• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

quitting before training completion. penalty?

blmacdo

Inactive
Reaction score
-I got a big surprise today. I applied for the reserves nearly two years ago and I thought I knew what I was getting into.  Today they told me I could be sworn in on Friday and part of it was I had to swear I'd complete the entire training, including two months full-time in the summer of specialty training.
-Since it was reserves I didn't know I'd ever have to go away for longer than a weekend.  And I thought in the reserves you can quit anytime you like.  Taking an oath that you'll complete the training contradicts that big time, so we're off on the wrong foot.
-Thank God my wife makes decent money.  I'm underemployed.  If I find full-time work you bet I'll take it and not complete two months of training in the summer
I sometimes regret being pathologically honest, maybe I should stop thinking about all this and just take the oath and do what's best for me.
I wonder about any consequences for breaking my oath and quitting, such as a dishonourable discharge.
-Finally, if I take the oath Friday, when would my two months of specialty training likely be?  And when will basic start?  Thanks in advance.

blmacdo said:
-I got a big surprise today. I applied for the reserves nearly two years ago and I thought I knew what I was getting into.  Today they told me I could be sworn in on Friday and part of it was I had to swear I'd complete the entire training, including two months full-time in the summer of specialty training.
-Since it was reserves I didn't know I'd ever have to go away for longer than a weekend.  And I thought in the reserves you can quit anytime you like.  Taking an oath that you'll complete the training contradicts that big time, so we're off on the wrong foot.
-Thank God my wife makes decent money.  I'm underemployed.  If I find full-time work you bet I'll take it and not complete two months of training in the summer
I sometimes regret being pathologically honest, maybe I should stop thinking about all this and just take the oath and do what's best for me.
I wonder about any consequences for breaking my oath and quitting, such as a dishonourable discharge.
-Finally, if I take the oath Friday, when would my two months of specialty training likely be?  And when will basic start?  Thanks in advance.

You will be administered an Oath or Solemn Affirmation (it's your choice) at the time of your enrolment.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-queens-regulations-orders-vol-01/ch-06.page#cha-006-04

It's your responsibility to try and make time for training commitments with your Reserve Unit.  As far as future training, you will need to speak with the Reserve Unit which you are joining, as they will be the ones who schedule this.  They too also have full-time jobs or commitments elsewhere, so for the most part, they will more than likely be willing to try and work with your schedule of availability.

Good luck and sorry for the late response.

Back