a single room was offered to me at Berney's Block!  Hahahaha!  As I am in imposed restriction, I guess this is why I got a single room.  I love it here but I feel alone as I don't know anybody here yet.  My ship, the Winnipeg, docked friday PM so monday morning, I will get on it and start working.  That way I will get to meet some people finally.

I'm surprised nobody responded recently. Anyway, I spent 10 months at Nelles Block, 7 of which was my actual QL3 course. I had 2 roommates, we all got along. There is 1 closet per person which is quickly filled with your CF clothes and some civvy clothing. A TV is provided, free cable too. There is also a bar fridge. You are allowed to own a small microwave but no cooking is allowed, just reheating, popcorn etc. There are regular inspections by your trade staff as well as higher ranking staff. No booze in the block is allowed, you are punished severely if caught. "Roxy" the MP's drug dog makes random visits throughout the block. Be an adult, you are that as well as an employee of the CF. There is a bicycle room to store same. Parking is nearby and you must obtain a "general" parking pass. I LOVED Esquimalt/Victoria and was there from June to April. There is plenty to do, I joined the kayak club (through PSP), did some great scuba diving, hiking etc. Perfect place for the outdoor types and for some reason, there are no bugs in the Summer! If you want to drink, get laid and party, you can do that too but on your own time, off base. Victoria is about 3KM from the base, plenty of cabs and busses available. I thought the food at Nelles was very good although I was lucky I didn't have to pay for rations and quarters....married etc. I could go on and on but won't...hope this helps a bit.

I'm two weeks away from graduating BMQ, and then I will be off to CFFS esquimalt. I am going to be there for about 6 months so I was wondering if there was internet access directly in the quarters. I looked around the site already and I couldn't find any set in stone answers. I an just hoping that someone who is there now or has been there recently can give me to the down low.

Thank you in advance,
                                                                                                                                                            OS Smallwood

Nat1993 said:
I was wondering if there was internet access directly in the quarters.

"Questions about living at Nelles Block..."
"You can put a landline and internet in if you want,":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/47873/post-416532/topicseen.html#msg416532

"The Going To Esquimalt Thread- PAT, PMQ, Etc.- Merged" 
"Yes you can have Internet in your room.":
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/25824/post-1175493.html#msg1175493

Also, you don't have to put your name and rank on here. It's almost preferable not too. I would have had an easy enough time figuring out who you are from your other two posts. Just a protip.

Hey,

I ghost around on the forums gathering what information I can so that when I am sent to Victoria for my 3's I am more or less versed in what I need to know.

Sadly I haven't found anything recent about the 'Block' other than it's a apparently a wild house and loud. I am not a partier, I'm not loud, and I have problems being able to sleep around noise even with ear plugs.

So my question is this.

When I'm sent for 3's will I have an option to be able to go to a room that isn't surrounded by loud people? Will I be able to get a an apartment for myself? Or am I on 'In-doc' period for a certain amount of time like basic.

Right now I'm waiting to be put back on course after a leg injury some time at the end of January. So anyone that knows of something would be extremely helpful. As well, would it be possible to know if we are allowed to bring things such as pillows and our bedding with us? These fire blankets do not help me on any level on BMQ and I freeze my ass off >,<.

Many thanks to those that answer,

OS. L.

Back