• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re: Editorial: Carolyn Parrish on Afghanistan

FormerHordeGuard,

I agree 100% with your statement. My only question is, after all your other posts, is it yours, or someone else's?
Not that it matters much, it's true, succinct, and to the point. Just doesn't sound like you. If it's from someone else, I'd be glad to read more of their rhetoric.

Ms. Parrish's views re: US foreign policy, President Bush, General Hillier or the next Afghanistan mission may not sit well with many of us but they are not outside the Canadian mainstream.  She may be closer to the centre of Canadian socio-political thought or opinion than many, probably most of us here on army.ca

Actually Ted I'm not so sure about that...I too thought the way you do until a recent visit to the CWM (you were there) changed my thinking on that somewhat. I agree that she was elected in her riding, which we all know is a very "immigrant heavy" area and whos sympathies probably do not lie with the U.S. on many issues. (Parrish may have somewhat inflamed their opinions about the war during her election campaign...We don't know)

What I do think is that that there is a very strong and silent majority who are more "like us" than we would have believed.

Of course I could be wrong...

Slim

well ed i stand by my opinion.ijust read some her email replys to some of the people here.to me hillier is lettin canadians know the dangers and realities of what can happen in afghanistan.she doesn't have a clue imho what the risks are.i think she seen that cbc comercial about cypres and figures gate guard is all canadian soldiers can an should be aloud to do on the war on terrorism.i wonder if carolyn's opinion would change if toronto's s buses &subway were hit.imo she should be pushin the govt to increase the size of the army.when i went threw battle school the sign above door said CLOSE WITH AND DESTROY THE ENEMY.i guess in ottawa they don't have those signs over the doors in dnd buildings.me personly i hope it's an easy tour for the troops,only time will tell.and yes carolyn is intitled to her opinion just as much as you & i that is why its called a democracy.just because shes at the socio-political centre in missisauga she will probally get re-elected .she is speaking out against support for the us in a immigrant heavy area(as posted by slim)so my point is she's just tryin to get votes for the next election.typical politition,playin the angles imho....

Not to be critical bubba but could you capitalize the begining of each sentence and leave a space or two between each sentence.  It makes for reading posts that much easier.

bubba said:
... so my point is she's just tryin to get votes for the next election.typical politition,playin the angles imho....

That's precisely what she is; that's all she claims to be, really.

They, professional politicians, are a fairly new phenomenon in Canada.  Before Joe Clark most (not all, not even then) politicians came to it as a 'calling' after having established themselves in some form of business, or the law, or the civil service.

She is a pro doing whatever it takes to earn and keep her job and pension.

Well Ed I stand by my opinion.  I just read some her email replys to some of the people here.  To me Hillier is letting Canadians know the dangers and realities of what can happen in Afghanistan.  She doesn't have a clue imho what the risks are.  I think she seen that CBC comercial about Cypres and figures gate guard is all canadian soldiers can and should be aloud to do on the war on terrorism.  I wonder if Carolyn's opinion would change if Toronto's s buses & subway were hit.  IMO she should be pushin the govt to increase the size of the army.  When I went threw battle school the sign above door said CLOSE WITH AND DESTROY THE ENEMY.  I guess in Ottawa they don't have those signs over the doors in dnd buildings.  Me personly I hope it's an easy tour for the troops, only time will tell.  Yes Carolyn is entitled to her opinion just as much as you & I, that is why its called a democracy.  Just because shes at the socio-political centre in Missisauga she will probally get re-elected.  She is speaking out against support for the us in a immigrant heavy area (as posted by slim) so my point is she's just tryin to get votes for the next election. Typical pplitician, playin the angles imho....

hey CFL whats goin on,yep typin is not my thing but i'm tryin ;)by the way are you in EDMONTON.I'M headin out in sept,we should get together 4 a beer or 2 or 3.yours truely the ever humble bubba.hahaha

bubba said:
hey CFL whats goin on,yep typin is not my thing but i'm tryin ;)by the way are you in EDMONTON.I'M headin out in sept,we should get together 4 a beer or 2 or 3.yours truely the ever humble bubba.hahaha

???

hey slim why the sad face.you can come over for a beer if ya want.i thought you were in missasauga or i would of ask you to......btw i spent jan,feb& march there workin.i drank at THE FIRKIN.

it is my  post, my  words, i wrote it to the ottawa sun and they  never printed in letters to the editor.
sometimes I can make more sense.

FormerHorseGuard said:
it is my   post, my   words, i wrote it to the ottawa sun and they  never printed in letters to the editor.
sometimes I can make more sense.

What did you expect? It makes to much sense.

bubba said:
hey slim why the sad face.you can come over for a beer if ya want.i thought you were in missasauga or i would of ask you to......btw i spent jan,feb& march there workin.i drank at THE FIRKIN.

Its not sad...Just confused. Perhaps the little face couldn't understand your post?!

Edward Campbell is right MP Parrish will get relected. She knows how to play the media well,
and comes across as the high school teacher, somewhat frustrated, who was a nag. I think she
expected a Cabinet post in the Martin government, and was passed over, but she knows how
to play the game in a Minority situation - at the moment her vote is important. She would also
be aware that General Hillier's important and accurate comments about going into harm's way
in Afghanistan, along with the new NATO committment of 17,600 troops (see Military.com) means
that the CDS has the tacit approval of the PMO (MND) - although it is anticipated that Minister
Graham will be moving out of the MND office soon. Every time Ms Parrish blows her cool, the media
drop their focus on the many and more pressing issues facing the Canadian military, and give her the
full spin treatment, especially the Toronto media. MacLeod

Has anyone seen an official DND reply that has corrected her on her factual errors?  I'm not looking for an official counter opinion (these should & have come from elected officials).  However, the ADM responsible for public affairs should have a duty to correct every error presented as fact in the mainstream media (even starting with the fact that Winnipeg television could never seem to get the name of the PPCLI correct even when there was a bn in the city).

She is entitles to her opinion, but silence suggests that her facts were correct.

jmacleod said:
Edward Campbell is right MP Parrish will get relected. She knows how to play the media well,
and comes across as the high school teacher, somewhat frustrated, who was a nag. I think she
expected a Cabinet post in the Martin government, and was passed over, but she knows how
to play the game in a Minority situation - at the moment her vote is important. She would also
be aware that General Hillier's important and accurate comments about going into harm's way
in Afghanistan, along with the new NATO committment of 17,600 troops (see Military.com) means
that the CDS has the tacit approval of the PMO (MND) - although it is anticipated that Minister
Graham will be moving out of the MND office soon. Every time Ms Parrish blows her cool, the media
drop their focus on the many and more pressing issues facing the Canadian military, and give her the
full spin treatment, especially the Toronto media. MacLeod

Boy, wouldn't that be a treat if she was let back into the Liberals and became MND...
The SAT ranges would be converted to karaoke facilities to teach us how to play the accoustic guitar and sing about hand holding and flowers.

MCG said:
Has anyone seen an official DND reply that has corrected her on her factual errors?  I'm not looking for an official counter opinion (these should & have come from elected officials).  However, the ADM responsible for public affairs should have a duty to correct every error presented as fact in the mainstream media (even starting with the fact that Winnipeg television could never seem to get the name of the PPCLI correct even when there was a bn in the city).

She is entitles to her opinion, but silence suggests that her facts were correct.

Thats an excellent point. ADM(PA) should have a reality enforcement cell that seeks to correct some of the laughably inaccurate things that get printed or said about the CF.

GDawg said:
Thats an excellent point. ADM(PA) should have a reality enforcement cell that seeks to correct some of the laughably inaccurate things that get printed or said about the CF.

OUTSTANDING idea!!

Hey Anchorman!! - Are you reading this??  Stand by for PM.

GDawg said:

That's a brainstorm worth its gold right there!

Here is the "Letter Of The Day", and editor's reply, from today's Toronto Sun:

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world. Others find out, when they least expect it. The other day, the clerk in a convenience store noticed some Arabic script on my t-shirt and said "ISAF -- where is he from?" referring to the International Security Assistance Force.

When I explained I had been in Kabul with the Canadian Army, he leaned over the counter and gave me the warmest hug -- the type that comes from the heart, and speaks volumes. Suddenly I was transported back to Afghanistan and all my memories of sitting down to tea with teachers and village elders while wearing body armour and carrying a loaded weapon, never knowing if a bomb, bullet or landmine was waiting for me.

I'm only guessing, but I don't think this gentleman regarded me as the "beast" that Carolyn Parrish so ignorantly suggested. Until Parrish has "been there, done that, got the t-shirt," I suggest she stop yapping like a mutt.

Mark Bossi
Scarborough

(Wonderful story! Are you listening, Carolyn?)

P.S. (I called her a female mutt, but they edited that out ...)

Back