• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruit training discipline

• Thread starter Thread starter dannybou
  • Start date Start date
Talking to a NCO, this is my understanding;
Instructors can swear, however they are not allowed to swear at a candidate. IE: "You troops are ******* slow" is allowed, but not "Bloggins, you are a piece of fuck".

Swearing, in my opinion, shows lack of vocabulary and intelligence.

If one has to resort to swearing to show what he's feeling, then he should learn to express himself correctly.

I don't think not swearing would take the "umph" out of it. If you're mean looking and agressive, it should scare the new recruits enough to make them work correctly.

Swearing is usually destructive, I'd rather hear constructive speech for motivation.

Just my opinion.

I have just completed my BMQ .they swear and yell alot as for stress cards i dont know wtf those are cause i never got them unless its a reg force thing.the hitting does not exist anymore nor does the harrassment.To be honest with you i was disappointed at how easy going they are one of the troops on a ruck sack march complained his back was hurting and the corporal drill instruster carried his ruck the rest of the march.this never would have happened 10 or 20 years ago.i think its ridiculous.

The corporal carried his rucksack?!?!  Holy crap!

On a ruck march, one of my recruits asked me if he could carry Wilson's rucksack, because Wilson was having so much trouble.  My initial thought was "One man, one kit", but I amended that pretty quickly.  "Bloggins, if you want to carry two rucksacks, go for it."  It never occurred to me to carry the second rucksack myself.  That would have been perverse.

From my experience the current directing staff Sgts are as verbally inventive as ever with one major distinction.  I always pull out the obstacle course wall example.  For my BOTP the Sgt was right there beside you yelling all manner of things into your ear.  When a person hits the six foot wal,l for example, and has difficulty, the urgency and swearing come pouring in.  However, it goes something more like:

"You're akgjalfgj better than that ajglafhg wall.  Now get the ajkgj over it."

For me this makes all the difference.  It's very serious and very motivated encouragment vice destructive personal criticisms.  Equally functional and far more positive.

Of course, experiences will vary based on platoon Warrant Officer and course officer.

what happens if you swear at you cpl or whatever, because I tend to curse alot, such things as, wtf are you talking about sir, or shut the hell* up, etc.

I would not reccomend it, think what would happen if you swore at a teacher at school, or your grandmother, etc.

what happens if you swear at you cpl or whatever, because I tend to curse alot, such things as, wtf are you talking about sir, or shut the heck* up, etc.

Being moderately familiar with the PLF's BMQ, I'd say you will find your course very long and very painful if you let a profanity slip in the direction of any of the instructors.

It may be a sign of a poor vocabulary, but lets face it, every knows when they hear cursing and what that means but not everyone is going to know what to do if the MCpl whips out a thesauras and blasts you "Webster's Style"

Not only a blasting, but it may affect the whole platoon.

Its OK to show drive and personality.  Its better to pick and chose the times and method for
doing it.  By pissing off your section, 2 IC, or platoon commander, you might be responsible
for giving your whole platoon a world of trouble.  Stick with the "Yes MCpl, no MCPL, and
three bags full MCpl!".

A nice way to sneak a bit of verbal fun is in making up marching songs if you're future
platoon is so inclined.  Our platoon, thanks to OS Lalonde, made up a great one...

Sung to the timing of a standard US Army marching song

"Join the Navy out to sea, (One of our staff was a MasterSeaman)
All the sailors wink at me,
Tie a soap onto a rope,
Pray that I don't drop my soap,
Join the Air Force learn to fly,
<forgot line here>, (I truly forgot the Air Force lyrics, anyways the Air Force shouldn't be dissed)
<forgot line here>,
<forgot  line here,  something about taking a nap>,
Join the Army dig a trench,
I picked up a little french, (as a side note, our staff were primarily French speaking members)
I don't know what they yell at me, (Most of the platoon were from the east coast and knew very little french at the beginning)
"Calise, taberwack, calise, istie",  (I have no idea how to spell)
Sound-off 03,
Sound-off 41,
0341 BRAVO - Huuhrahhh.

I guess you had to be there.  We sang it out in the front of the Mega.  Some said that it was the only time we
surprised our pl commander (except for passing the course hehe).

Anyone else find it hard not to crack a smile when the instructors are yelling at you?

We were doing a practice for a parade last weekend, and the Sgt was like "you! stop moving your rifle when you march!" and I couldn't help but smile because i'm trying to march, my weapon isn't going to be perfectly immobile, and I really wasn't moving it much.

Needless to say I got put on weapons watch. :( hehe

Funny part is, I only seem to smile when that one Sgt yelled at me... I guess it was funny because even after 3 months he still didn't know our names.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Manhandling and hitting??

In Cornwallis I had to solve a problem with my section commander behind our quarters in basic. I also remember a few cases at the RCR Battle School in Pet. :cdn:

J. Gayson said:
Instructors still scream and yell.

These days if they give you PT they have to do it as well.

Please excuse me, but that sounds a bit wimpish!! I remember when I manages to get my locker up to par, I had to dump it and mark time on the contents

Merkava said:
In Cornwallis I had to solve a problem with my section commander behind our quarters in basic.

So what you're saying is you fought your Section Commander during Basic?

archer said:
Merkava said:
In Cornwallis I had to solve a problem with my section commander behind our quarters in basic.

Lets put it this way we took our problem behind the barracks and left it there.

Well, I know everyone is disappointed that you can no longer beat the living dogshit out of some poor stupid 'cruit. I mean, failing to put his neck back in his collar, swinging his arm shoulder high, ELBOWS STRAIGHT YOU, and digging in his left heel deserve a sound thrashing. But you know, nowadays, perhaps it is best that things like that not get shown on the nightly National. Might create a wee bit of a problem, don't you think? I think if the Marines can stop the practice of marching troops into a swamp and having a few of them drown, we might be OK letting the practice of striking recruits go to the wayside. Know'Imean?

Besides, the good MCPL leaning in and quietly suggesting that I sort out a deficiency always put me on edge waaaay more than when he was just screaming at me and walking away. Sometimes less is indeed more.

Never said that I thought that was the best way, it simply happens. In my particuliar case, it was that or disciplinary action

Merkava said:
archer said:
Merkava said:

Lets put it this way we took our problem behind the barracks and left it there.

Merkava, I was just curious as to the fact that such things happened.  I apologize if I seemed like I were questioning the truth. 

archer said:
Merkava, I was just curious as to the fact that such things happened.   I apologize if I seemed like I were questioning the truth.  

No, nothing to appologize for. Now that I look back at it it does seem a bit "wierd" that I used to be like that.

Back