• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCAF Mess Ottawa

The priority of some tribes is to assert their distinctiveness over the others. The old officer service messes will be protected to reinforce a message that we are not one and that all are beholden to their parent “service.”

That distinctive tribalism may be partly responsible for the AOM appearing to be in better financial condition than the other two messes in Ottawa. They are, at least, still open; is that not so. Some of it may have to do with a larger number of green clad officers being posted to NDHQ. If I recall correctly, back in the 80s when I was posted there, I had no choice of mess to which I had to belong despite being a "purple suiter" at the time. This was when we had just been assigned (but not yet issued) which DEU we would take on; mine was army so I ended up being a member of the AOM. Other than the lunchtime draw of previously mentioned air force fish and chips or army curry, the Ottawa messes didn't particularly fit my routine (or interests) and it appeared to me that was the common perception. On the few times that I gathered with others in a mess for a few Friday wets it was at Uplands (NDMC pers, where several friends were posted, were affiliated to either Uplands or Rockcliffe), which was a more traditional base mess experience but still far from a large turn-out.

That distinctive tribalism may be partly responsible for the AOM appearing to be in better financial condition than the other two messes in Ottawa. They are, at least, still open; is that not so. Some of it may have to do with a larger number of green clad officers being posted to NDHQ. If I recall correctly, back in the 80s when I was posted there, I had no choice of mess to which I had to belong despite being a "purple suiter" at the time. This was when we had just been assigned (but not yet issued) which DEU we would take on; mine was army so I ended up being a member of the AOM. Other than the lunchtime draw of previously mentioned air force fish and chips or army curry, the Ottawa messes didn't particularly fit my routine (or interests) and it appeared to me that was the common perception. On the few times that I gathered with others in a mess for a few Friday wets it was at Uplands (NDMC pers, where several friends were posted, were affiliated to either Uplands or Rockcliffe), which was a more traditional base mess experience but still far from a large turn-out.
They generate about $50K a month in mess dues alone, not to mention bar sales and private events.

So if the RCAF and Navy pers in NCR don’t have a mess, I assume they also don’t have mess dues?
Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

I can't speak to the Wardroom, but for the RCAF O Mess:

There isn't a physical place, but the RCAF O Mess does organize events, have prizes, etc. It's almost all virtual now, with the exception of stuff like beer tours (which was amazing btw), wine tours, cooking classes, etc. For TGIF dinners, you can order dinners to go, pick up from the common kitchen by the JR Mess, and heat at home. They're pretty good, to be honest.

I have to say the NCR RCAF O Mess really did good stuff during Covid. Probably had a higher "turnout" for things than when it was in person.

Cracks Me Up Steve Harvey GIF by ABC Network

I can't speak to the Wardroom, but for the RCAF O Mess:

There isn't a physical place, but the RCAF O Mess does organize events, have prizes, etc. It's almost all virtual now, with the exception of stuff like beer tours (which was amazing btw), wine tours, cooking classes, etc. For TGIF dinners, you can order dinners to go, pick up from the common kitchen by the JR Mess, and heat at home. They're pretty good, to be honest.

I have to say the NCR RCAF O Mess really did good stuff during Covid. Probably had a higher "turnout" for things than when it was in person.
Bytown did the same thing; there was virtual beer/wine/whiskey tastings and all kinds of other virtual activities, plus regular draws (that everyone was entered into by default). They also kept paying the salaries of the full times staff who had been fixtures, which is probably the sad bit of going into the Jrs in that they had to lay them off.

RCAF Mess is having an Octoberfest again this year. If it's anything like it was pre-pandemic, I highly recommend. It was hilarious.

ww, poor. babies . Hoe about thosev in Buffalo Nut Sask? memberhip about 6.

RCAF Mess is having an Octoberfest again this year. If it's anything like it was pre-pandemic, I highly recommend. It was hilarious.
Is that really a critical task?

Is that really a critical task?
I know the Ent O there. He isn't ordered to to put on Oktoberfest, or any other event that he helps organize.

Also, those positions are volunteers, not "voluntolds". They're doing this because they want to.

I know the Ent O there. He isn't ordered to to put on Oktoberfest, or any other event that he helps organize.

Also, those positions are volunteers, not "voluntolds". They're doing this because they want to.
But how are we supposed to be ready to fight the Russians when people are eating German Sausages in Ottawa?

But how are we supposed to be ready to fight the Russians when people are eating German Sausages in Ottawa?
Probably the same way as the CAF troops deployed in the UK and Latvia assisting efforts in Ukraine are likely also eating a German sausage or two around this time? 🤷‍♂️

Back