• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN ships in high sea states

FSTO

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Oldgateboatdriver said:
They are "coastal" vessels, Recceguy. Built for OUR coasts, which are basically open ocean areas. They can take a crossing without too much trouble unless they hit a storm mid-ocean. But then again, even aircraft carriers can be mauled pretty bad by storms if they get caught - Just ask admiral Halsey.  ;D

Just read that book. After reading what happened to the survivors of the USS Indianapolis and the ones from the ships that sunk in that Typhoon I would much rather be in arctic waters over tropical waters. A quick death by hypothermia seems much more desirable than one by sunburn, madness and sharks. 

recceguy said:
Sending Coastal Defence Vessels to the other side of the world. I'm guessing when I say they must've been like bobbing around like a cork on the crossing.

Not really I have been across on deployments 3 times now, its not that bad.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
They are "coastal" vessels, Recceguy. Built for OUR coasts, which are basically open ocean areas. They can take a crossing without too much trouble unless they hit a storm mid-ocean. But then again, even aircraft carriers can be mauled pretty bad by storms if they get caught - Just ask admiral Halsey.  ;D

They have been in at least 14M seas without any troubles.

Chief, 14 meters seas + is Beaufort Sea State 12 - hurricane. The frigates or IROs couldn't take that "without any trouble".

There has been one crossing I know of with the MCDV where they were hit by the tail of hurricane - down to Sea State 11 (violent storm - waves 11.5 to 14 meters), it was extremely tough on the crew and equipment and one of the MCDV tripped both shafts due to overspeed when the screws came out of the water, leaving them bobbing around dead in the water until they could be reset and making for very tense moments. I would not call that "without any trouble".

This said, and as I indicated, so long as they are facing normal seas, the MCDV's are fine to do crossings.

Chief Stoker said:
They have been in at least 14M seas without any troubles.
Thanks for reminding me why I joined the Army... god speed to all you crazy folks that enjoy that.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Chief, 14 meters seas + is Beaufort Sea State 12 - hurricane. The frigates or IROs couldn't take that "without any trouble".

There has been one crossing I know of with the MCDV where they were hit by the tail of hurricane - down to Sea State 11 (violent storm - waves 11.5 to 14 meters), it was extremely tough on the crew and equipment and one of the MCDV tripped both shafts due to overspeed when the screws came out of the water, leaving them bobbing around dead in the water until they could be reset and making for very tense moments. I would not call that "without any trouble".

This said, and as I indicated, so long as they are facing normal seas, the MCDV's are fine to do crossings.

I believe I remember that crossing(2005/2006 ish), I briefed the command teams before they went... apparently saying there are 17m seas forecast along the route wasn't clear enough information. ;D

ballz said:
He'd be safer in Mali than surrounded by Albertans :clubinhand:

I thought it read 'He'd be safer at the MALL than surrounded by Albertans.'

Which, when I last was at WEM, it still would've been an accurate statement. :D

Oldgateboatdriver said:

Yes I was the Chief Engineer and the situation was overblown by those ashore. We lost propulsion for about 1 min and it was restored. I would of had the shafts up sooner however I was on the aft end of the sweep deck securing a POL barrel that came loose. I wouldn't call it "tense" and all personnel were up and about. Point is the ship can handle it and have been handling it for the last 20 years. If it couldn't we wouldn't be still sending ships across.

Chief Stoker said:
Yes I was the Chief Engineer and the situation was overblown by those ashore. We lost propulsion for about 1 min and it was restored. I would of had the shafts up sooner however I was on the aft end of the sweep deck securing a POL barrel that came loose. I wouldn't call it "tense" and all personnel were up and about. Point is the ship can handle it and have been handling it for the last 20 years. If it couldn't we wouldn't be still sending ships across.

'Tis pleasant to stand on shore and watch others labouring in a stormy sea.'  ;D

Lucretius

Chief Stoker said:

Kudos to you and your crew Chief.  I've sailed through hurricanes on a tanker and a CPF, neither of which were much fun and both made me become very good friends with the heads.  I cant imagine it would be anything but violent on an MCDV. 

We had filing cabinets break away from their securing and break peoples legs, had a sailor fall off the side of ladder and bust up his back because of a heavy roll.  And that was on the tanker.  HHT might remember that trip.  We went across to the Azores, IRO's Helo crashed on deck, we had to rig lines in the dispersal area to keep water from flooding down the stores and ammo lifts.  Smoking in the dispersal too... lots of fun, cant wait to go back  :eek: :nod: 

Halifax Tar said:
Kudos to you and your crew Chief.  I've sailed through hurricanes on a tanker and a CPF, neither of which were much fun and both made me become very good friends with the heads.  I cant imagine it would be anything but violent on an MCDV. 

We had filing cabinets break away from their securing and break peoples legs, had a sailor fall off the side of ladder and bust up his back because of a heavy roll.  And that was on the tanker.  HHT might remember that trip.  We went across to the Azores, IRO's Helo crashed on deck, we had to rig lines in the dispersal area to keep water from flooding down the stores and ammo lifts.  Smoking in the dispersal too... lots of fun, cant wait to go back  :eek: :nod:

It was rough and I won't dispute that but the nature of being on a MCDV for many years in all sorts of weather most of us was used to it and business as usual. The only person in their rack the entire time was the doc who sailed on a CPF normally. What I heard was someone sent a email and picture off the ship and of course it went viral through an extended email chain, thus the story that we were ready to go down. The ships can take an incredible amount weather and still get the job done. If I can find them, I'll post up a few pictures of the sea state.

Chief Stoker said:
It was rough and I won't dispute that but the nature of being on a MCDV for many years in all sorts of weather most of us was used to it and business as usual. The only person in their rack the entire time was the doc who sailed on a CPF normally. What I heard was someone sent a email and picture off the ship and of course it went viral through an extended email chain, thus the story that we were ready to go down. The ships can take an incredible amount weather and still get the job done. If I can find them, I'll post up a few pictures of the sea state.

Would love to see them.  Getting through that strikes me as a feat of seamanship.  BZ to that crew.  I would have died from exhaustion, dehydration and starvation.

Halifax Tar said:
Would love to see them.  Getting through that strikes me as a feat of seamanship.  BZ to that crew.  I would have died from exhaustion, dehydration and starvation.
c51szqi.jpg

wSMCV2v.jpg

9bCL7gI.jpg

Just another day in the life of a Kingston Class sailor.

Chief Stoker said:
The standard we all aspired to...  :not-again:

Awesome pics though, would have been an interesting trip.

"If everybody had an ocean..."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

Mark
Ottawa

Back