• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Racism in Canada (split from A Deeply Fractured US)

jacksparrow said:
In the same breathe...there is no sexual misconduct right?

You're making a lot of straw man statements and really come across like you're spoiling for an argument or fight.

Glad to see Ramius and Brad Swallows above don't share your blind sentiments.

Freeland did something that Doug Ford couldn't.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/protests-are-important-but-risks-of-covid-19-must-be-considered-freeland-1.4967799

Related news from Montreal...I guess if anyone will know, this guy will know better than Doug Ford.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-police-commander-breaks-ranks-to-call-out-racism-and-racial-profiling-1.4969563

Again, you evaded the sexual comment. At least try to deny this is also a falacy i.e. double-down on your stance.

Jarnhamar said:
You're making a lot of straw man statements and really come across like you're spoiling for an argument or fight.

jacksparrow said:
Glad to see Ramius and Brad Swallows above don't share your blind sentiments.
Oh shit, the old divide and conquer! Remus and Brad are a lot smarter than me so I'm not surprised  ;)

Again, you evaded the sexual comment. At least try to deny this is also a falacy i.e. double-down on your stance.

Nothings getting by you it seems. If you go through my post history you'll see what I think about sexual misconduct in the CAF including my opinions about 2 out of the 5 upcoming court-martials being about sexual assault. You'll unfortunately see that I'm very critical of the CAF (and RCMP).

You'll need a different angle to try and discredit me, sorry ;)

I suppose that I can only speak from my own perspective, but I think that the Canadian Forces as a whole might be slightly ahead of the rest of Canada as far as exceptance and race issues. For example, there aren't too many other places where I can say that people are as comfortable talking about race. For a lot of people, I don't think that it really matters of someone is purple or pink. And considering that some of these people really aren't politically correct, that's saying a lot. Like I said based on my own experiences. I don't know if it's different in the Air Force or Navy, or other trades.  Of course there are some individuals who have been in the news in the last few years, and a few others that haven't been, but I don't think that we will ever completely get rid of that. 

Jarnhamar said:
Stepping down would be nice.

Why should he step down?  Perhaps that might have been an argument to be made before the last election but Canadian's went the polls after it was revealed and despite the poor judgement he exercised in the pass, his party still won most votes.  Despite many saying they didn't agree with it, it wasn't a reason not to vote for him as most Canadians don't believe he is racist.  He did some stupid things as we all do from time to time but I he's doing a good job, IMO.

I ain't got the time to waste going through your history...I'll leave that sort of thing to you to immerse yourself in. LOL

Note: However, I'm NOT here to pick fights with you, so you can get all dramatic on me till the cows come home pal :)

I just think your claim that there is zero racism on visible minorities in the CAF is out to lunch that's all.

You have a good evening eh!

Jarnhamar said:
Oh crap, the old divide and conquer! Remus and Brad are a lot smarter than me so I'm not surprised  ;)

Nothings getting by you it seems. If you go through my post history you'll see what I think about sexual misconduct in the CAF including my opinions about 2 out of the 5 upcoming court-martials being about sexual assault. You'll unfortunately see that I'm very critical of the CAF (and RCMP).

You'll need a different angle to try and discredit me, sorry ;)

jacksparrow said:
I ain't got the time to waste going through your history
That's too bad you might learn a lot.

I just think your claim that there is zero racism on visible minorities in the CAF is out to lunch that's all.
I think your stereotyping people who don't live in the big city is prejudiced and typical of the double standard we so often see from "the left".
You have a good evening too!

Sir,

Thanks for this eloquent post. You did not shy away from the discussion, and while you based it on what you've observed, you also didn't dispute that it might be happening. Point in case, your comment about the folks who have been in the news.

Indeed, the CAF is transparent in its hiring of all sorts provided you're able to meet the requirements, unlike other organizations that can look at a resume and base hiring on names.

There is always going to be bias / bigotry / covert & overt racism, just like there will continue to be holocaust denials, and far rights groups who blame everything that's wrong with their miserable lives on minorities, to make themselves feel better instead of owning their faults.

Kilted said:
I suppose that I can only speak from my own perspective, but I think that the Canadian Forces as a whole might be slightly ahead of the rest of Canada as far as exceptance and race issues. For example, there aren't too many other places where I can say that people are as comfortable talking about race. For a lot of people, I don't think that it really matters of someone is purple or pink. And considering that some of these people really aren't politically correct, that's saying a lot. Like I said based on my own experiences. I don't know if it's different in the Air Force or Navy, or other trades.  Of course there are some individuals who have been in the news in the last few years, and a few others that haven't been, but I don't think that we will ever completely get rid of that.

jacksparrow said:
Indeed, the CAF is transparent in its hiring of all sorts provided you're able to meet the requirements

Except if you’re anything other than a white man, you’ll practically get begged to join. It’s no secret that the CAF has gender and visible minority targets for recruiting. Affirmative action in itself is racist.

jacksparrow said:
unlike other organizations that can look at a resume and base hiring on names.

If you make an accusation you should be able to back it up with names.....listening.

>far rights groups who blame everything that's wrong with their miserable lives on minorities, to make themselves feel better instead of owning their faults.

Ironically, there are far left groups who like to blame [everything] wrong with their miserable lives on others, too.

Racism exist in Canada, no doubt, because it exists everywhere.

Other than the Indian Act, there is no longer any official legislation to suppress the rights of a group of people in Canada. The IA is still around because it's a huge can of worms to replace it, but the worse effects of it have been cut away.

I have seen land grants from 1913 that forbid the mill from hiring Chinese or Sikh workers. That land grant was technically still in effect, till it was pointed out to the Province, who reissued a new one quickly.

My wife who is dark skinned has been the recipient of racism from every other group here that she has come in contact with. When trying to get an online tutoring job she surmised that the Asian company would not hire her despite her experience because their Chinese clients would not accept being tutored by a Brown person. My wife is also mixed blood and suffered racism in her home country where she was neither Indian enough or Malay enough for those groups. She said that the racism there is greater than here, but because it's out in the open, it's easier to identify that it's happening. Here it's far more subtle, which can be far more frustrating.

For Black people here in the Lower mainland, I would say that most of them appear to be upper middle class or rich, I am not sure how much racism they get, but it does not seem to affect their economic opportunities.

Here in the lower mainland we have 3 distinct Chinese groups and then generally don't get along with each other. The recent wave of rich mainlanders grossly inflated the the real estate market, driving home price out of reach of the average person. Now is the anger about that racism or bitterness/frustration?

If you applied to a mainly Asian or Persian run company here and your not part of that ethnic group, your chances of getting in are slim, however if the company is mainly Caucasian, likley it would have minimal effect. In fact your sex is likley a greater hindrance than your ethnic make up.

My take on the matter is that most people here are willing to let individuals make their own impression, even if the other party has a preformed opinion of that group. I would say that First Nations here face the greatest burden and the longest path forward.

My solution is to accept that everyone can be racist and have preformed opinions, so treat everyone the way you wish to be treated and the world will change one small act of kindness at a time. Tell me that I can't have an opinion because of my skin colour is racist and I will politely tell you to go eff yourself.         

Colin's note reminds me of my amusement a few decades back on learning that some people of mainland Chinese origin whose families had been in Canada for a while were in the habit of referring to more recent Hong Kong emigrants as "FOBs".  In/out group prejudices (which is really what "racism" is) can arise in the oddest places.

His post also reminded me of the time many Black Americans were stating that Barrack Obama wasn’t Black enough to be the United States’ first black President...

What a difference 24hrs make......an about turn

Premier Doug Ford acknowledges systemic racism in Ontario, backtracks on earlier comments

The PR folks must have been working damage control overtime.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7027358/premier-doug-ford-systemic-racism-ontario/

Five charts that show what systemic racism looks like in Canada

First-generation Black Canadians make an average income of nearly $37,000, compared to an average income of $50,000 for new immigrants who are not members of a visible minority.

That wage gap doesn’t go away over time. Third-generation Black Canadians make an average income of $32,000, compared with $48,000 for Canadians who aren’t a visible minority — a demographic that, due to the way census data is collected, includes Indigenous Canadians, who also experience income disparity.

Those numbers are troubling but not surprising, says Andrea A. Davis, chair of York University’s department of humanities and co-ordinator of the university’s Black Canadian Studies Certificate.

“Often when people see statistics like this, the assume that well, there’s clearly a rational and a good reason for this disparity,” Davis told CTVNews.ca in an interview Thursday.

The reality, Davis said, is that Black immigrants are up against a system that makes assumptions about them based on the colour of their skin. She said many Black immigrants face a tougher time getting hired because employers say they want someone with “Canadian experience.”

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/five-charts-that-show-what-systemic-racism-looks-like-in-canada-1.4970352

How to be anti-racist: Speak out in your own circles

https://www.ctvnews.ca/world/how-to-be-anti-racist-speak-out-in-your-own-circles-1.4968789

jacksparrow said:
What a difference 24hrs make......an about turn

The PR folks must have been working damage control overtime.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7027358/premier-doug-ford-systemic-racism-ontario/

One thing I will say about the man.  He’s not afraid to backtrack and correct.  He didn’t double down and keep his narrative going.  Something like that is refreshing in politics.  The federal conservatives need to pay attention.

So his initial claims were just what...an attempt to see if people will agree?  ::) Who's to say he doesn't truly believe what he said, but the PR folks managed to get him to go out there and actual speak the reality on the street.

In the link below, Edmonton, look at the faces holding the signs

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/black-lives-matter-edmonton-formally-joins-organization-efforts-for-friday-protest

Kitchener-Waterloo, ON...look at the faces in the crowd. NOTE: KW use to be known as 'Berlin', and has the largest German population in the country & largest Oktoberfest, with a lot of street names reflecting this.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/this-feels-a-little-different-now-first-hand-account-of-the-black-lives-matter-march-in-kitchener-1.4969354

Remius said:
One thing I will say about the man.  He’s not afraid to backtrack and correct.  He didn’t double down and keep his narrative going.  Something like that is refreshing in politics.  The federal conservatives need to pay attention.

- Staff edit to fix quote box

Colin P said:
Racism exist in Canada, no doubt, because it exists everywhere.

Great post Colin thanks.

Pointing out that racism isn't just something white people do isn't a very popular thing.

Your post reminded me of some conversations I had with people about names. I know an amazing PSP member who shortened her female name to a male name because people treated her better through email correspondence (at her previous job) when they thought they were dealing with a male. An RCMP friend who's a visible minority told me before he went RCMP he owned a business and changed his name to a "white sounding name". I never asked why and assumed it was to not draw prejudice from caucasians but now I wonder.

jacksparrow said:
So his initial claims were just what...an attempt to see if people will agree?  ::) Who's to say he doesn't truly believe what he said, but the PR folks managed to get him to go out there and actual speak the reality on the street.

In the link below, Edmonton, look at the faces holding the signs

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/local-news/black-lives-matter-edmonton-formally-joins-organization-efforts-for-friday-protest

Kitchener-Waterloo, ON...look at the faces in the crowd. NOTE: KW use to be known as 'Berlin', and has the largest German population in the country & largest Oktoberfest, with a lot of street names reflecting this.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/this-feels-a-little-different-now-first-hand-account-of-the-black-lives-matter-march-in-kitchener-1.4969354

Remius said:

So he shouldn’t have backtracked?

- Staff edit to fix quote boxes in quote

Back