• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Reconstitution

No.

Enroll in this context means “after 1 year in the program, the NEP candidate commits to a Basic Engagement in the CAF in trade x”
No does not answer an either/or question. Do they provide value (any at all) between the end of the end of their 12 weeks of training and the end of the NEP year, or are they purely observers/ passengers?

No does not answer an either/or question. Do they provide value (any at all) between the end of the end of their 12 weeks of training and the end of the NEP year, or are they purely observers/ passengers?
During the 1 year Naval Experience Program, they do not have a trade. They are, by design, being taken on a grand tour of the RCN. They are not worker bees, no.

During the 1 year Naval Experience Program, they do not have a trade. They are, by design, being taken on a grand tour of the RCN. They are not worker bees, no.
Thanks for clarifying.

This (from the offical NEP page) implied some grey area that their might be some minor output expected of them- akin to a highschool co-op or early stage apprentice
"As a recruit, you will be introduced to military life by completing the Basic Military Qualification Course, and then learn the skills required to work as a sailor during the Naval Environmental Training Program on either coast. After completing these courses, as a trained sailor, you will have the ability to complete common tasks on a ship such as seamanship and damage control and will shadow different jobs at sea and ashore."

Thanks for clarifying.

This (from the offical NEP page) implied some grey area that their might be some minor output expected of them- akin to a highschool co-op or early stage apprentice
"As a recruit, you will be introduced to military life by completing the Basic Military Qualification Course, and then learn the skills required to work as a sailor during the Naval Environmental Training Program on either coast. After completing these courses, as a trained sailor, you will have the ability to complete common tasks on a ship such as seamanship and damage control and will shadow different jobs at sea and ashore."
Sure- all true. Everyone on a ship can be called upon to do damage control. Got that tee-shirt…

But they are not holding down a line serial that the ship depends on.

Last edited:
So if it's retaining 80%, how does that match CFLRS' traditional pipeline?

We also have a glaring gap between 1500 applicants and 250 enrollees. That's likely not a NEP issue but is it CFRG delays, candidate suitability or both?

No, it does not.

43 people of a total of 246 currently enrolled in the NEP have completed their first year in the program and must make a choice: stay or release (the other 203 still have time, although, they can elect to commit to the CAF or release any time).

Of those 43, about 80% percent have been retained (not 8%, as proposed, upthread). That is pretty good- although it can rightly argued that a number of folks who were going to join anyway used it as a quick method to bypass alot of the CFRG churn.
But alot of the success should be obvious- leaders who care about their subordinates, give them interesting training and experiences. Sounds like every unit in the CAF could do that part, right?

The RCN pushed this through against great opposition in certain circles. It was deliberately kept small scale to avoid overwhelming both coasts (there are not unlimited NCMs to supervise, nor shacks to house). The next year will be the real test- do the numbers hold up?

It can’t be a total failure, if our Allies (including the USN) are sniffing around, asking how to do it.
It totally does and clearly I wasn't the only one confused by it. I interpreted it as 43 out of the 246 who were enrolled finished the program.

Nobody is saying it wasn't worth an attempt but we are questioning the dollars to donuts cost $$$ of the endeavor. The biggest issue I see is this program isn't scalable in any sort of way. You couldn't for instance, double the size of this program because the institution doesn't have the capacity to handle it and there aren't enough chairs for the bums or personnel to corral them.

If the program improves the RCNs manning, it's a win. If it doesn't, then it's a big waste of money that could be better spent elsewhere.

The RCN cant do that.

What they can do is fly/sail people places and provide experiences though. Hopefully positive experiences.

The RCN can't, but the CAF can.

RCN should be working with the CAF system, not against it. It would be like a random department of my Company going against CEOs direction LOL, makes no sense.

The RCN can't, but the CAF can.

Who says they aren't, or haven't ? All of this goes to the TBS gods to bless. And they are fickle and tight on the purse strings.

RCN should be working with the CAF system, not against it. It would be like a random department of my Company going against CEOs direction LOL, makes no sense.

How is the RCN working against the CAF system ?

We also have a glaring gap between 1500 applicants and 250 enrollees. That's likely not a NEP issue but is it CFRG delays, candidate suitability or both?
could be a variety of things. How many enrollees could they take? If it was 250 then they had an excellent result. If they were in taking a 1000 then it sucks.

The larger your applicant pool the better odds of getting the right people if your selection process works.

Who says they aren't, or haven't ? All of this goes to the TBS gods to bless. And they are fickle and tight on the purse strings.
Don't know, you would know more than me.
How is the RCN working against the CAF system ?
See comments from multiple people above re: how they had to fight others to get this to happen.

could be a variety of things. How many enrollees could they take? If it was 250 then they had an excellent result. If they were in taking a 1000 then it sucks.

The larger your applicant pool the better odds of getting the right people if your selection process works.
Yah that number doesn't necessarily matter. It's actually better to get more applications. I get dozens for a single position and we throw many away.

Don't know, you would know more than me.

See comments from multiple people above re: how they had to fight others to get this to happen.
Fighting others can sometimes mean trying to change something and resistance to change because “that’s how we have always done it”

Best thing to happen to the ARES was to take over its own recruiting. I see this as a similar thing.

Fighting others can sometimes mean trying to change something and resistance to change because “that’s how we have always done it”

Best thing to happen to the ARES was to take over its own recruiting. I see this as a similar thing.

Well, we took it over then not much happened because we stumbled over the usual bottlenecks in the system that were/ are well outside of our control.

That and the random, ridiculous edicts sent down from Bde HQ by people who needed to justify their existence of course ;)

Well, we took it over then not much happened because we stumbled over the usual bottlenecks in the system that were/ are well outside of our control.

That and the random, ridiculous edicts sent down from Bde HQ by people who needed to justify their existence of course ;)
But we also removed other bottlenecks. I can’t speak to other brigade groups though.

Back