• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Re-enter the Battle Rifle?

Illegio said:
Yes, my mistake.

My friend, now I feel bad.  I apologize because going back and looking at my post it seems like my entire tangent is aimed at you but only the first line was.

Everything after that was just babbling on the topic.

I should have written BREAK BREAK BREAK.

Owe you a beer if you thought I was giving you the pokey chest .50 cal finger.

<---- signs up for free beer....offers free pokey chest session

NavyShooter said:
...offers free pokey chest session

We have to be drunk by that point, though.  And you will definitely hear this: "...and another thing, buds...".

("Buds" will be said in a very condescending tone to imply that we are not in fact friends at all, and it would be great if you were only 5'6").

Petamocto said:
We have to be drunk by that point, though.  And you will definitely hear this: "...and another thing, buds...".

("Buds" will be said in a very condescending tone to imply that we are not in fact friends at all, and it would be great if you were only 5'6").
The pokey chest career management technique works best if used with the three deadliest (slurred) words in the army's vocabulary, "and furthermore, general."

Note: I never did that, to the best of my recollection. I did however on occasion discuss the shortcomings of a certain hazard to navigation at the mouth of the Cataraqui River with some graduates of that august institution several steps higher on the rank ladder than your humble correspondent (who never went there.)

Petamocto said:
My friend, now I feel bad.  I apologize because going back and looking at my post it seems like my entire tangent is aimed at you but only the first line was.

Petamocto,

No harm done. I think my reply may have appeared to be overly contrite, which is why I spent about a half hour trying to edit it whilst bouncing around in the back of a G-wagen while cell reception cut in and out. My post was addressed solely to the suggestion of 600m section fire.

I take your meaning on "infantry precise" vs. "sniper precise," though I believe that it is the environment in which one operates that really distinguishes the two. After all, the fundamentals that govern general infantry marksmanship are the exact same ones that govern the sniper's craft, writ large.

Mr. Boland,

Can you elaborate on the SARP training? Google returns on Sardine/Anchovy Recruitment Project lead me to believe you may have something different in mind.

Mr.  ;D TechnoViking is correct.

SARP was the replacement of the 7.62mm Rifle/LAR systems to the 5.56mm

Kirkhill said:
D&B - does that qualify as precision support or area support?  From here that looks like a comparable fire order (showing age here) to "C2 group, 600, on axis, men in open, 30 rounds rapid, fire!"  and is different to "No. 2 rifleman, 300, 1 o'clock, man in green and white striped shirt leaning up against lamp-post waving arms about, 1 round, in your own time, fire!".

Anyone so dressed and acting out in such a way should be shot on sight anyways, on principle, as a fashion criminal  ;D

In any case, it's as precise as an infantry section should need to get out to 600m IMHO. After that, it's time to use our friend the Gimpy or, by special request, the 60mm MOR!

"SARP" (more precisely SARP 2) is already an obsolete term and has been replaced by three more that I can't remember from my couch at home.

Instead of an all-inclusive "SARP", they have broken it down further IIRC into a weapons, equipment, etc type breakdown.

Sorry my memory is fuzzy; this was from the Ex Bayonet Infantry Conference last month.  Hopefully there is a DLR/LFDTS rep on here who can clarify.

Petamocto said:
Hopefully there is a DLR/LFDTS rep on here who can clarify.
Oh, great, call in DLR!  Now God just killed a kitten!

Why is it when I hear DLR I have this uncontrolable urge to curl up and cry!

DLR is similar to America.

There are all sorts of bad feelings about "the whole", but nobody really knows someone bad from there.

DLR is filled with awesome guys who are doing a hell of a lot of work, but they're just so massively overworked and understaffed that they can't possibly get any credit (similar to a battalion Sig O).

Further, they know damn well what the field force wants and they genuinely want the troops to get good kit but they have so much red tape and politics to get through that they end up looking like the bad guys undeservedly.

I know someone bad from DLR, and you guys know me, so you know someone bad from America  ;D

Wow. I actually read that in my head just like the Team America intro.

Brit L129A1 Sharpshooter
L129A1.jpg

Kirkhill said:
And wots 'at beside 'im?

Must be a GPMG that has been torn out of a Warrior coax mount or something.

As a proper Royal Canadian, the only thing I notice about that photo was that the sharpshooter's ejection port cover is open.  I don't care about gloves.

Getting nitpicky, I know, but not a big fan of the typical AR-style stocks when shooting bipod. Have a tendency to hit the latch with the supporting hand, dumb thing collapses at inopportune moments, even though this guy's is fully collapsed already, and he's using an MG-style hold (probably for that reason, and/or to get a better stock weld.) Also not a huge fan of the Harris-style bipods - too flimsy. The old C3A1-style Versa-pods have their own hangups, but they're practically bombproof.

Illegio said:
...and he's using an MG-style hold...

Good eye, and yes correct.

I had a long talk about different shooting positions with the WMO I work with who has won just about every shooting competition ever at one point or another, and the way he explained it, your offhand should be the third point of contact under the butt so it almost makes a tripod.  That way you can just make minute adjustments with that hand instead of having to move your whole body.

With the MG hold it's purely to stop the thing from jumping around, but that wouldn't be a problem with a sharpshooter rifle on rapid rate even if 7.62.

Back