• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Questions regarding future enrollment as Aerospace Engineering Officer

AirPeaches

Inactive
Reaction score
Currently I'm a first year engineering student at the University of Manitoba, and as a potential career option (upon graduation), I was considering joining the Canadian Forces through Direct Entry as (hopefully) an Aerospace Engineering Officer. I have some questions, regarding not so much the position, but how to better my chances at getting in. I am considering applying to the reserves in my final year or 2nd last year.

1) I'd be graduating with a B.Sc in Mechanical engineering with an Aerospace specialization, to confirm, would this be satisfactory for this position? Does GPA have any bearing?

2) Does the military consider all forms of employment prior to joining? Reason I ask, I will be interning this summer with my provincial Hydro company (MB Hydro) and have hopes at interning with Boeing Aerospace before graduating. Would this work experience increase my chances at getting accepted and being offered my position of choice?

3) Assuming I pass the academic and medical/physical requirements, what else would make a candidate for this position competitive? ie What can I do aside from work experience, that will increase my odds of getting my position of choice? Of course this is dependent upon openings for this position at the time, but in general, what would make an ideal candidate in terms of personal experience/skillsets for this position?

4) When should/could I apply for full time service? It seems that the application process can be quite long sometimes. If I was graduating in April 2019, could/should I apply for this full time position in September 2018? Or would I have to wait until my studies are entirely finished?

5) I'm aware the military will "pay for your education". In my case, my education is entirely paid for through personal savings and scholarships. If I am permitted to join before graduating, would I get paid?

Hopefully I can get some good feedback and insight, this position interests me and I have four years to work towards it - so the more information the better  ;D

Thanks!

Good day AirPeaches,

1) A Baccalaureate of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering does not meet the Academic Requirements for the Aerospace Engineer Occupation. Your GPA may help increase your competitiveness against other applicants applying for the same occupation.

Required education for Aerospace Engineering officer:

A Bachelor Of Engineering in the following:

-Aerospace/Aeronautical;
-Computer;
-Computer Systems;
-Electrical;
-Electronic Systems;
-Mechanical;
-Mechanical Systems;
-Mechatronic Systems;
-Mechatronics;
-Physics;
-Software;
-Software Systems;
-Systems Design;
-Chemical;
-Management;
-Materials; and
-Space.

A Baccalaureate of Science Degree in the following:

-Applied Sciences;
-Computer Science; and
-Space Sciences.

2) All prior work experience helps to increase the competitiveness of an applicant's file against other applicants.

3) In addition to work experience, any leadership roles (Capt of sports team, community/volunteer work, etc) will also increase the competitiveness of an officer applicant's application.

4) If graduating in April of 2019, then you can submit an application in September of 2018 as a direct entry officer (DEO). There are also Paid Education options available for many of the officer occupations that you can apply for. Here is a link to the Paid Education section of our website: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96
In September of 2018, you would eligible to apply as a direct entry officer because you have begun your final year of studies at that time. Any offer of enrollment would be conditional upon successful completion of your degree.

5) If you apply, and are accepted to continue your studies, paid for by the Forces, then you would receive a salary in addition to having your tuition paid for. The entry plan for this is the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP). 

Master Corporal Steven said:
Good day AirPeaches,

1) A Baccalaureate of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering does not meet the Academic Requirements for the Aerospace Engineer Occupation.

Are you certain about that?

The name of the degree coming out of an engineering school varies from school to school.

UBC and Waterloo give a Baccalaureate of Applied Science.
Carleton gives a Baccalaureate of Engineering
UofA gives a Baccalaureate of Science

I'd understand if the program was restrictive to a narrow program (eg. Aerospace), but a mechanical engineering degree being accepted on the basis of the words the school uses for it would surprise me.

I would appreciate it if you could confirm your statement.

Master Corporal Steven said:
Good day AirPeaches,

1) A Baccalaureate of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering does not meet the Academic Requirements for the Aerospace Engineer Occupation. Your GPA may help increase your competitiveness against other applicants applying for the same occupation.

Required education for Aerospace Engineering officer:

A Bachelor Of Engineering in the following:

-Aerospace/Aeronautical;
-Computer;
-Computer Systems;
-Electrical;
-Electronic Systems;
-Mechanical;
-Mechanical Systems;
-Mechatronic Systems;
-Mechatronics;
-Physics;
-Software;
-Software Systems;
-Systems Design;
-Chemical;
-Management;
-Materials; and
-Space.

A Baccalaureate of Science Degree in the following:

-Applied Sciences;
-Computer Science; and
-Space Sciences.

2) All prior work experience helps to increase the competitiveness of an applicant's file against other applicants.

3) In addition to work experience, any leadership roles (Capt of sports team, community/volunteer work, etc) will also increase the competitiveness of an officer applicant's application.

4) If graduating in April of 2019, then you can submit an application in September of 2018 as a direct entry officer (DEO). There are also Paid Education options available for many of the officer occupations that you can apply for. Here is a link to the Paid Education section of our website: http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96
In September of 2018, you would eligible to apply as a direct entry officer because you have begun your final year of studies at that time. Any offer of enrollment would be conditional upon successful completion of your degree.

5) If you apply, and are accepted to continue your studies, paid for by the Forces, then you would receive a salary in addition to having your tuition paid for. The entry plan for this is the Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP).

Thank you for the reply. The information is appreciated. However, as another user has mentioned, it worries me that a B.Sc is not accepted as equivalent. Are you absolutely certain that this is so?

And perhaps I should be clear, the exact degree title is B.Sc (Eng). Not sure if this makes any difference.

Good day,

The educational requirements that I listed come directly from the Director General Military Personnel on education entry standards for joining the Regular Force. That being said if you apply with the B.Sc (Eng) for the Aerospace Engineering officer a personnel selection officer will determine if your education meets the requirements of the occupation.

This is intended to be the last post in this thread, and am posting here in the case that someone in the future runs into this same situation.

Firstly, Master Corporal Steven, I'd like to thank you for answering my preliminary questions, it is appreciated.

With that said, I have been in contact with my recruiting center here in Winnipeg regarding the matter of my degree title and was told this:
I’ll set your mind at ease at the outset, yes, your BSc (eng) in Mechanical Engineering from the UofM is acceptable for either of these occupations [AERE Officer and Electrical/Mechanical Engineering Officer].
but [answers are sometimes] from standpoints that are not fully aware of the details (such as the nomenclature attached to an engineering degree awarded in Manitoba).
It seems, from my understanding that the protocol might be different here in Manitoba because only my school UofM, offers engineering curriculum, etc.

-AirPeaches

Back