• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Conduct Guidelines

I was quoting a movie if i remember the line correctly.......and for the record recceguy is awesome and my HERO :D...

the higher ups, recceguy I am looking in your general direction ;) tell me that your idea is a no go, sorry buddy. It is too unenforcible.

Yeah I suppose... If recceguy thinks it...Then my Burrows logic of recceguy idolism means hes right...thinking about it...It does seem uninforcible...eh well t'was worth a try and maybe in some day and age...we will have a way to tell....
Regards,
Burrows

It was a smashing idea! its ever so frustrating to have to query a response to a question because you are not sure of the poster's experience. I know the majority of people who post on this site, only post on subjects of which they know something about, but there are always that select ::) few who go and make it hard for us to trust the accuracy of the information by some posters. it irks me, and i can tell by the replies that it irks you guys too!
keep up the awesome work!

As with anything, if it sounds to good to be true..... There's not much we can do. If the guy is talking like an old vet with lots of jargon, but posting like a twelve year old ("u" for you and "like, wassup") it's probably a good indicator. Trust your instincts, check the profile, look at the poster's other threads and if your still in doubt, politely call them on it. Ask for the source of the info, links to the references, etc. If it still doesn't ring true, click that little thing in the corner "Report to moderator". There's normally enough old hands perusing the main forums to catch a poser. They don't often venture into the Cadet house though. It's up to you guys to alert us if you can't nail down a troll. Burrows has been doing pretty good over there (don't let your head swell!) and the rest of you have done a good job helping him out. The Cadet forum has come a long way to where we (the Mods) don't have top spend alot of time watching it. Keep up the good work and call anytime. I normally spend way to much time here :blotto:

I also spend WAY too much time here, normally when I should be sleeping, just like right now. I am happy to help out wherever I can, in my limited capacity as a member/subscriber.

I know....Its becasue we are just so good...

The conduct guidelines already state:

I strongly encourage you to fill out all the sections of your public profile that you're comfortable with. We respect your privacy and won't force you to fill out your profile if you don't want to. Bear in mind though, that the amount of identifyable info in your profile will increase your general credibility here. Those with empty profiles are much harder to verify and will have to put a lot more effort into building a credible presence here.

I think encouraging Cadets to signify that in their rank is a good idea, but no more enforceable than having people fill out accurate profiles...

Just a short note to the owner, I think you have a great forum here that brings together a nice mix of older people like myself and younger CF members.

Thank you and Happy Holidays.

Thanks Cliff, I appreciate the feedback. It's really the members that make the site worth visiting though.

Cheers
Mike

Joining any forum is like learning to write military staff work, it's not what you think you're correspondence says that's important, it's what the reader may interpret that you have to be careful about. It takes care with both tone and content to ensure that the reader receives the message you are trying to project. Carelessness in either only serves to create animosity and embroil both (all) participants in a complex situation requiring time and energy to sort out, and often leaves a bad taste that affects future attemtps to communicate.

Computers have served to undermine this by promoting the delivery of messages based on first (and often emotionally charged) draft. Pre-computers, we would have an opportunity for sober second thought once the draft came back from the clerk or secretary, or while hand-writing a good copy that was going to a superior.

It's too bad when experienced participants over-react to initial message content or tone from new posters who have the potential to become members in good standing, but it's just that diligence which has protected us from tolerating and having the quality of the forums diluted while we waited for improvement without results. In the end, it's up to new members to establish their own worth, not ours to accept poor submissions that undermine the overall quality and intent of the site in hope that they will improve.

For new and old posters alike, never assume every reader of your post will share your viewpoint and basic assumptions. Clarity of the message received depends on the clarity of the message presented. The one thing you can be reasonably certain of, if your message can be mis-interpreted, it will be.

Although a review of recent thread topics shows it's not a consistent problem of late, selection of thread topics to ensure the right people are reading threads and that you're getting the best possible information in return should be kept in mind by new posters. The following was boldly ripped off from the Photoshop Forum at http://forums.devshed.com/t86198/s.html, and edited to fit here, the following guidelines offer some guidance on selection of thread subjects:

Here are some general guidelines to keep in mind when posting a question on these forums.

DON'T USE STUPID TOPIC NAMES

Post a descriptive topic name! Give a short summary of your problem in the subject. Don't use attention getting subjects, they're not fair to other users! Things like "PLEASE HELP!" or "URGENT" make your post unfairly look like a priority over other users post who need help just as much as you. Posting non-descriptive leading in topic names just to get more reads will not be tolerated.

Here's a great list of topic subjects YOU SHOULD NOT POST by freebsd:

1. Help me
2. Hello
3. You must know the answer
4. Please help this newbie
5. Today's news
6. Question for infantry / or armour / or .......
7. This one for you
8. Just wondering
9. This is too complicated for me
10. possible?
11. Very urgent
12. I have a question
13. Stupid question
14. Newbie needs help
15. pulling my hair out
16. this is driving me nuts
17. WHAT THE?!?!

Generally anything similar to those is unacceptable. Just describe, in ten words or less, the issue.

Here is a good example of a way to post a question:

"Seeking assistance researching grandfather's medals"

or even better:

"Looking for advice on Regular Force posting preferences for Artillery"

These are bad examples:

"so frustrated"
"is this a good idea?"
"Newbie needs help"
"interesting"

BE DESCRIPTIVE

1. If you're looking for advice, explain to us what your problem is (or what you think it is).

2. Remember that you know a lot more about your situation than we do. Don't assume we know just what you think you're talking about.

Back