• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reasonable length of time to get memo back

applepie

Inactive
Reaction score
What is a reasonable length of time in which to expect to get a memo returned requesting access to an entitlement? Two weeks? A month? Two months?

On what subject, and who is the approving authority?

There's a big timeframe delta between a memo to the CO for something, and a memo that will end up at DCBA for a move related question.

In this particular scenario, I'm talking about accessing movement benefits that were mistakenly not provided on a posting several months ago.  The memo (addressed to the unit CO) has been passed up, corrected, passed up again, and then followed up on for weeks, but the response has continually been to "wait out...".

My concern is the financial problem associated with time spent paying for a residence on one end, and R&Q on the other, particularly with financial obligations for my dependents involved who were left behind on the other side of the country.  As time goes on, the cost increases on the part of the member (no IR or TD benefits either).

applepie said:
In this particular scenario, I'm talking about accessing movement benefits that were mistakenly not provided on a posting several months ago.  The memo (addressed to the unit CO) has been passed up, corrected, passed up again, and then followed up on for weeks, but the response has continually been to "wait out...".

My concern is the financial problem associated with time spent paying for a residence on one end, and R&Q on the other, particularly with financial obligations for my dependents involved who were left behind on the other side of the country.  As time goes on, the cost increases on the part of the member (no IR or TD benefits either).

This may not be what you want to hear, but a unit CO would have very little power to grant a member relocation related benefits beyond, supporting or not supporting the request to the appropriate authority... 

If it is IRP related, and is not with in the authority of the B Admin or or BComd, it will need to go to DCBA, who currently has a large backlog of files.  If it is related to IR benefits it will have to go to your CM.  Talk to your CoC and figure out where your request is ultimately headed for resolution.

Is this a matter of changing your posting status from prohibited to restricted? 

I've heard of plenty of folks having those requests approved by their immediate CoC months after their initial prohibited posting.  As an example: many graduates from ROTP on their first posting finish initial MOC training before having to wait an extended period of time for further training. I was under the impression that, given their stated entitlement in the CBI (as former ROTP grads), they could make a posting status change request and have it granted fairly quickly by their immediate CoC....although all of my information is anecdotal...thoughts?

A posting status change would still have to be approved by the CM, for pers that have reached their occupational functional point, or the appropriate Managing Authority for pers on the BTL.

So what would be a reasonable time to expect? I'm just looking for a ballpark timeframe to manage the expectations of my family. I'm not looking to complain - I love my job, my husband and I get that we'll have to move often over the course of my career, etc. I'm just trying to take care of my family at the same time.

Friends undergoing pilot or artillery training (following grad from ROTP program) on different bases across Canada are getting their memos to live-off and move their household goods and effects (and dependents if it applies) approved within 2 weeks of submitting them and get their move within a month of the memo being approved. The hubby is starting to get worried because the cost of separation is draining our finances (from having to pay for R&Q since rations cost more than feeding our entire family for a month, travel back-and-forth, having to give-up the multiple-vehicle insurance policy discount, etc). He also has started looking for employment in the new location but it is very frustrating when he is called for an interview and he can't give them even an approximate date as to when he'll be able to start working...

Your best bet would be to query your CoC on the status of your file and make sure that they clearly understand your situation.  Waiting months is definitely on the long side for getting the posting status changed....  Getting IR benefits however will now only cover the cost of your quarters, not rations and i have seen those approved retroactive to date of posting for pers in quarters.  As for a cost move, I've seen those approved for ROTP grads before but it may be a matter of how many cost moves the MA is budgeted for.  Every "discretionary" entitlement comes out of a pot of money somewhere and if the pot is empty, there may be issues with getting approval.

Back