• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCMP Info, discussion

Here ya go:

http://www.rcmp.ca/intpolicing/intpolicing_e.htm

Initiative and internet.  Such a delightful team up. :p

Thanks zipperhead_cop that is great. I did search that site but I didn't find that link for some reason, I appreciate your help though  :salute:   

And yes initiative and internet are a delightful team up haha

Crown-Loyal said:
Thanks zipperhead_cop that is great. I did search that site but I didn't find that link for some reason, I appreciate your help though  :salute:   

And yes initiative and internet are a delightful team up haha

;D

Regina — The RCMP is looking to recruit up to 2,000 new members every year over the next few years.

The campaign to fill an increasing number of anticipated openings is the RCMP's largest job push in more than 30 years, said Cpl. Brent Bennett, who handles recruitment for the force.

“The force is going to need more people due to retirements and due to new units that are being set up, for example, like an anti-terrorist unit,” said Cpl. Bennett.

This is a good sign for us who are in the application process. Plus an anti-terrorist unit sounds interesting as well.

Crown-Loyal said:
Regina — The RCMP is looking to recruit up to 2,000 new members every year over the next few years.

The campaign to fill an increasing number of anticipated openings is the RCMP's largest job push in more than 30 years, said Cpl. Brent Bennett, who handles recruitment for the force.

“The force is going to need more people due to retirements and due to new units that are being set up, for example, like an anti-terrorist unit,” said Cpl. Bennett.

This is a good sign for us who are in the application process. Plus an anti-terrorist unit sounds interesting as well.

No kidding.... A couple buddies and I are going to go write the test in a few weeks...

The Anti-Terrorist unit sounds interesting, It would probabbly be mostly Intelligence work.. not Door Kicking JTF-2 Ninja Commando stuff though.... Either way though... Id just be happy at this point, with sitting in a Crusier doing traffic enforcement!

cheers,
josh

The test is a hell of a lot more tough than the CFAT. I purchased a book from Chapters, it was designed for the RPAT, designed to help you. Also has a sample RPAT in it. You should consider purchasing it. It got me through the test, it helps you develop skills like good memory, problem solving, able to piece together situations... etc.

Good luck with it!

Cpl Thompson said:
Id just be happy at this point, with sitting in a Crusier doing traffic enforcement!

That will wear off pretty quickly  ;D.  BTW, spelling "cruiser" will go a long way to being in one :blotto:

I believe the book at Coles or WH Smith is called something like "The Complete Guide to Police and Firefighter Testing".  It appears to be a good book, to start drilling yourself in rapid question answering.  If the test you are writing does not count wrong answers against you, then try to plow through as many as possible, but also be accurate.  What you don't want to do is get hung up on a question and take too much time. 
In Ontario, when I wrote the GATB (Yes, that is dating me) there seemed to be a pattern to the questions.  Two were not too hard, the next was more challenging, and the fourth was hard.  After, the questions seemed to go back to easy, easy, tougher, hard, and so on.  So I just answered the two easy ones, took an extra few seconds with the third and took an educated stab at the fourth.  That being said, though, it was a solid eight years ago so who knows now.  They review those things all the time and overhaul them when it looks like people on average are starting to do too well. 
Good luck.  Get lots of sleep and get a good breakfast into you the morning of.

zipperhead_cop said:
That will wear off pretty quickly  ;D.
I'm not sure... Simple things amuse simple minds... Ie: me... and Flashy cars with whoopie lights.... well that and the satisfaction of nailing some jacknut doing 85 through a school zone..

BTW, spelling "cruiser" will go a long way to being in one :blotto

Man.... the ONE time I don't use spell check....  ;D

Thanks for the Tip about the Books... the Study guide ATS gives you is absolute Crap... if its the only thing you use it will doom you to fail... the study math is like 2+8-3=? and then the question you get is like 1b = 7.6 or 11b = 58.3..... so it really doesn't help you much i found.... plus i suck at math to begin with...

I'm probably going to go do my ATS again as well as write the RCMP test, before I go start my workup trg for A-Stan (If I get selected... Ive been offered a tour.)
thanks for the advice Zip.  :)

I heard a bunch of people used some site called Policeprep.com, it has a bunch of different tests from the OPP, RCMP etc. Hey guys I wrote my RPAT Feb 11 and the recruiter said the results would take 4-6 weeks to get here. It is now March 31. should i bee concerned? or like all other government business it takes longer than expected. thanks.

No news is usually good news.  Rejections don't take very long to fire off.

Cpl Thompson said:
I'm not sure... Simple things amuse simple minds... Ie: me... and Flashy cars with whoopie lights.... well that and the satisfaction of nailing some jacknut doing 85 through a school zone..

That is good too.  But once you have played cat and mouse looking for a drug dealer with a warrant going from crack house to crack house, being your own good cop/bad cop, and track the guy down and put him away (for all of 60 hours, but I digress) you start to set the bar higher for what makes your pulse race.
BTW, I still love a good traffic stop.  Driving with no insurance in Ontario starts at $5000, so that is a good times ticket for sure!

Crown-Loyal said:
I heard a bunch of people used some site called Policeprep.com, it has a bunch of different tests from the OPP, RCMP etc. Hey guys I wrote my RPAT Feb 11 and the recruiter said the results would take 4-6 weeks to get here. It is now March 31. should i bee concerned? or like all other government business it takes longer than expected. thanks.
Police prep was the actual book I had. It's worth getting, it helped me pass my Rpat.

[
The day will be VERY long. Bring a lunch. The polygraph interviewer will even probably show you how accurate the test is by doing test questions to calibrate it , etc. Trust me, DO NOT LIE at all.

Thanks for the heads-up!  It sure wasn't what I expected.  It only lasted 4.5 hours.  How long did it take until you had the next correspondence??

After my 3 hour test, about a week later they told me that I would still be considered. It was the most mentally straining thing I"ve ever done. I wish you luck!

Good luck with the polygraph. As for me now finishing up my 8th week of waiting for my rpat scores....the military is starting to sound good  ;D  I'm not complaining just sharing info on my application process.

Well I have recieved a letter from the RCMP about my test results. I passed and now what do I do? Just do some more waiting incase I get considered for selection? I was thinking that if I failed the test I would join the reserves and go to school for a couple years before re-applying. The only thing is I'm not clear on what the letter says. I didn't fail the test but i didn't get to go further in the process...do this mean i still have a chance or is it just a nice way of saying come back next year and get a better score? Thanks guys.

You will be placed in a pile of scores. How high you scored will determine how fast you get selected for the pare. It's all about the test score that determines how fast you advance really, IMO. It's easy sailing from there on. Just gotta be prepared. If you don't have life experiences, get some. lol.

Crown-Loyal said:
Well I have recieved a letter from the RCMP about my test results. I passed and now what do I do? Just do some more waiting incase I get considered for selection? I was thinking that if I failed the test I would join the reserves and go to school for a couple years before re-applying. The only thing is I'm not clear on what the letter says. I didn't fail the test but i didn't get to go further in the process...do this mean i still have a chance or is it just a nice way of saying come back next year and get a better score? Thanks guys.

Sounds like you didn't do anything wrong, just that compared to the other applicants you were not as competitive.  Work on your resume, sounds like you did alright.

Thanks guys, good to hear positive things. You mention resume. I did volunteer security here for my town's Junior B hockey team and...well thats about it. I have been working since I was 15 ( I'm 19 now ) so my resume is not as large as others perhaps. Is there any suggestions you can give me on things to do to make my resume stand out to the recruiters? I was thinking maybe citizens patrol would look good. I guy I know here in Abbotsford applied for the Abbotsford police and he had about 600 hours of community volunteer work under his belt and the recruiter told him to go out and get some volunteer hours doing something that applied somewhat to policing, for example security like I did. Anyway thanks for any and all input guys.

One of my teachers in college (Law & Security, now called Police Foundations in many places) who is now a Superintendant at my Department gave me some good pointers.  As a generality, you must find a way to stand out. 
Second language?  Everyone has French, and how often are you going to come across a monolingual Francophone outside of Quebec and it's adjacent provinces?  New languages are hard, but if you were taking Farsi, it doesn't mean you could translate a Koran, just working on something that most people don't have.  Sign language is also a good one to pick up, and being able to hold a basic conversation and learning the alphabet takes about 10 weeks. 
With respect to volunteer work, try to do something that isn't fun.  Example, lots of guys like to volunteer to coach little league baseball and hockey.  That is great and commendable, but you and several hundred other guys also have it on their resume.  STAND OUT.  Go to your local hospital and look into helping in the palliative ward.  You will get a health dose of humble while you feed mushy food to immobilized senior citizens in varying staged of death and decay.  You will go home every time feeling like you have a layer of cement on your shoulders.  However, that is like a strobe light on a resume that says "I give a crap about my community!". 
If you pile on too much cop-ish stuff, you may look over eager ie) works as a security guard, aux police, volunteer security for community events, volunteer for victim services.  All good things, but you don't want to look like you are a fixated wanna be.  Try to show a profile of life experience too.  Move out, pay your own bills and car insurance, etc.  If you are living at home and are a full time student until you are 29, how can you go into the community and be able to relate to people?

I am not a recruiter, so I can't guarantee what the magic bullet is.  I just know what worked for me.  Good luck!

I didn't have much volunteer experience... resume isn't that much really, basically the big obstacles are the test score and interview. If you're fit, honest, you shouldn't have a problem with the other sections.

Back