• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

RCN ships in high sea states

Reminds me of taking IRQ across to the Azores.  She would completely disappear in the swells, then tower waaaay above us.  Quite the wild ride there and back.  Non stop action for two weeks.  This was the trip l was on with HT on PRE that he mentioned earlier.

jollyjacktar said:
Reminds me of taking IRQ across to the Azores.  She would completely disappear in the swells, then tower waaaay above us.  Quite the wild ride there and back.  Non stop action for two weeks.  This was the trip l was on with HT on PRE that he mentioned earlier.

You mean like this?

umcuAjA.jpg

Chief Stoker said:
You mean like this?

umcuAjA.jpg

Close, but no, l mean totally gone.  Nothing at all visable.  She was about 900m off our port side.  And when she was at the zenith, you were looking up at her at about a 45 deg. + angle.  It was like a carousel ride, quite the adventure.  About 30 seconds or so between the ups and downs, non stop.  The old man said he had seen it rougher but never prolonged like that.  The only time we weren't bouncing was when we went into the Azores to bunker.  All the way there and back from home, bounce, bounce, bounce.  ;D

Like this, Jim.  Best fun ever.

https://youtu.be/Sx57-LnuuFs

Some real cool pictures and stories here, figured I'd split this off for everyone.

Ok, l did put this one in earlier but swapped it out.  I put it back because it shows a greenie coming inside, like they were coming into the dispersal area and what it looks like off to your beam in heavy seas at the 20 and 30 second mark for all you land lubbers.  And yes, that shit is cold when it hits you.

https://youtu.be/7wZLqURGu1s

Chief Stoker said:
c51szqi.jpg

wSMCV2v.jpg

9bCL7gI.jpg

Just another day in the life of a Kingston Class sailor.

I toured the NANAIMO today - a very impressive ship and crew....

Hamish Seggie said:
I’m glad I didn’t join the RCN. Wow. Awesome stuff!

Remember I am a storesman when I say this so I cant relate to life in the field as an infanteer.  BUT lol Never once in the field did I wake up and question my life's choices, and ask "why am I here ?" At sea, almost every day...

But then we pull into some port and all the misery is forgotten...

Here was a 'little storm' we saw on MON a couple of years ago.

Not the worst I've seen.  I was holding onto the Gyro doing rounds once and read the roll angle as 42.6 degrees.

NS

Attachments

• Storm 1.JPG
    Storm 1.JPG
    224.5 KB · Views: 423
  • Storm 2.JPG
    Storm 2.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 454
  • Storm 3.JPG
    Storm 3.JPG
    151.2 KB · Views: 420
  • Storm 4.JPG
    Storm 4.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 386
A few more...

Attachments

• Storm 5.jpg
    Storm 5.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 421
  • Storm 6.jpg
    Storm 6.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 427
  • Storm 7.jpg
    Storm 7.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 412
a Video from the crossing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GX2q4i3a5MY

NavyShooter said:
Here was a 'little storm' we saw on MON a couple of years ago.

Not the worst I've seen.  I was holding onto the Gyro doing rounds once and read the roll angle as 42.6 degrees.

NS

That was probably the storm that was throwing guys around on ATH then.  Quite a few were seriously hurt when the collided with things.  Didn't do the old lady any favours either and contributed to her demise.

All those rough waters made me think, you sailors must have steel cores!  Who needs Bosu Balls when your stabilizers are firing at all hours of the day!

Explain why sailors are so good in bar fights, they turned Ali's "Rope A Dope" in to a vocation!

Answer from D Mil C on my pending VOT from Infantry to the "Senior Service" should be in any day, oh and my brother is joining the CAF, as a Boatswain.

All these photos look like a battle of the rough seas.

The sea is every sailor's enemy at times.  She is cold, heartless and relentless at times.  And she will try to take your life if things go south.  When she is in her fury, it can be fascinating, beautiful and terrifying all at the same time. 

I love her and I'll miss her, as my sailing days are done, l think.

Halifax Tar said:
One more time mess mate! Join me on Freddy!

I'm too old and broken to bounce around like old, I'm afraid.  I have to pass the torch to you younger guys.  :salute:

Couldn't agree more with Jollyjacktar.

BTW, if you look at the pics of NavyShooter, you now understand why, in Canada, we chose to set our hull mounted sonars below the ship, about one third distance from the bow, instead of in the bow, like the Americans. A sonar out of water ain't much use.

I remember one storm on the West coast when I was in MACKENZIE and we could actually see the sonar dome on YUKON when she was cresting! I assume they could do the same when looking at us, but for reason unknown (and I am sure everyone around here can attest to that), when we look at our consorts in a storm, we always feel like they have it worse than ourselves. Misery loves company, I guess!  :nod:

I always liked RASing in rough weather. It could be entertaining to watch the greenies smacking the others and watching them plunge and roll.  :nod:

Back